Paris or Prague

Old Oct 9th, 2021, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris or Prague

Hi everyone,

We just returned from our two week stay in Puglia (with a side trip to Matera) and had an amazing time. If you have any questions, please let me know and it would be my pleasure to answer.

Back to my post question. We are considering a family trip to either Paris or Prague for 7 nights at the end of December into early January (my husband and I and our two children, ages 24 and 22). We have never been to Prague but we did visit Paris once before for five nights many years ago but we always wanted to return. We want the christmas atmosophere but want to visit museums as well.

Which would you choose?

Thanks

Last edited by WorldsAway; Oct 9th, 2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old Oct 9th, 2021, 10:55 PM

For museums it would be hard to beat Paris.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 06:39 AM

Either one would work. We have been to Paris numerous times, but Prague only once and absolutely loved it! I would go there in a heartbeat!
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 07:12 AM

Both cities are worthwhile destinations, each with its character, but I would go with Paris if you are looking at staying in one place for seven nights. There's just more to see, do, and experience. If you decide to go with Prague, you could take some day trips to fill your time.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 07:26 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Definitely Prague. Paris is so overrated that nobody goes there anymore.

That joke aside, have you thought about Budapest? I've been to both Prague and Budapest and found Budepest far superior.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 07:42 AM

I think that Paris has more sheltered space than Prague, so given the time of year, that is a factor.

https://flic.kr/p/2gCxCuT
https://flic.kr/p/oyUSTc
https://flic.kr/p/oAWjaT
https://flic.kr/p/oz9RDm
https://flic.kr/p/2gCxV8P
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 11:33 AM

Prague. We loved it, and a friend went in the winter and said it was magical….like being in a fairytale.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 11:41 AM

We've been to Paris three times and Prague twice. As was said, if museums are your main interest, Paris is probably a better choice. However, you'll find plenty of historical sights in the Czech Republic. Not as much "hanging art" as Paris but art incorporated into public buildings, castles, and churches. I see your children are old enough that the four of you can enjoy a beer together. If that's something you like, Prague and nearby Plzen are worth consideration. The first part of my trip report from 2018 looks at our last visit:
A month in the Czech Republic and Italy
You can find a more detailed account with pictures here:
https://www.sloweurope.com/community...gue-2018.4457/

BTW--If budget is a concern, you'll find the Czech Republic is easier on your wallet.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 12:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd prefer Paris to Prague, particularly if museums are in order.
That said, Kerouac's idea of Budapest was interesting.
The Ethnography Museum (kitty-corner from the Parliament) we found quite interesting
Then there's Vienna, for the Kunsthistorishe Museum......
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 02:38 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
My choice would be Paris.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 02:50 PM

Hmmm? This is a tough one!

Paris: Can't be beat for museums as others have pointed out. Been there once and would love to return.
Prague: We love Prague!!! Been there twice and we were never bored. Visited in August and October. Loved going in October with the brisk autumn air and vendors selling hot mulled wine! December/January would be chillier but magical with snow and Christmas markets. Our daughter studied in Prague for the fall semester; she came home sometime in December and loved seeing Prague at that time of year. And you haven't been to Prague. You would have time for side trips to the bone church in Kutna Hora, and to visit Cesky Krumlov.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 03:40 PM

There is not much that can prepare you for the beauty of Prague. However, given you interest and the amount of time you have, Paris is the choice. Will you be looking for an apartment?

Old Oct 10th, 2021, 03:41 PM

Been to Paris for Christmas a few times and it's great. I never run out of things to do. However, in your shoes I'd choose Prague because you haven't been there before.

With seven days (does that include arrival and departure?), I'd probably not have enough time for day trips, but that's because to me Prague is a wonderful city in which to relax/hang out/poke around, especially outside the main tourist areas. Last time I was there--almost a first visit, because I'd only been there very briefly when young--I had 5+ days and didn't get to everything I wanted to see.

Prague is also extremely beautiful and must be gorgeous in the snow.
Old Oct 10th, 2021, 04:08 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I’ve been to Paris at least a dozen times and I love it, but I would pick Prague. I’ve only been to Prague once, a few years ago, but it was magical, like stepping into a fairy tale. I imagine it would be wonderful in winter. I can’t wait to get back there. Paris does have the edge when it comes to art museums, but there’s more to life, and travel, than museums.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 05:53 AM

laurieco--We were in Prague in Jan/Feb 2020 right a the pandemic was hitting. I absolutely loved that time of year!!! We came over and did three days there after our time in Dresden. "Stepping into a fiery tale" is exactly how we felt.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 06:41 AM

Why was it fiery hot in Prague in the middle of February?
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 01:38 PM

This is a tough one as those are two of my favorite cities. I haven't been there at Christmas, though. I agree Paris has more museums, sure, but how many art museums can you go to, anyway, if that's the idea. Prague actually has some that nobody goes to, but are really good. Like the modern art museum across the river in the Trade Fair Palace. I love that one.
https://www.ngprague.cz/en/about/bui...de-fair-palace

Prague actually has quite a few museums and to be honest, one thing I like better are the history museums in Prague, and those related to classical music. There aren't any good classical music composers' homes in Paris, surprisingly, open as museums (except Debussy's in St Germain en Laye, and Satie's in Honfleur is a trip). Chopin lived in a lot of places in Paris, I guess too many. Paris does have that fantastic overall music museum, out near Pantin, though. They do have some famous composers in cemeteries, of course (so does Prague).

But in Prague, I also find those for communism, Kafka, ethnography, very good and the Prague history museum is outstanding. That's another thing Paris doesn't have very well, surprisingly, a Paris history museum. I don't consider the Carnavalet exaclty that, not like the ones in London or Prague. Both have some Jewish history museums/sites, of course. Prague has the Spanish synagogue which is fantastic.

Prague is cheaper, generally, there is that, also. And that is a very expensive time of year in major tourism cities. You can do some excellent bus day trips from Prague, if you want. Or by train. I went to Tabor for a day trip by train once, it is a nice small town with the Jan Hus museum. Many other options for day trips. Even Cesky Krumlov is doable.
https://www.visittabor.eu/about-city

I think Christmas markets are really a German custom originally, and central Europe in general, like Vienna had an old one, but Prague reportedly does have a good one. Some French cities have co-opted the idea to make money, of course, even though not there historically. They are traditional in Alsace, of course.
https://www.pragueexperience.com/eve...as-markets.asp

I guess I'd lean towards Prague, but I'd let the family weigh in, and a lot of this depends on personal interests, of course. I'm very interested in classical music (that's another thing, Prague has excellent opera and other classical music concerts a lot cheaper than Paris; I'm not a big opera fan but did go to the National Theatre in Prague as it is reasonable price and no one can match their Rusalka). I'm also interest in history, so those mean a lot to me. I have about zero interest in shopping (you do not go to Prague to "shop" except for excellent decorative arts, garnets, etc) and sports, and gourmet restaurants. I do like French food better, though. I'm not a big beer fan, if you are, the CR is heaven.

My only caveat is the weather, as I think it might be more likely to have a bad snow storm in Prague that could cause problems. And it will be colder there.
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Christina
This is a tough one as those are two of my favorite cities. I haven't been there at Christmas, though. I agree Paris has more museums, sure, but how many art museums can you go to, anyway, if that's the idea. Prague actually has some that nobody goes to, but are really good. Like the modern art museum across the river in the Trade Fair Palace. I love that one.
https://www.ngprague.cz/en/about/bui...de-fair-palace
That's maybe my favorite museum in Prague. Just outstanding.

The other national galleries are good too, most are in Prague, you can find them on the same site:
https://www.ngprague.cz/en/about/buildings
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 02:06 PM

Flip a coin?

I don't think there is a bad choice here. Both are great cities with a lot to see and do and plenty of good day trips if you don't want to spend the entire time in the city. Maybe decide based on whether you like beer or wine better?
Old Oct 11th, 2021, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by tomboy
Why was it fiery hot in Prague in the middle of February?
She means stepping into a fairy tale.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -