Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for Midtown hotel when your daughter wants the Plaza!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2021, 01:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that she is vaccinated, my husband and I are taking our daughter on a belated 10-year birthday trip to NYC - her first time in the city. Like all Eloise & Home Alone 2 lovers, she would like to stay at the Plaza, but that is more than I want to spend. I would however, like to stay in that vicinity (Midtown near-ish Central Park). We are planning to go April 27 - May 2, all stay in one room (thinking king + rollaway). Hoping to spend less than $500/night all-in while still impressing her with something that is more interesting than your standard chain hotel. She would probably be more into old-school glamour, than super modern and hip, but I'll take suggestions for both. I would love for the hotel to have a grand lobby to make a "wow" first impression.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 02:39 PM

This didn't have the Plaza lobby (or ballroom for that matter), caze17, but maybe the area and the hotel itself would be fun:

Park Terrace on Bryant Park ( https://parkterracehotel.com/ )

I chose the hotel for its proximity to the Morgan Library. Please share what you end up doing.

Last edited by TDudette; Dec 9th, 2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 06:44 AM

Here's my trip report with some pictures FYI:
New York City – Sargent and the Zoo
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 08:16 AM

I think your wishes are perhaps unrealistic. There aren't very many hotels right near that location, actually, and $500 for a room for 3 is really reasonable for a luxury hotel. The closet luxury hotels with nice lobbies are going to be much more than that (such as the Pierre or the Baccarat or Peninsula). Or the Waldorf Astoria, although farther away but at least it has history. I often stay in the Hilton Garden Inn Times Square, a routine chain hotel (but with large rooms and nice), and it is about $400 a night during those dates, for example.

My one suggestion is the Roger Smith Hotel more towards Grand Central as it is more older style, and it does have rooms for $350-400 during those dates which would even be a suite.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:40 AM

No grand lobby, but not far from Plaza and place we've stayed a few times. The Residence Inn Central Park is I believe the tallest (or was) in the USA. We've stayed on the 54th and 56th floors and the views through floor to ceiling windows definitely have the wow factor a 10 year old might enjoy. Rooms have kitchenette and included excellent breakfast, should be under $500.00 all in.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
You might want to consider the Marriott Marquis or the Sofitel.
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these excellent suggestions!
Old Dec 10th, 2021, 02:39 PM

Of course, you could hire a driver and have brunch at the Plaza! I don't know what its post pandemic facilities are like now but a thought?
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 05:20 AM

Have you looked at the Warwick? On booking.com a one bedroom suite looks just about your price. Here is one of the reviews "Location, location, location AND the room was amazing. A real throwback to old Hollywood with the grand foyer, parlour , balcony and master suite."
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 10:28 AM

I thought of the Warwick also and think it is a reasonable choice. The cheaper rooms and suites are about that price range and it's close to Central Park and older/historic. I think it is a bit rundown and definitely not 5* hotel, so thought maybe it wasn't glamorous/wow enough but that that price point, you really won't get top notch. The suites with "interior view" have no natural light and no views, they face a brick wall FYI. But if you are there at night, not so big a deal to me.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 12:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A 600 sq ft King Suite at Hotel Elysee comes to about $550 with taxes and fees included, when booked directly on their website. It's a sofa-bed in the living room (with her own tv) and a separate king bed in the bedroom. They don't have many of this type room so if it's a possibility for you , you might want to book now (free cancellation) while you continue to look at your other options. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ir0W8nBiQ5I

Last edited by clarkgriswold; Dec 11th, 2021 at 12:44 PM.
Old Dec 11th, 2021, 09:52 PM

I don't have a hotel to recommend, but as TDudette mentioned you could eat there. I checked the Plaza's dining information on their site and they are offering their Afternoon Tea, including a special Eloise tea for kids. Right now they posted their holiday menu, so check back next year to see any changes.

Old Dec 12th, 2021, 01:27 PM

The War wick is a pretty good suggestion. The London hotel is near there and it's a hilton property. Don't know what the rates are and it's super modern but it's a great location.
The Plaza can have some really small rooms.

I suggest looking at the Park Lane New York. It's a former Helmsley hotel that has recently been redone. I don't know if they've done all the rooms and I haven't stayed in a redone room. (the last time I stayed was precovid) It's just down the block from the Plaza on Central Park South. Has big rooms and you can get a room that looks out over the park. If you go out the back of the hotel, there's was a great little shop to get breakfast. Again, I don't know if it's still there. But I love to stay there and it's super close to Hunsecker Park in Central Park which my son loves.
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

These are all fantastic suggestions - thank you! The London (Conrad) and Park Lane look amazing, but unfortunately, are more than I want to spend. I think the Warwick and Hotel Elysee are probably what I'm looking for, but understanding that my budget isn't going to allow for a property that is as well-kept as a truly luxury place. Which also has me considering the Park Terrace Hotel on Bryant Park - understanding that it will be more cookie cutter, but fully updated and love that location. I will continue to ponder, maybe making a refundable reservation in the meantime as clarkgriswold suggested.

And yes, we are definitely planning on the Eloise tea at the Plaza, on our Central Park/Met day!

Thanks again!
Old Dec 13th, 2021, 10:30 AM

Received 13 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you looked at The Hotel Beacon? https://www.beaconhotel.com
We stayed in their 2 bdrm/2 ba suite which was awesome. It has a nice kitchenette, eating area and living room. Highly recommend. Great location.
Reasonable prices which look to be well under $500 for a studio w/kitchenette.
Handy market right across the street, and subway station nearby. Short block or two walk to the John Lennon memorial. Directly next door to the vintage Beacon Theatre

Last edited by MoBro; Dec 13th, 2021 at 10:34 AM.
Old Dec 14th, 2021, 01:18 PM

Do check Belvedere Hotel on W 48th, few blocks south Central Park West. Walk across lovely 57th St to get to the Plaza on Fifth. Take her to Alice's Tea Cup (multiple vanues), Serendipity, or Sugar which is down in Meatpacking for fun lunches/brunches/dinners. You're not gonna spend any time in that room anyway!
Old Dec 18th, 2021, 07:32 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
I LOVE the Belvedere. BIG rooms, especially for Manhattan. I love the location - close to the Broadway theaters but not in the craziness of Times Square. Love the renovated Art Deco style. There's a little community garden equidistant in the other direction that feels a million miles away. I love the West Bank Cafe for pre-show dinners.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 06:37 AM

Ditto on the Park Lane and Warwick. We have stayed in both and both often have specials. The Warwick has reduced rates for dates the theaters are dark and we have always had good rates at the Park Lane. As mentioned, the Park Lane is across from Central Park and just down the Street from the Plaza - very close. The Essex is also on Central Park South but is likely out of your price range. If the Times Square area / Theater District appeals to you you can't go wrong with the Michael Angelo if you go for an upgrade above standard (which they refer to as executive). The upgrade rooms are very large and are lovely.
Old Dec 31st, 2021, 04:17 PM

I should have added to the above that when entering the Plaza, there is a lower level called The Shops at The Plaza. Among the shops is an Eloise shop carrying, what else, everything Eloise. There are also some nice food shops down there. When we stay at the Park Lane we pick up some breakfast or pastries there.
Old May 4th, 2022, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

I don't know if I will get around to writing a full trip report, but I wanted to follow-up to let you all know that we got back from NYC on Monday and had a fantastic trip. We stayed at the Hotel Elysee and it was lovely. My daughter loved the elegant, old-world feel. The King Suite was perfect for us - a king in the bedroom and a separate living room with a pullout couch for my daughter. The Club Room was great and we ate breakfast there almost every morning. I understand that the offerings are not what they were pre-Covid, but it still was nice to have. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The location was fantastic, with easy access to numerous bus and subway lines. This is not the hotel for you if you want charging ports by the bed or a huge palatial bathroom, but we really enjoyed it and would stay there again. Thanks to clarkgriswold for the suggestion and for the idea to go ahead and book the refundable King Suite while researching other options. We certainly locked in a less expensive rate than we would have otherwise, and it gave me peace of mind when I wasn't sure I was quite ready to pull the trigger. I appreciate all of your help in finding us a great place for my daughter's special trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -