Amalfi Coast in October. A bit lost!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone! I'm spending three nights in the Amalfi Coast with my boyfriend at the beginning of October (5 to 8) and we're finding it hard to organize this part of the trip.

1. We're completely torn between renting a car or using public transportation. What would you suggest and why? Some people say it's much better to move by car, but I've also read that it can get way too complicated and expensive to park. What would be our better choice, having in mind that we're traveling in October?

2. Where to stay is the second struggle. We started by considering Sorrento, but we'd prefer to enjoy the charm and views of the small towns. What would you chose between Positano and Amalfi? We don't want to spend more tan 100 euros the night, and I found two hotels which match that criteria in Positano, but they're 30 mins walk from the center, so if we don't rent a car, we have to use the bus all the time. Would that be a terrible idea? I mean, do we need to stay right in the center of Positano or Amalfi if we don't have a car?

3. Will we be able to travel by ferry from Positano in October?

4. This is just being curious... is it a nice time to visit the Amalfi Coast?

Thank you very much!
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 02:40 PM

Hi carolinadr, We were there in March some years ago and took the city bus from Sorrento to Amalfi... even then we wished someone in a smaller vehicle was driving us. Lots of stops for bigger buses. You can't enjoy the view and drive, imo. Unless weather interferes, the ferries run all year but do check on the frequency changes. We liked the convenient train from our Sorrento base, but let others who loved Positano weigh in.

Last edited by TDudette; Sep 12th, 2021 at 02:44 PM.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 08:08 PM

For our first visit to the AC we rented a car, but in the 6+ trips since then, never. We love a combination of buses, taxis, and ferries.

We;ve stayed in Amalfi and in Positano but now we almost exclusively stay in Ravello (the views!!) at a small b&b/locanda that is 5' walk to the main piazza and has incredible views. Check out Casa di Vania and La Dolce Vita--they may be in your price range. We will be there a few days after your dates.

Can't help with lower cost lodging in other areas (we stayed at Le Sirenuse in Positano and Luna Convento in Amalfi, the former being especially pricey but we were there for an anniversary).

We actually love taking the buses and ferries--Amalfi is good hub for the area--and the big blue SITA busses are air-conditioned, the drivers experienced. Be sure to validate the bus ticket when you board.

Some folks here have mentioned staying in Maori or Minori or Vietre sul Mare but I haven't so can't speak to them--

Old Sep 12th, 2021, 08:40 PM

I found it easy to get around via bus, ferries, and an occasional taxi. Leave the stress of driving on those roads for someone else.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We've stayed twice in Sorrento and would stay there again. It's a good base for day trips, the train stops there for Pompeii and Naples, the ferry goes from the port to Capri, and the bus goes to Positano, Amalfi, Ravello etc. We've only used public transport in that area and found it pretty easy, though we did once get off in the wrong small town but just got the next bus going back the other way. Also we found occasionally at peak hour the buses were so full they wouldn't stop for more people to get on. Driving yourself and finding parking would be a nightmare. The roads are very narrow and windy and we've seen traffic having to back up for the bus to get round a bend.

Ravello is lovely but if you want to do a lot of day trips, I'm pretty sure you have to get a bus down to Amalfi, then another bus along the coast. So that all adds time to your day. We stayed at the Palazzo Starace which was like a small guesthouse, in the middle of Sorrento. This was a long time ago, it was basic but clean with a tiny balcony overlooking the street. Another trip we were at the Hotel Bristol which has amazing views but I think would be a lot more expensive.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 01:23 AM

KayF has pretty much said what I was going to. Sorrento was a great base and I’d stay there again.
Old Sep 13th, 2021, 09:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What do you plan to do when you're there? Most recently we stayed in Ravello, but we had come from five full days in Naples and stopped in Pompeii on the way down. On the AC we really were just hiking and visiting the towns when we felt like it--no real itinerary.

Atrani, which is a short walk from Amalfi, may have some lower priced accommodations.

Old Sep 13th, 2021, 04:06 PM

If you are spending only three nights, that gives you only two full days. How are you getting there and from where? What exactly do you wish to see or do there? Pompeii, the popular towns of Positano and Amalfi, hiking, Ravello, Capri, etc.? Don’t know the rest of your trip, but if you can get another day on the AC, or the area, to also visit Naples, Herculaneum or Paestum, it would be great.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 02:36 AM

October is low season and the damages caused by the inondations and land slides of end August will most probably be repaired
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for your responses!

About what I'm doing there, we want to to visit Positano, Amalfi, Maiori, Minori, Praiano and Ravello. Maybe some other small town such as Atrani too. We don't know if Capri would be worst the visiting for one day. We also haven't decided if we're visiting Pompeii.

Based on all of your answers and some research, we decided NOT to rent a car.

We're looking at IL Canneto in Positano but its a bit far from the center, would that be a bad location without a car? We're also considering Pensione Maria Luisa, I'm in love with the views but a bit concerned about some reviews, it seems to a bad at poor conditions.

Any comments on this?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 16th, 2021, 09:33 AM

If you are just going from village to village, it does not matter as much where you stay. If you can do the walk to and from, that is really the only consideration (I like a good view over all else, and I will walk 1000 steps for it if I have to.)
Have you determined if you will be there after the ferry stops running (mid to late October I think)? If it is stil running, I would choose a village with ferry access to supplement the bus.
https://www.travelmar.it/en/index
It is pretty vital to know if you want to go to Pompeii or not, as it can be a terribly long day trip unless you stay at the mainland end of the peninsula (Minori, Vietri, etc.).

Old Sep 20th, 2021, 08:29 AM

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed in a VRBO house up the hill near Ravello in early October a few years ago. The views were fantastic, but connections were inconvenient, even with a couple of cars at our disposal. If somehow we were to return, I'd try to stay closer to the water, where buses and ferries are more accessible. Both Maiori and Minori seemed worth looking into as pleasant bases, and for exploration of other towns along the coast. They also have nice beaches.
Old Sep 20th, 2021, 03:10 PM

When I was here I had a Private guide , one at Sorrento and one at Almalfi Coast.

Glad I did not have to drive some of those roads. !