Search

Madrid for the first time

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2022, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid for the first time

Hello everyone!!

My wife and I will be travelling to Turkey (Istanbul and Cappadocia) this fall. On the way back, we have a stopover in Madrid for 12 hours. We would like to take the opportunity to discover Madrid

Any recommendation on private tours in Madrid?

Traditional places to eat?

Thank you very much in advance!!!
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:45 AM

You've got the stopover? Less time into the city plus the time back to the airport. Leaving you maybe seven hours?

Doesn't sound like much time for a tour.
Old May 21st, 2022, 09:57 AM

I know it is not much time , but We would like to try to get out of the airport and discover the city a little bit.
Old May 21st, 2022, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Susan_McCarthy1977
I know it is not much time , but We would like to try to get out of the airport and discover the city a little bit.
Understand..who wants to sit at the airport for hours.
If you cannot get a tour, you might take a taxi ( 30 e )to the upscale part of Madrid called Salamanca. It borders beautiful Retiro park.
The area is know for lovely streets , best shops and excellent restaurants. It is a bit closer to the airport than the very center of Madrid ..
Old May 21st, 2022, 11:48 AM

I would do exactly what canon suggests.
Take the fixed rate taxi to the Salamanca district for a walk around, window shopping, relaxing, having lunch at a nice restaurant or at an outdoor café on or around the Puerta de Alcalá facing Retiro Park, plus a walk through the park where there are refreshment kiosks and multiple dining options at Florida Park, facing the Avenida Menéndez Pelayo.
Tell the taxi drive to take you to Puerta de Alcalá (Plaza de la Independencia) and walk around the beautiful Salamanca neighborhood from there.

Last edited by Maribel; May 21st, 2022 at 12:09 PM.
Old May 21st, 2022, 01:24 PM

The above suggestions are good ones. But for a quainter Madrid, you could alternatively consider taking the metro from the airport to Puerta del Sol, stroll more or less southwards through the old Huertas neighborhood towards the Atocha train station, stopping at whatever small cafe or tapas bar you choose (there are lots of them), then at Atocha, take a metro or cercanias ("vicinity") train back to the airport. (This assumes that your luggage will be "checked through" the Madrid airport, or if not, that you'll be able to find airport storage.)
The Salamanca neighborhood is great, though it's a little "upscale" for my tastes, and the Retiro park is a fine one; but you will find upscale neighborhoods and fine parks all over the world. The route I suggested above will, I think, be more uniquely Madrid.

Last edited by Faedus; May 21st, 2022 at 01:31 PM.
Old May 21st, 2022, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Faedus
The above suggestions are good ones. But for a quainter Madrid, you could alternatively consider taking the metro from the airport to Puerta del Sol, stroll more or less southwards through the old Huertas neighborhood towards the Atocha train station, stopping at whatever small cafe or tapas bar you choose (there are lots of them), then at Atocha, take a metro or cercanias ("vicinity") train back to the airport. (This assumes that your luggage will be "checked through" the Madrid airport, or if not, that you'll be able to find airport storage.)
The Salamanca neighborhood is great, though it's a little "upscale" for my tastes, and the Retiro park is a fine one; but you will find upscale neighborhoods and fine parks all over the world. The route I suggested above will, I think, be more uniquely Madrid.
Interesting option, although I don’t remember a direct metro line from the airport to Sol or from Atocha to the airport..
Perhaps from and to T4 ?
Madrid is a big city with many different neighborhoods :
some upscale, some more “ local” ,some not very attractive.
After many visits, I still don’t know what is “uniquely Madrid “.
Old May 21st, 2022, 02:34 PM

Please do not take the metro from the airport to the bustling Puerta del Sol (which now has some construction work going on). The metro ride will be time consuming, it requires two line changes and currently due to the ongoing works on line 8, it requires a transfer bus between the line 8 stations of Colombia and Mar de Cristal. Currently this would be very confusing for a first time visitor. But the works on line 8 should be completed by June 1, nevertheless I wouldn't recommend it for a first time visitor as an easy way to reach the Puerta del Sol or Old Madrid from the airport.

If you want to see a more "quaint" Old Madrid, I would take the cercanías (commuter/suburban) train from the T4 of the airport to Atocha rail station. The trains take 30 minutes and depart every 15 minutes. Or a taxi, if you prefer. Or from all terminals, there is the Express Airport bus, which takes about 40 minutes and costs only 5 euros.

From Atocha station, to reach the Huertas neighborhood (aka Barrio de las Letras), mentioned above, I would cross over to the Paseo del Prado and walk north, past the Reina Sofía, Caixa Forum and Prado art museums, up to the fountain, Fuente Neptuno (Plaza Cánovas del Castillo), then west to the Plaza las Cortes with the Parliament building (Las Cortes) on your right and the Hotel Palace on your left.

From the Hotel Palace, walk up west on Calle del Prado to the lively Plaza Santa Ana. This square is lined with outdoor terraces.
In the Barrio de las Letras/Huertas/Cortes neighborhood--the streets of Prado, Cervantes, Lope de Vega, Huertas, Santa María, Moratín and the Plaza de Jesús are filled with tapas bars, cafés and independent boutiques.

And due to the high concentration of hotels, airbnbs, hostales, this area is the most tourist-filled.

Last edited by Maribel; May 21st, 2022 at 03:12 PM.
Old May 21st, 2022, 07:39 PM

As for the term "uniquely Madrid," questioned a little above: the people of Madrid themselves appear to grasp the concept, for they have a special term, "castizo," for a person who has grown up in one of the central neighborhoods of La Latina, Huerta, and Lavapies -- a "real" Madrileńo, in other words.
Old May 21st, 2022, 08:33 PM

I did a quick internet search and see there are several companies that do layover tours that will pick you up and drop you back off at the airport. I can't vouch for any of them as I haven't taken advantage of their services, but you might want to check a few out.
Old May 21st, 2022, 08:51 PM

I was in Madrid twice: 2016 (3 days) and 2019 (5 days). The capital of Spain is one of my favorite cities in Europe. You will love Madrid and its incredible atmosphere.

I would like to share with you some tips 😉

Traditional places to eat: Food in Madrid is delicious. You cannot leave Spain without tasting Rioja wines, Manchego cheese and Iberic Ham.

Traditional Restaurants: If you like meat I recommend you Pelotari and Casa Botin (the oldest restaurant in the world according to Guinness World Records).

If you wanna try some traditional tapas I recommend you Casa Alberto. Tapas there are just amazing. Finally, the calamari sandwich is very traditional. Our guide in Madrid recommended us Bar la Campana. DELICIOUS!!!

Regarding private tours in Madrid, I can also give you some recommendations.

When we were in 2019, we decided to do our first private tour in Madrid. Some friends recommended us to book a private tour with OgoTours. They are a small family-owned company and offer guided tours in Madrid and surroundings. Our guide was fantastic, very attentive and gave us lots of interesting information about the city. The tour lasted 3 hours and we visited the Old Madrid. If you don’t have much time, they can even pick you up and drop you off at the airport. After the pandemic I am not sure if OgoTours is still operating, but the website is still active and there are new reviews. https://ogotours.com/madrid-private-tours/

We also took a tapas tour with Devour Madrid. It was definitely one of our highlights of our trip to Madrid. But I think you don’t have time for that hehehe. Next time! https://devourtours.com/destinations/spain/madrid/

I hope all this information will be helpful for your next visit to Madrid!!!
Old May 22nd, 2022, 07:36 AM

“Plaza Santa Ana. This square is lined with outdoor terraces.
In the Barrio de las Letras/Huertas/Cortes neighborhood--the streets of Prado, Cervantes, Lope de Vega, Huertas, Santa María, Moratín and the Plaza de Jesús are filled with tapas bars, cafés and independent boutiques.

And due to the high concentration of hotels, airbnbs, hostales, this area is the most tourist-filled.”

The OP is only passing through the city so whatever they see will be
just a glimpse.
On our first few visit to Madrid , years ago, we stayed close to Sol , then near Santa Ana. We liked the local vibe but not the tourist filled streets and restaurants. In the following years we “ moved” to staying in Salamanca for its residential feel, tree lined streets, charming architecture …and all the rest.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 08:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you are adding foods, the black foot ham is wonderful with a salty sherry.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 11:07 AM

danon,
During the past Christmas season in Madrid visiting friends/family we spent the first 7 nights in our favorite area of Salamanca, my former home, where I've studied and lived with my late Madrid native husband.
Then, because of our last minute cancellation of a Lisbon trip, we needed to move to a hotel in Huertas on Calle del Prado that had last minute availability. There we spent 9 nights (the 9 nights we were to be in Lisbon) then moved back to Salamanca.

So like you, I know well the very different feel of both areas and like you, I now personally prefer the more residential feel of Salamanca, Justicia and Chamberí (where I believe you've stayed at The Pavilions). I've thoroughly explored the "castizo" areas of the city mentioned above and just prefer something different, but as a frequent visitor and Madrid lover, like you

Robert
The Huertas to Sol area has become over the years far more tourist-centered, given the sheer number of hotel beds and problematic tourist apartments. (Similar to Seville's Barrio de Santa Cruz.)
That said, Huertas is very popular and handy for a first time Madrid stay or short glimpse, given its proximity to the Art Triangle and walkability. That's why I gave you a short walking tour of Huertas as an alternative.
Casa Alberto, a "castizo", century-old establishment, mentioned above, is on Calle Huertas, and is a stop on the Devour Madrid circuit.
Las Campanas is another "castizo" bar off the Plaza Mayor specializing in bocadillos de calamares, if you want to continue west beyond the Plaza del Angel, down Calle de la Bolsa to Plaza Santa Cruz to the Plaza Mayor.
(But Pelotari is a posh Basque restaurant in the Salamanca district.)

The Puerta del Sol now is undergoing a giant "beautification" project with construction works that will last until 2023. They're removing the "ballena" (entrance to the metro), and It will eventually look something like this-
https://elpais.com/espana/madrid/202...-de-renfe.html.

Robert,
If you want a professional guide who does work for Rick Steves to take you around on a walking tour, you can contact Spain Fred. His company can probably even pick you up and return you to the Madrid airport. They offer 2 and 4 hour walking tours of Old Madrid. It will be expensive, as all private tours are in Spain, but perhaps worth it to you.
https://spainfred.com/tour/kaleidoscope-madrid/

Another company that can arrange this is Madrid Museum Tours, with licensed, professional guides. While they give museum tours with an art historian, they also do several different walking tours and have been in business since 1997. I've used them multiple times. But again, just for 2 people, this won't be cheap.
https://madridmuseumtours.com/en/pri...walking-tours/

Last edited by Maribel; May 22nd, 2022 at 11:24 AM.
Old May 22nd, 2022, 12:59 PM

Having tapas like a local in La Latina
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer...M_n0UfSteGaLVT

Old May 22nd, 2022, 01:25 PM

Revulgo,
Your lists are always great. I was just reading this morning about the 93-yr old tabernero, Amadeo Lázaro with 80 years behind him at the bar Casa Amadeo. Now that's something!

https://www.traveler.es/articulos/ca...ELER_EDITORIAL.

A review for others in English-
https://www.cntraveler.com/restauran...-los-caracoles

Last edited by Maribel; May 22nd, 2022 at 01:33 PM.
Old May 27th, 2022, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Oh my God, thank you all so much for the useful information!!!!!
Old May 27th, 2022, 03:20 PM

Robert,
If you want a professional guide who does work for Rick Steves to take you around on a walking tour, you can contact Spain Fred. His company can probably even pick you up and return you to the Madrid airport. They offer 2 and 4 hour walking tours of Old Madrid. It will be expensive, as all private tours are in Spain, but perhaps worth it to you.
https://spainfred.com/tour/kaleidoscope-madrid/

Another company that can arrange this is Madrid Museum Tours, with licensed, professional guides. While they give museum tours with an art historian, they also do several different walking tours and have been in business since 1997. I've used them multiple times. But again, just for 2 people, this won't be cheap.
https://madridmuseumtours.com/en/pri...walking-tours/Last edited by Maribel; May 22nd, 2022 at 12:24 PM.

----------------------------------------------

I agree with Maribel.

A private guide may be expensive , but you also will maximize your time.

The Salamanca district is beautiful and if you are there on a Wednesday you can go to the top of the City Hall for great views.

( Wednesday is the only day you can go to the tower on top FREE , my guide told me this as it is not advertised.!!)

In touring my mindset is that " I don't mind paying more if I am seeing more."

Have a nice time, you will looove Madrid.