Search

Is Barbados good for us?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is Barbados good for us?

Hello all,
We are a family of 5 (3 children, 15, 12, and 9), and we have traveled to TCI 5 times, and once to the Cayman. We liked Providenciales, and we stayed at the Sands all 5 times. We were thinking of a different island this time, and a friend recommended Barbados. We are looking for a resort that is comparable to the Sands at TCI (if any of you are familiar with it, please respond with your ideas), on the beach, and calm waters. Any kids activities?
Transportation, safety, etc?
Old Jul 24th, 2021, 02:16 AM

Barbados is a great island with lovely beaches and calm waters as long as you are on the west coast. I've been to Grand Cayman a couple of times and have stayed at the Sands in TCI. Both of those destinations are what I would call very "American", at least, to me. Flat, dry, scrubby islands with fantastic beaches, diving, dining, all conveniences available that you would get back in the US.

Barbados is not like that. It has much more green vegetation that either TCI or GCM. Beaches in St James Parish are the calmest and the best. It is much more of a *real* Carribean island with local produce, markets, sightseeing etc so very different to TCI/GCM. Diving/snorkelling is not so good. There are alot of AI hotels in Barbados which makes things more convenient esp with kids. AI does not equal imprisonment in resort. It is not like Provo or GCM where you can walk to many restaurants although there are areas in Barbados that of course do have clusters of restaurants close to hotels (Holetown for instance) or you might want to rent a car. I have only stayed in adults only hotels but here are a couple that you might consider with kids

Colony Club
Crystal Cove
Mango Beach
Royal Pavillion but there are many others

Kids might like visiting Harrison Caves, or snorkelling with turtles. We have always rented a car, just makes life a bit easier, can go touring around the island to the very windy east coast, to the fish market in Oistins, to plantation house museums, to the botanical gardens etc.

Old Jul 24th, 2021, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Great! Thank you for the overview. This is awesome information and in fact what you describe suits the bill better than expected. I appreciate your time and response.
Thank you.
Chris
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Great summary/review. I really appreciate your insights regarding this island/destination for us. It makes things easier to decide.
Thank you,
Chris.