Search

Lisbon-Faro-Seville train and bus qtion

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 06:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lisbon-Faro-Seville train and bus qtion

Hi -

My family of 4 is traveling from Lisboa-Oriente (train station) to Faro, Portugal via train, then switching to a bus from Faro to Seville. There's a Lisbon-Faro train that arrives at 11:23am and a Faro-Seville bus (Flix bus) leaving at 12:10 pm. My question to the Travel Hive: Does the CP train run punctually and, if so, is that enough time to get from the Faro train station to the Faro bus station to get the bus (Terminal Rodoviário Faro - Próximo)?

Looks like the bus station is a 3-minute walk from the train station. But I want to verify before pressing "buy."

Thanks,
MKECityMom
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 06:25 PM

In my experience the CP trains run on time.

The Faro bus station and train station are basically next door. I haven't kept up with the Faro-Sevilla bus schedules this year, but you may want to consult this guide, written by a local and regularly updated. It's my bible for travel (not as easy or regular as one might think) between Spain and Portugal.

Travel options between the Algarve and Spain by bus or train

Old Nov 16th, 2021, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for link and advice. Cool site! As per usual, one question leads to many more. I'm expanding my question to get feedback from Portugal and Spain public transit travelers. Our family (4 adults, all over 20 yrs.) is visiting Lisbon, Seville, Vila Real de Santo Antonio, Lisbon (in that order). We arrive in Lisbon December 19th (4 nights), then Seville (4 nights), then Vila Real de Santo Antonio (3 nights), and last night in Lisbon before flying out December 31st. I was originally thinking we'd take train from Lisbon to Faro, then transfer to use of buses to get to/from Spain. However, I'm now considering using buses. I'd love feedback on this travel route:

Leg One: Lisbon-Seville: ALSA bus, one way, 6.5 hours with one transfer and 4 stops. Plus: Travels through central Portugal and Spain, giving us views of these areas.

Leg Two: Seville-Vila Real de Santo Antonio: DAMAS bus Lisbon to Ayamonte, one way. 3 hours. Then ferry from Ayamonte to Vila Real de Santo Antonio. 15 minutes.

Leg Three: Vila Real de Sant Antonio to Lisbon: bus (Rede Expressos) 5.5 hours. Plus: Travels along Algarve, then heads north to Lisbon.

Any thoughts or suggestions, including recommendations for or against specific bus lines?

Thanks!

Last edited by MKECityMom; Nov 16th, 2021 at 07:23 PM.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 07:43 PM

Why don't you fly from Lisbon to Seville on TAP Airlines? That would be much easier. Also, do an open-jaw ticket (sometimes called multi-city). Fly into Lisbon and fly home from Seville.
Old Nov 16th, 2021, 08:04 PM

Is there a compelling reason for you to spend 3 nights in Vila Real de Santo Antonio rather than Tavira in the eastern Algarve or another spot in the Algarve? The town can be seen in an hour. Its main street is lined with linen shops where Spaniards flock in droves to buy their Portuguese bed linens. I'm just curious about the attraction for 3 days. It wouldn't be my first choice of a base in the Algarve for 3 days.
Old Jan 9th, 2022, 11:21 PM

Hi MKECitymom,

Hope you had a nice trip! Just checking in to see what you did for transportation between Lisbon and Sevilla.