Search

Advice needed for Turkey January 2022 trip

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2021, 09:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice needed for Turkey January 2022 trip

Hi everyone,
After the new variant and spike in cases across Europe, my fiancee and I are cancelling our honeymoon trip to Spain planned for late January 2022 and are now considering Turkey. Apologies for the open-ended question but since there is such short time for planning, we would appreciate any Turkey itinerary advice for January.

We will be leaving in the third week of January and staying for 6 -7 days. We understand the risk with unfavourable weather but we are quite flexible with our activities. Museums, historical sites, architecture, nature walks appeal to us. I have seen recommendations for Istanbul + Cappadocia which sound good (the hot air balloon looks awesome!). Do you have any recommendations on which cities would be best to visit and what would be the ideal split of number of days?

Thanks
Old Dec 9th, 2021, 01:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Istanbul may be rainy and even snowy.

Capadocia will most probably be snowy.

Unfortunately, the warmer Antalya region may have wind storms.

This leaves two choices for major archeological regions you can reach by air:
1. Fly to Izmir and visit Ephesus, plus sites within the town. You would probably rent a car at the airport.
This can be a rather rushed day trip. or stay at Kusadasi, posibly at Hilton Doubletree.

2. Fly to Dalaman (further South) plan for at least two days with rental car. Major archeological sites are, Xanthos, Letoon, Tlos and Patara.
Stay the night at Fethiye which has a good vibe, good food and some interesting sites.

Because of the recent devaluation of the Turkish currency, your costs in istanbul and in the South will be quite low.

there are some issues with taxis in Istanbul, so i recommend either a guide who drives or using public transport, specifically, the tram and metro.
Stay at a hotel at Sutanahmet in the old city so you can walk most places.

If you eat meat, I recommend Iskender Kebap and if you like spicy hot, Adana Kebap. Almost all vegetable dishes, usually cooked with olive oil and served cold, are very good.
If you wish to splurge, pick a fish reataurant like Park Fora on the Bosphorus, or a restaurant at Cengelkoy on the Asian side and order a small turbot to share. You can take a ferry to Uskudar on
the Asian side, which will be pleasant and with good photo opportunities, but then you will need to take a taxi or bus for the short trip to Cengelkoy. which is like a lively vilage in the middle of the large city.
(Also, it is the home of small very tasty cucumbers)

Hope you enjoy your trip.