Search

Naxos - Amorgos

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13th, 2022, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Naxos - Amorgos

My wife and I want to spend 2 - 3 weeks hiking Naxos and Amorgos islands, mid September to mid October. If you are a traveler who has spent time on these islands, your suggestions would be helpful. We've been to Greece twice: Crete, Ionians, Vikos Gorge, but not the Cyclades, and not this late in the year.
Old Jul 14th, 2022, 05:39 AM

AMORGOS -Given your timing, I'd suggest this first, because of its small size/population, it "closes up" earlier. Of its 2 main villages, I favor Aegali for several reasons... its adorable beach (NOT "organized" with rows of sunbeds), and the charming 2 villages above it ,,, you can take a bus up & walk in between, enjoy lovely sunset from terrace of NIckolas' taverna. On the beach, we enjoyed the welcoming & unpretentious https://www.askaspension.gr - has its own cafe. Also several tavernas in heart of village. We went to magical chora (it was totally empty in late May), and then down the hill to the amazing monastery at water's edge. Be aware - public transp is VERY limited, and may be more so in late Sept. Check out car rental for a day, anyway. The fastest smoothest ferry link is BLue Star if its schedule suits, the Skopelitis is a fun bouncy ride, but not in rough water.

NAXOS - perfect ffor early Octoober,... it has large permenent population so its port-town is vibrant year-oround,... tavernas will have many diners... but they'll be the locals, who LOVE to dine out. I suggest staying at the adjacent beach -- Ag Giorgios (St GEorge), because it's a lovely shore stroll of 15 minutes to all Naxos Town attractions, and you have the bonus of a seaview balcony, & morning or evening sandy stroll or dip (the water in Oct will be sublime). Many modest price options right on the sands - Look at Studios Kalergis (ALL units beach balconies), Hotel Palatia, Hotel Glaros (IF u can get top floor w terrace), many others. I DO suggest on 1st/2nd day you take the €25 small-bus tour run by local transit of Island highlights... then you can see where u may want to return with a rental car. This top expert on hiking calls Naxos interior "a paradise for hikers" Walking, hiking and trekking on Naxos SO many things to explore in town -- the winding maze up to Kastro, its tiny superb museum, the amazing Mycenean graveyard right in the courtyard of the cathedral. Foodies loove Naxos, some tavernas feature all local products, traditional & updated cuisine. Ask local stores about vineyard tours. The list goes on... On of Fodor's TOP ace contributors, "stanbr" has 10 or more wonderful Naxos photo albums -- here are a few .
A trip around Naxos -
/A week in Naos 2014-
/NAxos Town -
/
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 08:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for VERY HELPFUL information! Especially your suggestion on visiting Amorgos first, then Naxos.
Aegiali looks like good starting point, especially for walks.
Old Jul 18th, 2022, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by soi3
My wife and I want to spend 2 - 3 weeks hiking Naxos and Amorgos islands, mid September to mid October. If you are a traveler who has spent time on these islands, your suggestions would be helpful. We've been to Greece twice: Crete, Ionians, Vikos Gorge, but not the Cyclades, and not this late in the year.
I've been to both islands with Amorgos being in 2016 and Naxos in 2013. Both times the first half of October.

Both are lovely islands but I found Amorgos to be less touristy.

Amorgos was very quiet in October and Naxos was pleasantly busy without crowds or elbowing someone to get somewhere.

Since I prefer off season travel where there are less tourists I'm not looking for shopping, night life, partying or over the top non-Greek experiences.

Not sure how much as changed since my visits especially Naxos which apparently is getting more popular as tourists are looking for alternatives to Santorini and Mykonos.

I stayed at Katopola on Amorgos and found it perfect for me. Right on the water with just a so-so beach but lovely village with backstreets, views and easy walking. Easy to get across the bay to smaller villages.

More than enough was open for shops, markets and tavernas so no problem with finding services.

Great for hiking, walking and out of the way beaches, some archeological sites and lovely Chora not to far away nor the hilltop villages on the east of the island.

I stayed in St. George Beach in Naxos, just a short walk to the waterfront and Old Town. OK beach, lots of options either in St. George or Naxos Town for services.

Naxos is the largest of the Cyclades Islands so lots to see, do and experience, lovely interior villages, archeological/historic sites, centuries old Byzantine Churches and lots more.

Either island is worthy of a visit but if I had to go back it would be Amorgos

Check out my Amorgos photos:

https://tinyurl.com/y7bqwfma

Last edited by crazyh; Jul 18th, 2022 at 08:40 AM.