Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bahn, car rental questions (Offenburg, Strasbourg, Paris)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi and thanks in advance for your help. After hibernating at home for the last couple years, we're venturing out again later this year - fully vaccinated, boosted (within 6 months of trip), hale and hearty. Yay us!

Disclaimers - yes, I know, COVID; I speak passable German; and I've been to Germany and France which makes this a return trip.

We'll be staying in Leipzig and then taking the train alll the way to Strasbourg, where we'll rent a car and drive to our Airbnb in rural Alsace, France. I've been to Offenburg and Strasbourg before, briefly. I had planned a separate day or two in Strasbourg, so this would be a bonus or interstitial trip - an opportunity to stretch our legs after a long train ride.

- after the long trip, do you recommend spending time in one city over the other (Offenburg vs. Strasbourg)?

I'm more comfortable speaking German, which would have us walking/eating in Offenburg before we head over to France and I start stammering through that language, but what would you recommend for an hour or so? Is it better just to stay in the train station and head to Strasbourg? I'm NOT looking for an epic experience, just a break during transportation.

I also have a few DB questions for those who know more. I've ridden it but am rusty on a few points.

- we should reserve our seats, yes? I've done that since surviving a "breathing room only" ride in the UK several years ago. Are those tight-squeeze trips a thing of the past now that COVID's here?
- is it worthwhile, in your opinion, to go First Class instead of Second on a DB train for a trip than is 2+ hours? One companion will be close to 60 and the other will be close to 70. Both are active, healthy, etc., and I want them to enjoy themselves. As an example, I paid a bit more for a "quiet car" in Italy and it impressed to no end. I don't know why - I'm more basic, I guess - but it did, and I want them to have good memories of Germany and France
- the DB site is easier, or maybe just more familiar to me, than the TGV/SNCF site; they run a Strasbourg>Paris trip, yes? I think I remember seeing that, but I don't remember why they do it, other than DB being a private company not limited to a particular country, which of course is a perfectly rational answer
- is there an advantage to ordering a short-haul train ride in advance (like Offenburg>Strasbourg)? Of course we'll order in advance for the longer trip, Leipzig>Strasbourg, but I don't know how much it matters on short trips. I'm trying to balance spontaneity with my incessant want to plan *everything.*

Aaand I have questions on the car rental, too, especially since I saw that since 2012, renters of cars in France are required to carry a Breathalizer (sp?) with them, and the on-the-spot fine is steep if they don't have one.

- I've never rented a car outside the US before. Do you know if the rental cars come with them, if they can be purchased at the rental agency, or if they're sold at other places?

Whew, that's a lot! Grateful for the wisdom you lend on any part of it. Thank you.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 10:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Actually, nearly all of the people dealing with the public in Strasbourg speak German (just as most such people of Offenburg speak passable French).

The breathalyzer obligation in France was abandoned long ago. The only real obligation in rental cars is the security vest and triangle which you can find in all rental cars in France. The only thing to be careful about is that these two items must be inside the car and not in the trunk (to reduce the risk of death if there is an incident -- it would be unfortunate to be killed while going to the trunk to get these items, and yes, it has happened).
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 10:42 AM

Offenburg is practically across the Rhine from Strasbourg. You can take a local train or maybe a bus. But I would go directly from Leipzig to Strasbourg.

For car rentals, use Kemwel.com or Autoeurope.com to get an idea of a base price, they are sister companies with slight variations in terms of providers. If your credit card will carry the CDW, you can choose the basic rate, although that implies paying for any repairs and then filing a claim with your Visa provider. If you plan to return the car to the same agency, a "local" rental might be cheaper. Rent from Autoeurope or Kemwel now, and you can always change your mind. Both offer full reimbursement if canceled more than 72 hours before the rental date (check this for possible recent changes), and the sooner you rent, the more likely will the price be lower.

Personally I find the second class in long distance trains comfortable and see no need to go first class.
Old Jan 3rd, 2022, 06:19 PM

Hi Kandace, nice to hear from you. I am with Michael, second class on German trains is no hardship, but first class will give you a quieter experience with a bit more space to spread out. There are often more seats available in first class, but really, second is comfortable and mostly clean. The advantage to getting tickets early is the ability to reserve seats, and if you are going from Leipzig to Strasbourg I would certainly reserve seats (except for on regional trains, if there are any on your journey, that's not a thing). It is not fun being on a train and realising that your seat is occupied from a stop further on than when you boarded (signalled by electronic messages in the panel above the seats).

I hear rental cars have been very expensive everywhere since Covid. There may be an advantage to renting and returning to the same location or renting in a big city, I just don't know. Do shop around, it might make a big difference.

Lavandula
Old Jan 4th, 2022, 04:53 AM

paris çok güzel yer.
Old Jan 17th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, everyone.

We'll take our long break in Frankfurt am Main, traveling (first class just as a precaution) from Leipzig to Frankfurt am Main and then, ~3 hours later, from Frankfurt am Main directly into Strasbourg.

Still researching car rental in Strasbourg but I think we're otherwise set.

Thank you for your counsel!