Palermo bus stops

Search

Palermo bus stops

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2021, 06:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Palermo bus stops

We will be taking the bus from Catania to Palermo. According to the schedule, it will terminate at Via Oreto 464. I was wondering if this bus also stops at other locations in Palermo (such as the railway station) as we will have luggage and will need to find a taxi to take us to our hotel.
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 09:13 AM

I just returned from Palermo a few days ago. My bus from Catania to Palermo terminated at the bus station adjacent to Stazione Centrale. From there, it was a 15 euro taxi fare to the Centro,. (It was actually a 25 euro fare but I knew the cabbie was trying to cheat me and I got it worked out to get 15 euro)

I recall seeing something about Via Orieto during my planning as well but don’t recall where that is. Are you taking SAIS?
Old Sep 8th, 2021, 09:37 AM

ronanmcd, check with your Palermo hotel (and the bus company) about the final bus stop and your options. When DH and I were in Palermo, there were several different bus lines; one went to train station, two were at a separate location.

Please share your experience with this.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 12:34 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the insights. Yes; we are using SAIS to Palermo, so it is useful to know that the bus stops near Stazione Centrale. I just need to know we can easily find a taxi.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 01:16 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm guessing you mean the Pullman (long distance coach) not the bus. Via Orto 464 is a long way out and there is a sort of linear bus station that I'd not like to get out at. The terminal at the back of the train station makes more sense. There used to be competitors that went to the station, you may need to search harder.
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 02:31 AM

Be careful with the taxis at the Palermo station. There are a lot of unofficial taxis that will rip you off. Look for official taxis and ask the price before you get in...
Old Sep 9th, 2021, 03:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
This is pretty useful to understand the stops etc https://www.checkmybus.it/catania/palermo

Old Sep 9th, 2021, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
Be careful with the taxis at the Palermo station. There are a lot of unofficial taxis that will rip you off. Look for official taxis and ask the price before you get in...
agreed, rialtogrl. I didn’t ask my driver ahead of time as I knew from the owner of the home where Inwas staying that the trip shouldn’t cost more than 25 euro. While my cab had a meter, I distrusted him from the start because he had a front seat pulled down so that it blocked the view of the meter from the back. The ride was not more than 10 minutes and he knew I wasn’t an idiot as I speak decent Italian. When he told me the amount was 25 euro and 40 cents, my suspicions were confirmed. They were de-confirmed when I balked and he immediately said “ok, 20 euro”. A call to the owner of the home where I was staying quickly resolved the situation.
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 09:38 AM

MinnBeef i got ripped off worse once, when I should have known better.

today I flew to Palermo, there is a new promotion where booking.com offers a free taxi from the airport if you spend a certain amount (in my case just under 300 euros for five nights.) I was a bit worried there would be no taxi but communication from booking.com was great and my driver was waiting. In a minibus! For me alone.

Sorry to hijack your thread ronanmed. Palermo is busy!
Old Sep 10th, 2021, 01:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So jealous you are in Sicily!

If I think the taxis at a train or bus station are asking too much, I have been known to walk out and hail one on the street.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by MinnBeef
agreed, rialtogrl. I didn’t ask my driver ahead of time as I knew from the owner of the home where Inwas staying that the trip shouldn’t cost more than 25 euro. While my cab had a meter, I distrusted him from the start because he had a front seat pulled down so that it blocked the view of the meter from the back. The ride was not more than 10 minutes and he knew I wasn’t an idiot as I speak decent Italian. When he told me the amount was 25 euro and 40 cents, my suspicions were confirmed. They were de-confirmed when I balked and he immediately said “ok, 20 euro”. A call to the owner of the home where I was staying quickly resolved the situation.
That should have read “not cost more than 15 euro”. So he tried to rip me off by 10 euro and 40 cents.
Old Sep 12th, 2021, 09:30 PM

Our hotel arranged a driver to pick is up at the airport. You might inquire if your hotel can arrange for a driver to pick you up at the bus stop. It might be worth it for peace of mind.
Old Sep 15th, 2021, 08:41 AM

The train between Catania and Palermo is more comfortable than the bus anyway. The train ride takes 3 hrs