Search

Rhode Island recs for late-October/early-November

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rhode Island recs for late-October/early-November

Hello,

I am going to be visiting family in Newport next week, staying for around a week and a half. I have my weekend plans in place, but will have a good amount of free time during the week while I'm there.

I would love some recommendations for things to do around RI and even neighboring states (within reasonable driving distance). I love doing things outside - hikes, scenic walks, bike rides. I am a big fan of outdoor art (murals high on the list). I know it will be "late-fallish", but I am open to layering up for a boat ride or tour if those take place this time of the year.

I'll definitely try and hit up as many of the mansions as I can, would welcome any "musts" in that category as I know there are a lot of them.

Also love food and am always open to restaurant recommendations. And finally, anything that would be considered "off the beaten path" is certainly always welcome.

I appreciate any and all recs. Happy to provide more detail if that would be helpful.

Cheers,
Mike
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 05:44 AM

The weather in New England is changeable, so have clothing for any conditions including snow in November. I will hope for sunny, not too cold days while you are there.

The historic Mystic/ Stonington CT area is not too far and the Mystic Seaport Museum if you are interested in things maritime. The Pecquot/Mohegan museum at Foxwoods is excellent too, check their website for hours.

Just over the bridge from Newport is Jamestown lsland, there are some interesting places to hike there including Beavertail State park with great views back towards Newport and out to sea.

The ferry from Point Judith to Block Island with a tour by one of the locals would make a nice day trip. If you are fit and the weather is nice you could rent a bike there and do your tour yourself.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 06:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If you hit some bad weather you might want to visit the museums at Brown University and the Rhode Island School of Design in Providence. I understand Providence has some good restaurants, but unfortunately I don't get there often. Maybe try Chowhound for recs. On the mainland the Matunuck Oyster Bar is a cut above the usual shore restaurant. https://www.rhodyoysters.com Probably about a half-hour drive.
Old Oct 23rd, 2021, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the recommendations!
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Rhode Island offers some of it’s own cuisine. We prefer their clam broth based clam chowder over all others and you should try a frozen lemonade plus many Portugese dishes.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by HappyTrvlr
Rhode Island offers some of it’s own cuisine. We prefer their clam broth based clam chowder over all others and you should try a frozen lemonade plus many Portugese dishes.
Very true! Also "soupy" -- a Westerly version of the Italian soppressata (the hot is very hot), New York System Wieners -- a relative of the chili dog unknown in New York, "stuffies" large clamshells stuffed with minced clams, peppers, breadcrumb and sometimes chorizo, and deep fried clam fritters.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 11:36 AM

Only a small percentage of the mansions are open now. Check the website for what will be open when you are there - https://www.newportmansions.org/
Don't forget about the "Cliff Walk" which goes behind the mansions and you can see the backs of most them that way.
New Bedford Massachusetts is a good day trip from Newport, has an historic district and a whaling museum, among other things.
Plymouth Mass is also a day trip distance. Plimouth Plantation - https://plimoth.org/ - recreation of the original town
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 12:03 PM

Head over to CT for Stonington/Mystic area or go to the Mohegan/Pequot museum at Foxwoods. It is an excellent look at the Native Americans in this area over the last 10000 years. Check the hours of operation.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 05:10 PM

Second the rec for New Bedford. Across the street from the whaling museum is the Seaman's Bethel, immortalized in Melville's Moby-Dick.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 11:46 PM

+1 for the Pecquot/Mohegan museum at Foxwoods
We enjoyed a food tour of Providence Downcity Providence Food Tour - Rhode Island Red Food Tours
I vote for the Servants Life Tour in Newport. It was my second favorite. Unfortunately it doesn't look like Beneath the Breakers is being offered.
You might have to cross the border into MA for some Portugese restaurants. Sorry, I can't remember the one we visited several years ago.
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 03:41 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the recommendations!