Search

Berlin Neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2022, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Berlin Neighborhoods

Hi,
Hoping to go to Berlin for about 5 days in early November. My husband and I like to stay in hotels, not American chains, out of commercial, touristy area. We like central, residential neighborhoods, where city residents go about daily life, near schools, supermarkets, parks.

I have no idea of the atmosphere in various neighborhoods. We live in NYC and I would not want to stay in the Financial District, Times Sq, Midtown (like 6th/57th or Lexington/52nd). Looking for areas like the Village, Upper Eastside, Gramercy Park.

Would appreciate any descriptions, suggestions, opinions as to neighborhoods and/or hotels.
Thanks.
Kate
Old Jun 15th, 2022, 06:20 AM

For neighborhoods, it is hard to beat the Bergmannkiez (the streets around Bergmannstrasse) which is between U-Bahn stations Mehringdamm, Gneisenaustrasse, and further south is Tempelhof airport. It has its own market hall with fruits & veggies & meats where one side sells fresh product and the other sells it as freshly prepared food. The street is choc-a-bloc with restaurants and coffee houses. A couple blocks up Mehringdamm is the original home of Curry 36, which has superb currywurst (best "ohne darm" - - a skinless sausage developed after the war when sausage casings were in short supply, but lends itself really well to grilling).
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 12:48 AM

Somewhere more central - Charlottenburg; it is a bit more residential. Shopping options are ample.

A bit more tranquil - Dahlem, Zehlendorf,
Old Sep 14th, 2022, 09:37 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Near SavignyPlatz, hotel Vivaldi, formerly hotel Aida.