Central/Northern European Hop Around

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12th, 2022, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello! Last night I hatched a template for a central-northern European trip that starts in Berlin and ends in Riga. Would love your insights on each place, sights/activities you enjoyed, if you think any given place really needs more time than I’ve allotted, if there’s a worthy day trip from any one of the bases, etc.

I would like to add a couple days in a relaxing, charming resort town on the sea somewhere so if you know any please suggest.

The numbers in (parentheses) are nights in each place. Traveling in September.

Berlin (3-4)
-train to
Munich (2-3)
-fly to
Gdańsk (2)
-fly to
Helsinki (2)
-ferry to
Tallinn (2)
-bus or train to
Riga (3)
-fly home
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, that is fast paced, but at least you're counting nights. I loved Riga, but two full days might be enough. I wasn't overly impressed with Helsinki, but one day does seem a bit short. For my trip Helsinki - Tallinn - Riga start here (links at the top of the page):

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ain-and-shine/

That may also be a bit short for Berlin, especially if you are in to museums and also want to see Potsdam. Start here: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...i-and-sans-ac/
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 08:47 AM

Too many flights and an illogical order.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by thursdaysd
Well, that is fast paced, but at least you're counting nights. I loved Riga, but two full days might be enough. I wasn't overly impressed with Helsinki, but one day does seem a bit short. For my trip Helsinki - Tallinn - Riga start here (links at the top of the page):

https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ain-and-shine/

That may also be a bit short for Berlin, especially if you are in to museums and also want to see Potsdam. Start here: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...i-and-sans-ac/
Yes, it is fast paced particularly when combined with this many flights (vs car/train). I generally don’t go for this fast of pace but I’m open to pushing it this time. I have the same thoughts on Helsinki but sandwiched between a flight & a ferry I sensed giving it just one night would be physically/mentally uncomfortable but I might rethink this. Thought on Riga is noted as well.

I think I had a look at your Baltic report a while back. I’ll review again and have a look at the Berlin report too. Thanks for sharing.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hetismij2
Too many flights and an illogical order.
Can’t argue with you on the flights, it’s a lot in a compact time, I’m aware. How do you find the order illogical? What would a logical order be? I couldn’t figure out a better way but I’d love to improve on it if possible.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 10:30 AM

How do you find the order illogical? What would a logical order be?
I'm not hetismij2, but from the map, it looks like starting in Munich would make much more sense. Skipping Munich would help, too. However, Berlin to Gdansk by train still takes all day, and flying into Berlin may be cheaper than Munich.

I also thought about Gdansk to Riga and flying home from Helsinki, but Kaliningrad is in the way of the direct overland route, plus it's a long bus ride either way. So looks like you're stuck with the flights.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:04 AM
Original Poster

I'm not hetismij2, but from the map, it looks like starting in Munich would make much more sense. Skipping Munich would help, too. However, Berlin to Gdansk by train still takes all day, and flying into Berlin may be cheaper than Munich.

I also thought about Gdansk to Riga and flying home from Helsinki, but Kaliningrad is in the way of the direct overland route, plus it's a long bus ride either way. So looks like you're stuck with the flights.
Right, that’s how I got to this plan. Berlin & Gdańsk are fixed targets for us. Munich got thrown in because there’s a non-stop flight out to Gdańsk. Then Helsinki got thrown in because there’s a nonstop from Gdańsk. The alternative would be train from Gdańsk to Warsaw, stay a couple nights then fly to Tallinn. We’ve already been to Warsaw so we decided Helsinki makes more sense. Even though Helsinki isn’t of a whole lot of interest to me, we could use it for some easy going, restful time. Once I get into real, dedicated research/planning it’s possible I flip for the Warsaw option.

The inclusion of Gdańsk is really what dictates this kinda clunky path overall. It’s just not easy to get in & out of. But we skipped it last time for this very reason so the point is to not do that again.

I hate saying this but I’ve been really regretting not having made it to Kyiv while I could. That’s not a small part of wanting to hit up Tallinn & Riga in case things really go sideways. Husband has been wanting Berlin & Gdańsk for ages so.. here we are.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:28 AM

Yes, I regret Kyiv too. But I did make to Lviv back in 2006. Loved it, made my revisit list, never made it back. Western Ukraine photos: https://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/...Kolomiya-Lviv/

When is this trip??
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 11:40 AM
Original Poster

Yes, I regret Kyiv too. But I did make to Lviv back in 2006. Loved it, made my revisit list, never made it back. Western Ukraine photos: https://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/...Kolomiya-Lviv/

When is this trip??
Thank you! Can’t wait to read this over tonight. Trip would be in September. Past the heat & heavy tourist season but before possible Covid spike. I know things could change by then in terms of conflict. Plan to make flexible hotel reservations. Change flight to fly home from Paris (revamp entire trip) or something if necessary.
Old Mar 12th, 2022, 12:53 PM

Best of luck! I'm immuno-compromised, so no idea when I'm going anywhere, but you are certainly reviving memories. Really good memories...
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 01:20 AM

Best of luck! I'm immuno-compromised, so no idea when I'm going anywhere, but you are certainly reviving memories. Really good memories...
Looking at it, I think Munich is the outlier. Also, there's a nighttrain Berlin-Stockholm and a ferry Stockholm - Helsinki, all overnight, maybe factor that in too, and concentrate on the nordics. Even Berlin seems strangely placed and could perhaps be the end of the trip, not the beginning.
Old Mar 13th, 2022, 09:03 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i think Munich is an outlier too

less is more