Visiting Portland in July 2021

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2021, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Everyone: We're planning to visit Portland from July 4 to July 8 and wanted to get some advice from y'all about a few items:

Background:
  • Family of three: Wife, daughter (11) and myself.
  • We will be driving from San Francisco with multiple stops on the way (Lassen National Park, Crater Lake) and arrive in Portland on July 4.
  • We have an SUV so we'll need to park it somewhere.
  • We're vegetarians.
  • My wife and I are vaccinated but our daughter is not. In general we're cautious, wear marks and averse to being around large crowds as a result.
  • Enjoy museums (art and science), scenic walks (but not strenuous
Looking for feedback on:
  1. Where to stay? As I mentioned we have an SUV and will need to park it somewhere.
    1. I was looking at the hotels downtown (Marriott/Hyatt etc) and all of them have an atrocious fee w/Valet parking (not sure if that gives us in/out privileges).
    2. We also considered staying nearer to the airport (Marriott Residence Inn perhaps) where parking is free and the rooms may be tad larger but we're concerned whether the area is good and whether its better to stay in downtown so we can walk around?
    3. What would you recommend?
  2. What to do? We have a total of three days in Portland.
    1. We will have 2 full days and would love some recommendations.
    2. Day 3 is my wife's birthday and I was thinking of taking her to the Columbia River Gorge. AFAICT she would love such a thing on her birthday.
  3. I love cycling but will not be able to bring my bike. I've heard Portland is amazing for cycling and would love feedback if I can sneak in a 3 hour ride.
Thank you!
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 05:07 AM

We were in Portland recently with a car. We stayed at the Inn at Northrup Station in the Northwest district. The hotel offered free parking (first come, first served) and has quite a few spaces. We were always able to park there. I thought it was a lovely neighborhood with lots of restaurants. It's also right on the tram line, and the hotel gives out free passes. We also liked having the full kitchen in the room.

I'm not sure if things have changed since we were there about a month ago, but we had to buy timed tickets in advance for some places, such as the Japanese Garden and Chinese garden.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 06:43 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. It sounds like staying away from downtown worked out for you. Is it worth staying away and driving to downtown possible? We're not yet comfortable with public transit because my daughter is not vaccinated.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 07:12 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
FYI: the big fireworks shows will be on Saturday night (July 3 about 9:30PM) in the Portland area. Check out the Red Lion Inn out near PDX. I see no problem with riding the TriMet light rail into downtown if you all wear masks for the 15-20 minute ride from a station near PDX. The east end of the red line is right outside baggage claim at PDX.
Old Jun 24th, 2021, 08:07 PM
Original Poster

I booked the Inn at Northrup station. Making a few other bookings now. Thank you for the suggestion!
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 08:06 AM

There is a bike/pedestrian trail in Portland called the Springwater Corridor. You can download maps online. Or, there are paved trails on both sides of the river. You can rent a bike and ride that trail- you could do a circle by crossing over a couple of the bridges. I think you would have to walk your bike in one area where there are restaurants and hotels but its not far.

OMSI is a science museum you might enjoy - many hands on displays geared for children.
A jet boat ride on the Willamette would be fun.
Travel Portland is a good website for seeing what to do and what is happening in the city
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep an eye on the weather forecasts after this weekend... Portland is currently experiencing an excessive heat wave. 113 is predicted for Sunday 6/27. Accuweather thinks there will be a "cooling" to the low 90s by July 4th and into the mid-80s in the days following, but it's a bit too soon to be confident in any long-range forecasts.
Old Jun 25th, 2021, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the warning on the heat. Will keep an eye out. Fingers crossed things cool down.
The Springwater Corridor looks awesome. I found a couple of places where I can rent a proper roadbike. Hope to get in at least one good ride (although the wife and kid just rolled their eyes when I told them )
Old Jun 27th, 2021, 12:37 PM

The original post is grand for detail... and I wholly endorse the Columbia Gorge for your wife's birthday... MAYbe try to go as far east as Maryhill, WA to see (its full-sized replica of) Stonehenge there.

(clarity: you need a random-ish turning-around point when going eastward, to see the Gorge on a daytrip)

IDEALLY you might get as far east as Maryhill with enough time left over to circle up to Timberline Lodge on your way back toward Portland. Should be gorgeous there now with Mount Hood right out the back door (POW! - in your face <distance> ).

Downtown Portland is pleasant and walkable but the concentrations of homeless in some areas just isn't fit for Portland's impression on the rest of the world.

Go to Voodoo Donut for sure... and if so inclined, go in the late evening... (although, with the daughter not vaccinated, some caution is sensible)

(but most of your waiting will be OUTside... <pause> now that I think about it... to be INside of Voodoo Donut with an 11yo daughter might test my levels of tolerance)

(*** I say that ONLY due to the amount of sexual innunendo in the air, and on the signs)

(if she starts asking questions, have mom answer them... "... later!" ) (or, rely on the never-failing classmates...)

BUT... all of you should at some point visit Voodoo Donut, which is a wonderful place that is truly Portland.

Additionally, maybe "Cartlandia" if you get far enough from central Portland. And if not, be sure to devote a meal or 3 to the food carts that are so plentiful and woven into local society.
Old Jul 3rd, 2021, 12:35 PM

There isn't any reason anyone "has" to go to Voodoo Donut. Surprisingly, some people don't like donuts (me, for one), they are just fat and sugar basically, and not healthy. Their donuts aren't any better, as far as I'm concerned, and I've had one. It's just a chain, even if started locally.

Of course the Rose Garden is lovely.
https://www.portland.gov/parks/washi...se-test-garden

I also enjoyed the art museum. Now you do have to wear masks there if not vaccinated unless the daughter is a baby or toddler.
https://www.portlandmuseum.org/

I'm sure I drove to the Rose Garden but can't recall if I drove to the art museum or not, I think I may have as I had my car after doing some time out of town towards COlumbia Gorge. I might have taken the tram, though.

Old Jul 5th, 2021, 11:16 AM

I might be a little late. I suggest a dinner at the Old Spaghetti Factory. The view overlooks the river and the food is pretty good. Appropriate for you and your daughter. Not real fancy but not a diner.
Old Jul 22nd, 2021, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Christina
There isn't any reason anyone "has" to go to Voodoo Donut. .

Uh, where does it say "has to go to Voodoo Donut".

And whether you like donuts has zero bearing on the concern.