A week in England and Wales

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a week to spend in England and Wales. I値l be landing early Saturday morning in London and flying out from London or Manchester the following Sunday. I知 needing help figuring out a itinerary for the week. I知 hoping to spend two or three days in the London area. Exploring the city one day and maybe taking a day trip to the Lake District or something like that. I知 wanting to spend most of my time in Wales. Starting in Cardiff and making my way up to Snowdonia. Is this possible? And what痴 the best route to take to see the must see areas. Im thinking Cardiff to Aberystwyth to Snowdonia. Stopping along the way to see things. I知 just not sure how many days in each place I need.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 09:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Have you been to London before? Have you been to the UK before?? Are you planning on driving or using public transport??? And finally - what time of year is the trip????

But just in general, if you want to see Wales from the far SE to the far NW -- you'd want your full week in just Wales (and still miss quite a lot)

"Exploring the city one day and maybe taking a day trip to the Lake District or something like that" -- The Lake District is definitely not a day trip from London

Old Feb 19th, 2022, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

I must be thinking of something else instead of the Lake District. Whoops. I may just stick to London and South Wales and use it as an excuse to go back later to see the rest.
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 11:18 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
It would help if you'd provide some of the other info -- are you planning on driving or using public transport? What sorts of things do you want to see/do? When is the trip -- time of year can make a lot of difference in places, like North Wales for sure.

But to give you a starting point - Just the driving journey from say LHR > Cardiff > St Davids > Aberystwyth > Snowdonia > Caernarfon > Conwy > MAN would fill a VERY busy week, leaving no time for London or any other bits of Wales - have you been to London before?
Old Feb 19th, 2022, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are primarily interested in Wales it would make more sense to fly in and out of Manchester and do a loop. If you want some city time Manchester or Liverpool would work, and London can easily consume a week and still leave plenty undone. Even if you fly into Heathrow, London is in the wrong direction for Wales (and you would take the train to Cardiff, not drive there right off a night flight).

BTW, driving in Wales is not for the fainthearted. A few years back I used public transport for north Wales (start here): https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...stle-and-more/
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 02:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Great advice above, I see little to add but

When are you coming? Wales can be very wet, London is amazingly dry and has more places you can run into. Unless you are coming in high season I'd advise people to have two plans for everyday depending on weather (one indoors). Still there is no such thing as bad weather just the wrong clothing.

Welsh roads, take google time and add at least 40%

Old Feb 26th, 2022, 10:21 AM

Bristol is close enough to Wales to see as you land at the Bristol international airport. Google tells me Cardiff is about 45 minutes on public transit from Bristol (which itself is worth a day.) Then fly home from London. Northern Wales, and on to Manchester, is sure to be scenic, but not a very efficient route for your very short visit. Be sure to arrange the flights through a multi-destination search function, all on a single itinerary.