Draft 1st Greek Itinerary for Sept 2021

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 18th, 2021, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a first time trip to Greece in September. I have the airline reservations already. So far, this is what I have, but wondering about decreasing the number of days in Santorini and/or Athens and/or Naxos to add in a 2 night stay in Paros after Naxos, b/c I think that we may enjoy the islands more than the big city and anticipate another trip in the future that will give us an opportunity to see Athens again. Appreciate any comments on whether adding 2 nights in Paros would be too much. Another question is whether I should buy ferry tickets ahead of time.

9/17 Arrive ATH in am and Olympic flight to Santorini - arrives 2:20pm
9/17-9/21 - Santorini - 4 nights and 3.5 days in Santorini
9/21 - ferry to Naxos
9/21 - 9/25 - Naxos - 4 nights and 3.5 days in Naxos
9/25 - ferry to Athens
9/25 - 9/29 - Athens- 4 nights and 3 days in Athens
9/29 - Depart for US noon

Thank you,
Sally
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 06:53 AM

I prefer Paros to Naxos, but never try to persuade people to change their choice of island. Two nights equals only one full day, so it would probably be better to give Paros a miss this time. Come back when you have at least a week to see the best of Paros and Antiparos.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 07:10 AM

The second half of September is no longer high season. Therefore, there is no need to book ferry tickets long ahead.
If the covid situation gets better until September (as it looks like today), the easiest solution would be to buy your tickets for the 2 ferry legs immediately after arrival at Santoirini, in any travel office. Otherwise book 1-2 weeeks ahead through the Bluestarferries website and collect your tickets at Santorini at the office of the Bluestar agent.
As to the length of the stay at Naxos and may be Paros, all depends on your interests (visit of mountain villages by bus or rental car, hiking, mule riding, beaches.....).
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 07:54 AM

Drop a day off Santorini and add it to Naxos ... Santorini is 12 miles long, HIGHLY touricized, beaches are meh, mainly about looking at the caldera view, and that can be done eaisly in 24-36 hours, unless you need to spend a lot of time buying jewelry or waiting in line for cable car or standing at the parapet in Oia for a sunset that is lovely elsewhere (rant over). On the other hand, Naxs is THE largest island of the Cyclades, golden sand beaches dramatic hill & mountain landscapes, authentic villages, and actual Greeks living their lives. Excellent bus network so car rental needed only if you want a day's exploration on your own. Make it 4.5 days in Naxos, and save Paros/Antiparos for your NExt trip.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 09:54 AM

I think your itinerary is fine as it is without adding another island.

You do not have to do the "travelerjan" version of a visit to Santorini. Greeks live their lives in Santorini as on most Greek islands. Greeks go to Santorini on holiday, if you speak Greek, you will hear the different accents and dialects from different parts of the Greek world. Santorini does get alot of tourists but that is for a reason. Even in the most touristy places, whether Santorini or Mykonos or elsewhere, there is always authentic Greek culture to be found with local specialities and customs. .And this year might be the best year to go, as tourist numbers may not be the same as in previous years.
And please give the mule rides a miss, on Santorini or any other island.

Old Jun 18th, 2021, 10:19 AM

Like Heimdall I prefer Paros, but your itinerary looks fine to me.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the input. I had reviewed previous threads in putting together this itinerary. It has been a great resource for planning.