Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Anyone else have any knowledge of this??

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15th, 2021, 12:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just saw this when searching for information on whether we can now travel to Europe!! I hadn't heard of this and it must be new since we have NEVER needed a visa for Europe before. Has anyone else heard of it or know anything further??? Anyone used it before or even for 2021 travel to Europe???? """""The ETIAS Online Visa Waiver (European Travel Information and Authorization System) was created for U.S. citizens who wish to travel around Europe for up to 90-days. All U.S. citizens visiting Europe are required to hold a valid ETIAS to enter and travel around all the ETIAS countries.""""""""
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 12:57 PM

ETIAS has been delayed until 2023. It is the equivalent of the EST Europeans, and others need for the US, but cheaper and lasts longer.
The UK are planning on something similar in the near futre too.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 01:57 PM

"We" did need a visa for Europe at some time in the past, as I had to get one to go to France at one time. I'm American. So maybe you are just too young to know that or never went at that time, but what you wrote just isn't true, in case you didn't know. I think it was in the late 1980s and was due to terrorism. This was pre-internet and wasn't too much trouble for me as I lived in LA and there was a French Consulate there. Doing it online is easy.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 03:14 PM

Agree that you used to have to get European visas. This was just before Schengen. I had to get one for Spain and also France. I'm Australian but I think the visa rule was quite widespread. After Schengen kicked in it became irrelevant. I had French visas in 1988 and 1989-90. I think Schengen was 1992???

Lavandula
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 04:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
The Etias will be required for citizens of 62 countries starting sometime in the not toooo distant future, which includes the US. The original date was supposed to be 2022, I don't know if that has been extended. It is an online form that you fill out and pay for.

"The legal procedures to pass the ETIAS have started in 2016, and the system is expected to be launched on January 1, 2022. It will, however, become completely effective and obligatory for travellers only by the end of 2022."

Google ETIAS and the pertinent info will be returned.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/etias/

Last edited by joannyc; Jun 15th, 2021 at 05:00 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2021, 10:50 PM

Just came back from Croatia. Departed Boston on May 25th to Split, Croatia thru Amsterdam. Effortless with no issues. Same as pre-covid. Just had to show that we were vaccinated. Coming home was great, plane held 290 people, 38 on board!!
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by mike1728
Just came back from Croatia. Departed Boston on May 25th to Split, Croatia thru Amsterdam. Effortless with no issues. Same as pre-covid. Just had to show that we were vaccinated. Coming home was great, plane held 290 people, 38 on board!!
This has nothing to do with the ETIAS visa waiver requirement from 2023.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 05:13 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Glad to hear it has been put off till 2023.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 09:03 AM

It's not a visa. It's like the ESTA Europeans and others need to fill in prior to visiting the US without a visa.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 10:33 AM

The ESTA isn't a big deal to get to go to the US, it's much easier now that getting the US visa that we used to have stamped in our passports and the trip to Grosvenor Square to the US Embassy to get it (id you were in the UK). Sometimes they wanted to interview you in person.

Then it was replaced by the visa waiver scheme and had to fill in those green paper forms and now it is the online ESTA. I can't see the European equivalent being an issue, hopefully it will also be a simple process. I would think the ETIAS online system was created for all nationalities that are eligible for the ETIAS, not only for US citizens who want to travel around Europe. Some nationalities will still need US visas.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 09:43 PM

The ESTA for the US is not a big deal. I remember the old green paper forms. Much more efficient to refuse entry in advance to people you don't want to enter your country, rather than turn them back after they arrived. The European system will work in the same way, not just for Americans.
If you have a criminal record you are automatically refused.
Old Jun 16th, 2021, 11:22 PM

An ESTA is not a guarantee that you will be allowed to enter the US, you can still be turned back at the border. Same with a visa.
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by balthy
An ESTA is not a guarantee that you will be allowed to enter the US, you can still be turned back at the border. Same with a visa.
Same for ETIAS. And it will be the same for whatever system the UK comes up with too.

https://abackpackerstale.com/all-you...tions-answered
Old Jun 17th, 2021, 12:32 AM

Not a guarantee, but at least some will be flagged when they apply for an ESTA and will not make the trip.

I am more worried about the UK locking up EU citizens and sending them back without good reasons;
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tment-scandals

Old Jun 18th, 2021, 12:16 AM

Those forms one had to complete before entering the U.S. contained a question about having been convicted of an offence of moral turpitude. Does anyone know what the phrase meant?

Before visiting the U.S. for the first time in 1982, I had to get a proper visa, including a letter from my employer that I would still have a job on my return after 3 weeks.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 01:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
An offence is the tricky one, what counts as an offence in the US can be very different in other countries
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 03:16 AM

I think they mean a criminal conviction in their home country. During the past year people have been convicted of violating corona regulations, and in some instances got a criminal record as a result.
A bit harsh to be denied entry to the US because you stayed out after curfew.
Old Jun 18th, 2021, 03:22 AM

If someone has a criminal record and are wanting to travel to the US and if they have been refused an ESTA because of it, they have to apply for a visa which might or might not be granted. ESTA is a just a visa waiver scheme and not all circumstances qualify for the visa to be waived, it does not necessarily mean they will not make the trip.

Old Jun 19th, 2021, 08:16 AM

Interesting. This is the first I have heard of this. I do remember having to get a visa to enter France as a US citizen years ago. It doesn't sound difficult to obtain but one more item to add to the "to do" list in the future.
Old Jun 19th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Original Poster

KT traveler and others who responded........I was not complaining about the ESTA, just looking for further information on it! We, as US citizens, have always needed a Visa for travel to Australia (since 1983 anyway) but haven't needed one for travel to Europe in the past 20 years at least! When I saw the website, it was unclear when it would be implemented. And as KT said, it is just one more thing to deal with when traveling, but not a big deal! Thank you to all who posted responses.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -