Search

Big Island West and East location to stay in March/April

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Island West and East location to stay in March/April

Hello,
I am planning a two weeks trip to Big Island at the end of March. I would like to split my time between the two coasts, starting with the west and then the east. I need recommendations of area to stay on each side so I can start looking for lodging. Where would be the best area to stay to explore the west coast and same for the east coast? There are probably different factors to take in consideration like weather, crowd, budget... I am more looking for areas with local character, if available, rather than crowded tourist resorts. Thank you for your help.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 08:20 AM

We typically rent a condo in the Waikoloa Beach Resort area because it's near the beaches we like and it's fairly affordable.

My favorite area on the west side is the Mauna Lani Resort Area, and I would love to stay in a condo there, but most of those condos are out of my price range.

We like the proximity to Saddle Road, heading up to Waimea, getting ice cream and fish in Kawaihae, snorkeling at the Mauna Lani, riding the waves at Hapuna, watching for turtles at Mauna Kea beach.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 11:47 AM

Waikoloa is super touristy. Big Resorts.

I spent a week in Hilo, look at Dolphin Bay Hotel. They offer discounts for longer stays and units have a kitchen. They don't have a pool. It is better to have a car if you stay there, although an easy walk into Downtown if you don't.

Hawaii Hotels - Dolphin Bay Hotel, Hilo, Hawaii - Big Island Hotels