Long term rental location suggestion

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2022, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year we spent 6 weeks in Providenciales Turks and Caicos in the Grace Bay area. About early January to February. It was perfect for us. We had a condo on the water with an incredible ocean view. The location was very walkable to restaurants and shops. We had golf and activities so close we didn't need a car. We could walk on the beach at night. The ocean was calm and swimmable. We're looking to do something similar, but preferably in a location we haven't visited before. I'm looking for location recommendations with similar amenities. I think walkability to restaurants and a beautiful calm beach are my priorities. Right now I'm looking at Tamarindo Costa Rica. The water doesn't look calm, but I think it would check the rest of my boxes. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thanks!
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 10:07 AM

<<...We're looking to do something similar, but preferably in a location we haven't visited before...>>

Other than the Grace bay area on Providenciales (Turks & Caicos) and presumably Tamarindo Costa Rica (since you are considering it) it would help if you told us other places you have visited so responders here don't waste their and your time giving you suggestions on places you've been tp previously.

That said, there are literally scores of islands throughout the where you can rent beachfront or beach access villas and condos that meet most, if not all, of your criteria.

Do you have a particular rental budget in mind?

For starters, look at the Cruz Bay area of St. John, Jolly Harbour on Antigua, the Frigate Bay area on St. Kitts, Pretty much any location on the Caribbean side of Nevis, the Shoal Bay area on Anguilla, a number of different arras on Virgin Gorda, Grand Case and other areas on St. Martin, Grand Ans Beach on Grenada.
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 11:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Roams!

I've been looking at Frigate/Basseterre. The area looks nice and they have a great golf course. I haven't found a rental close enough to the beach for my taste yet though.

We've been to St. Martin, but we've never stayed at Grand Case. That's actually been my front runner due to the excellent dining and calm water. As I recall the bars are plenty lively for older married folk, and they have occasional festivals, carnivals, etc. That could definitely work.

We've been all over the USVI and BVI. We sail some in the BVI, so we'd rather not go there, plus I think we're looking for a slightly larger town with more restaurants than anywhere I can think of in the virgin islands. I'll look into your other suggestions, Antigua, Anguilla, Grenada, and Kitts/Nevis would be great as we haven't been. Maybe I should retract my statement about not wanting to go back to somewhere we've been. I think that limitation would do more harm than good as we've been to Grand Case but we'd definitely consider going back.

Budget isn't a huge factor. I think we paid around 40k for the Turks and Caicos. I've seen several places in Tamarindo around 10-20k I really like. Same with Grand Case.

Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 01:36 PM

For your budget, I wonder if you could get one of the gorgeous residences at the Four Seasons in Anguilla. The two beaches either side (Meads Bay & Barney’s Bay) are beautiful, even more so than Grace Bay IMO.
Several advantages with Anguilla, lots of restaurants both independent & within hotels which are really good plus beach shacks & BBQ when fine dining every night gets a bit much, friendly island but not much to do. I prefer Meads Bay area to Shoal Bay East, I feel it’s a bit remote. Food scene is great. I like Grand Case as well, the beach there is beautiful, supermarkets lots of things imported from France, cheeses, wines etc, makes staying in a condo easy.
St Barths is another favourite of mine, beaches not quite like Grace Bay but it’s a chic island with prices to match.

Other French islands such as Martinique or Guadeloupe could be interesting too, with a great budget I’m sure you could find something less rustic as some of the accommodation tends to be. Les Salines in Martinique has to be one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve seen.

Barbados has great beaches in St James area & they’ll be upscale accommodations for sure.

I think you could find what your looking for on several islands.

Old Feb 7th, 2023, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by balthy
For your budget, I wonder if you could get one of the gorgeous residences at the Four Seasons in Anguilla. The two beaches either side (Meads Bay & Barney’s Bay) are beautiful, even more so than Grace Bay IMO.
Several advantages with Anguilla, lots of restaurants both independent & within hotels which are really good plus beach shacks & BBQ when fine dining every night gets a bit much, friendly island but not much to do. I prefer Meads Bay area to Shoal Bay East, I feel it’s a bit remote. Food scene is great. I like Grand Case as well, the beach there is beautiful, supermarkets lots of things imported from France, cheeses, wines etc, makes staying in a condo easy.
St Barths is another favourite of mine, beaches not quite like Grace Bay but it’s a chic island with prices to match.

Other French islands such as Martinique or Guadeloupe could be interesting too, with a great budget I’m sure you could find something less rustic as some of the accommodation tends to be. Les Salines in Martinique has to be one of the most beautiful beaches I’ve seen.

Barbados has great beaches in St James area & they’ll be upscale accommodations for sure.

I think you could find what your looking for on several islands.
We just got back from Grand Case. We found a perfect airbnb right at the end of the restaurant strip/main drag. Just had a wonderful time. The only complaint from our group was there St. Martin doesn't have golf. We're considering Anguilla for next year, or maybe even Anguilla for half, and Grand Case for half, but we'd still love to hear other recommendations if anyone has them.