Portugal/Northwest Spain October 2022

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2022, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tickets are purchased, itinerary is done but flexible. Would like to start booking hotels but feel like I need to finalize my itinerary a little more. We will be arriving/leaving out of Lisboa and driving the rest of the trip. Our intention is to see Portugal and visit Oviedo/Aviles (family’s surname). This is what I have so far

Lisboa - 4 nights (visit Sintra)
Lisboa to Obido - 1 night
Obido to Coimbra - 1 night (visit Nazare-Fatima)
Coimbra to Douro - 2 nights
Douro to Leon - 1 night
Leon to Oviedo - 3 nights (Avilés, Gijón, Oviedo)
Oviedo to Santiago DC - 1 night
Santiago DC to Porto - 4 nights
Porto to Lisboa - 2 nights
Pickup car at Lisboa airport when heading to Obido and dropping off in Porto. Porto to Lisboa would be by train.

Am I being too aggressive? Any suggestions on the itinerary is greatly appreciated.

Also, I’m a bit overwhelmed with information about areas where to stay in Lisboa and Porto. Access to the Tram and major sites is important.
Thank you in advance for all your suggestions and recommendations.

Last edited by eddiemariaviles7885; Mar 1st, 2022 at 07:43 AM.
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 08:00 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't yet been to Portugal, so take this with a grain of salt, but we had a lot of help from Maribel (a poster here who will probably chime in shortly) as well as a local Helena, who also posts here.

Based on their experience and guidance, we've booked the Eurostars Porto Centro in Porto which is around the corner from the train station, walkable, quiet and with an excellent breakfast (we will be traveling by train and bus).

In Lisbon, we have booked an apartment one minute from the Rossio Metro, which I'm told is central and flat, albeit a bit busy.

In Douro, we've booked the Vintage Hotel, which is walking distance from the Pinaho train station, and we plan to visit a handful of wineries that are walking distance from Pinhao.

Good luck with your planning. I have found planning for Portugal rather challenging and I'm anxious to see how it all plays out. We leave at the end of the month.

Old Mar 1st, 2022, 08:14 AM

We did this trip in 2006, starting from Porto and ending up in Lisbon. You might want to take a look at my trip report, Click on my name and brwose through my reports to find it.

https://flic.kr/p/7MXfQd https://flic.kr/p/7NqHKt https://flic.kr/p/7NuJw7
and for Spain, this is the album:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsjoT7v7R
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

Melnq8 Thanks for your response. I will look into both those hotels. Enjoy your upcoming trip and can't wait to hear how it went. Maybe you can update me on this thread.

Last edited by eddiemariaviles7885; Mar 1st, 2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old Mar 1st, 2022, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Michael Thanks for sharing your albums. I will take some time to look at them and get back with any further questions.

Last edited by eddiemariaviles7885; Mar 1st, 2022 at 09:51 AM.