Road trip from philadelphia to Maine in July or August

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2021, 06:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking to drive halfway from Philly to Kennebunkport staying one night leaving and one night coming home. Looking for advice where to stay. Would like recommendations for upscale hotel, Inns or resorts
Old May 10th, 2021, 06:34 AM
Forum Moderator

Welcome to Fodors. We have moved your thread to the United States Forum
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:18 AM
J62

Hartfrod is half way
Old May 10th, 2021, 04:28 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
My suggestion is to let Amtrak do the driving. Take a North East Regional train to Boston South station (or Back Bay). If you arrive in Boston lat in the day spend a night in Boston and then take the first Downeaster from Boston North station to your destination in Maine. You can easily rent a car in Maine.
Old May 10th, 2021, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by tomfuller
My suggestion is to let Amtrak do the driving. Take a North East Regional train to Boston South station (or Back Bay). If you arrive in Boston lat in the day spend a night in Boston and then take the first Downeaster from Boston North station to your destination in Maine. You can easily rent a car in Maine.
Boston is a good suggestion, I'd hit Newport on the way back. There are lots of good hotels at both places. In Boston I like the Four Seasons in the Back Bay or the Mandarin Oriental. Both hotels are in great locations and are my two favorites in town, the Boston Harbor Hotel is really nice as well I just don't like the location as much as the other two. The Castle Inn or the Vanderbilt in Newport are two of the nicer places to stay in that town. We are doing an overnight in Newport this summer on the way to Martha's Vinyard and I booked a nice suite at the Viking Hotel this time which is located right in town and looks pretty nice too. Stayed at Gurney's one time, it kind of has a younger party scene vibe if your looking for that.

Last edited by Tonyr4; May 10th, 2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 10th, 2021, 04:57 PM
J62

I understood the request as to how to split up the long drive Kennebunkport to Philly. Since it's only 1.5 hrs from Boston to Kennebunkport that hardly breaks up the long trip going home....

Perhaps I read the intent wrong...
Old May 10th, 2021, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by J62
I understood the request as to how to split up the long drive Kennebunkport to Philly. Since it's only 1.5 hrs from Boston to Kennebunkport that hardly breaks up the long trip going home....

Perhaps I read the intent wrong...
There is not a whole lot to see in Hartford I'd continue up to Boston for the night.
Old May 11th, 2021, 12:55 AM

Detouring to stop in Providence adds about 45 minutes to the trip. It has been years since we stayed at the Omni. It is connected to the Providence Place Mall if you wanted to do some shopping, within walking distance of the Italian neighborhood and Waterplace Park. We did a food tour a couple of years ago which was fun. I'm not a fan of the very crowded Waterfire events but a friend loved it should you be there when they are having one.
Old May 11th, 2021, 06:31 AM

i don't know what route you are taking, but Sturbridge Mass would be a good place to spend an overnight. Since it's a popular tourist destination, I'm sure there are some nice hotels in the area.