France weather in October

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2021, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning trip to France the first weeks of October. Not sure what to expect for weather, or what to pack. Assume it will be cool, but hopefully not cold. Since much of time will be walking outside what should we pack? Will a heavy coat be necessary? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
Old May 10th, 2021, 05:43 PM

I was in Paris in October 2019, and the weather was beautiful. I had packed sweaters and long sleeves and didn't end up wearing them. I wore short sleeve tops and slacks. I did wear my rain resistant jacket a few times and used my umbrella. That being said, the weather is so changeable from year to year. Rather than a heavy coat, I would bring things you can layer and a water resistant jacket. Maybe a scarf if you like them.
Old May 10th, 2021, 06:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
France is a very big place -- Paris has different weather than Brittany, and both have different weather than the south coast or the Alps - and so on. Where/which parts of the country. In many regions IME early October is closer to Indian Summer-type weather than winter/cold weather.
Old May 10th, 2021, 10:22 PM

Nice is wonderful in October, usually around 20oC
Old May 11th, 2021, 12:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd recommend Google.
Old May 11th, 2021, 05:23 AM

The website wunderground.com lets you choose a place and look at the historical weather. You can see by day, week or month in any year. Looking at a few years can help you with the expected variability. Then you can track actual weather and the forecast as you get closer to your trip. For example here is for St Remy de Provence the first week of October 2018. https://www.wunderground.com/history...date/2018-10-3

Old May 11th, 2021, 06:47 AM

Where in France? We were in Provence several years ago in early October and the weather was beautiful. Sunny and comfortable temps. We brought lightweight jackets but I don't think we wore them at all. Long pants/slacks and either short-sleeved tops or long-sleeved. Of course you should bring a jacket and umbrella in case it is cool and rainy but if you are in southern France, I think you will have nice weather.
Old May 11th, 2021, 04:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
We were just talking about this tonight. We have been twice in May, once in October, once in December, and yes, one time in Feb and we had ice and snow in Paris. On this trip we are going on the 3rd of Nov to Paris, Brussels, Ypres and wherever else we decide. Husband said let's go to Amsterdam on Sunday. I just bought a new gore-tex hooded rain jacket that is longer. I will layer with whatever is needed for the day. I bought a new lightweight cowl neck sweater. We live in Fl so make sure I have wool socks, cheap knit gloves as I like the ones you can wash after holding on to the escalator handrails and the metro poles. I bring a couple of pair. I think one time we were in Normandy and it was bitter cold one day and stinking hot the next. Layers work well but the rain jacket is a must for me.
Old May 13th, 2021, 09:57 AM

Momburd, the following pair of weather sites have served us well:
-meteociel.fr
-accuweather.com

Please share your itinerary with us or at least the region and then it'll be easy for folks here to advise.
I am done. le ciel
Old May 14th, 2021, 09:10 AM

We've visited the Cote d'Azur a few times in October, and when it was not raining, the weather was usually good enough for lunch on the beach in shorts.
You will not know what it will be like until a few days before you travel, even looking at averages.
Old May 14th, 2021, 09:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
October is generally quite nice. Except when it isn't. No guarantees, but as a general hint it might help to know that apartment buildings with collective heating are not permitted to start heating until 15 October unless there is a huge unseasonal cold wave. Most people don't need to heat before November 1st.
Old May 15th, 2021, 10:46 AM

don't know where you are from, but there are varous weather websites that gives you monthly and historical averages.

Paris weather is fairly similar to New York Ctty, so pack like you would if you were going there.