Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

ZIMBABWE...PAMUSHANA?? Where else..or should I drop the whole idea??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2021, 11:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yearning for a return. This time for a week cause it is so hard to access..looking for anyone who can advise if next spring or fall (2022) would be ok to book....

Also..flights so dear from there to other game lands, so thinking of a week in (???) AMS (??) on the way home (prefer to go to Italy)....would love to hear of other flight paths that could merge with flights to JBG (step off to ZiM)
or other ideas..can I easily combine a week in Europe with a week in Pamushana??? Or Morocco??

Have been to CapeTown several times..look to branch out after Zim but where....been to Mali, etc in WAWA land but partner will not do well in any of those. Addis seems out for the moment....

What flights can I take from JBG to Europe aside from the one on KLM to AMS??

GARDYLOO, OUR EXPERT....SOS CALL!!
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 02:35 AM
Original Poster

Anyone here been to PAMUSHANA? If not, you might be missing the best upscale venue in southern Africa.
Old Aug 28th, 2021, 07:50 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well first, a disclaimer. International airline schedules and routes are still pretty much up in the air (ha ha) because of the pandemic, so there's no guarantee that flights booked for anytime in 2022 won't be prone to date or time changes, or changes in frequency. But that said, there are currently nonstops available from Johannesburg (JNB by the way) to London, Paris, Frankfurt, Zurich, Istanbul and Amsterdam in Europe, using British Airways, Virgin Atlantic, Air France, Lufthansa, Swiss International, Turkish and KLM respectively. There are also lots of possible connections through the Gulf states, using Qatar, Emirates and Etihad airlines.

One-stop (plane change) service is available through all of those places to destinations throughout Europe and to North Africa. Even with separately-purchased tickets things can be quite affordable; round trips from Amsterdam to Milan or Rome, for example, can be as little as $120 - $150, so not a deal-breaker. And for what it's worth, Royal Air Maroc, now a member of the Oneworld alliance and a codeshare partner with American, flies nonstop from Casablanca to JFK.

I certainly can't tell you what to do, and I confess I'm a bit unclear on your plans. It sounds like you want to stay at Pamushana (no experience here) or some other place in SA or Zimbabwe (?) for a week, then have a layover somewhere en route back home? Is that right or have I got the order of things messed up?

As for the overall go/no-go choice, I would certainly monitor the Covid situation very closely and I personally would be very reluctant to book southern Africa right now. I don't think, however, that you're going to run any risk of things getting booked up or prices spiking by waiting a few more months. Certainly I'd hold off on booking any air arrangements at least for a couple of months to see how things are going.

Old Aug 29th, 2021, 02:54 AM
Original Poster

GL: You just might be the most helpful person on these forums......Will investigate but I fear I am only dreaming due to current situation.........how can I thank you enough!?!?!?!?