How long in Stockholm and Helsinki?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2021, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking of a trip in late July - is a new Helsinki/DFW direct flight to take advantage of.

Originally was thinking of getting into Stockholm on a Saturday in the early afternoon, from the US. then departing Helsinki the next Saturday afternoon at 4 pm. So, something like 4.5-5.5 days in Stockholm and 1.5-2.5 in Helsinki. 4.5 days Stockholm and 2.5 in Helsinki doesn't seem like enough in Stockholm, but 5.5/1.5 doesn't seem like enough in Helsinki. I like mainly art museums, cultural and history museums and city halls, churches/cathedrals, parks and gardens and walking along the water/a brief cruise. I also often enjoy taking a day trip like to the archipelago in Stockholm or Upsala or say Tallin.

How would you split this up? Or, maybe I need to suck it up and leave the following Sunday, getting back to the US at 6:30 and working early the following Monday to really maximize my time - 5.5 in Stockholm and 2.5 in Helsinki?

Lastly, how would all of this be with COVID? Seems like 2-3 countries would really be a big mess with testing and all of that? I've had three vaccines and sadly also COVID, a month after my booster!
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 07:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is certainly more to do in Stockholm. Maybe you should resist the new flight and just visit Stockholm on this trip, depending on the Covid requirements for the two countries?

I wound up spending four days in Helsinki, but I had bad weather and didn't do as much as I had planned (and one day was an unexpected extra due to the need to leave the US ahead of hurricane Irene). This is my report, links at the top of the page: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ain-and-shine/

But I could have used more than the five days I had in Stockholm: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...-of-stockholm/
Old Nov 21st, 2021, 08:45 PM

I had 3 days in Helsinki, but terrible weather, so going out and about occasionally lost out to reading in my warm, dry hotel room. There is still much more to see.

I've been to Stockholm a number of times, and I think 3-4 days would be the absolute minimum. Heaps to see.
Old Nov 22nd, 2021, 04:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Random thoughts...

Visiting one country would doubtless be easier, Covid-wise, than visiting two. But no one knows what the situation will be like 7 months from now.

Flights in both directions from/to DFW to both cities would appear to have at least one connection. In a short trip, a hiccup at the front end can ripple through the entire trip. As you seem to have much more interest in Stockholm than Helsinki, why not put Helsinki first in the event something goes haywire. But also compare return flights from both cities if you're thinking of working the following Monday.

I haven't been to Stockholm in a long time, but pre-Covid most Stockholm museums (although not all) were closed on Mondays. If you head to Stockholm first, you need to organize your sightseeing days around open/closed days and hours.

FWIW, I found Helsinki more interesting and Stockholm more "fun," if that makes any sense. I was lucky to have a Finnish friend show me Helsinki.
Old Nov 23rd, 2021, 05:23 AM

At the moment there aren't any COVID restrictions in Sweden if you are fully vaccinated but that could change and they do change quickly. There really hasn't been alot of restrictions once you are in Sweden since COVID started, I have been quite a few times in the past year or so, the restrictions have mainly been getting into Sweden
IMO the majority of the time should be in Stockholm, esp as you are going during the summer. I've done the day trip to Tallinn on the ferry and to Riga from Stockholm but you can go to Tallinn from Helsinki. A good way to get from Stockholm to Helsinki is on the ferry, you get a great view of the archipelago.

I've been to Helsinki a few times, it is a bit of a struggle to fill more than a couple of days with things to do/see but still worth seeing.

Old Dec 26th, 2021, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. Wondering about long overnight in Frankfurt and then 6 days in Stockholm. Still the two country problem,
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 09:20 AM

In my mind, the three essential museums of Stockholm are the skansen:

https://flic.kr/p/7quwRh
https://flic.kr/p/7qqAXp
The Vasa museum:

https://flic.kr/p/7quyMU
and the royal armory:

https://flic.kr/p/7qqE52
Unless a museum has a special collection which makes it stand apart, perhaps of a regional or national artist, the fine arts museums that are not world renowned are at the bottom of my list, and decorative arts will take precedence.
Old Dec 27th, 2021, 05:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am another fan of decorative arts and crafts, which is why I am stunned that you would not include Stockholm's excellent Design Museum, the Nordiska, right next door to the Vasa. Personally, I avoid all armories, royal or not.

See: https://mytimetotravel.wordpress.com...ays-stockholm/
Old Dec 28th, 2021, 10:27 PM

thursdaysd I am sorry to have missed the Design Museum in Stockholm, especially since we did visit Skansen and the Wasa--I guess having 9 and 10 year-old boys with me accounts for that!

We also did a wonderful day trip to one of the islands around Stockholm, Uto.
Old Jan 1st, 2022, 03:16 PM
Original Poster

I’m a big alert museum person so will do that too.