Touring by Car in Seattle

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2021, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We booked months ago for a rental car for early June and got a relatively, for these days, good price. Our adult daughter, dealing with cancer complications, wants to see Seattle and WA state. We two and she will be in Seattle our first two days out of ten. Our dates are not optional as we don't know how quickly our daughter's cancer will advance. We are, all three, vaccinated and will wear masks. We will be based in a hotel between the Space Needle and the Bay. She can walk with us for those sights on our first day. We also plan a walk to the Olympic outdoor art park, and may get as far on foot as Pike Place Market, depending on her energy. We plan to keep all sightseeing outdoors, because of the Covid threat. I have copied car touring suggestions for Seattle from the post regarding college visits, but hope to find a route for our second day more simplified and efficient for our particular needs, not involving colleges. I would be grateful for a one day (maybe four hours) car itinerary that begins and ends at the Space Needle that would give our daughter a glimpse of the best outdoor sights Seattle has to offer, perhaps with suggestions for an outdoor lunch break or picnic lunch purchase. Thank you for your patience with my requests.

Last edited by meggies; May 5th, 2021 at 08:45 AM.
Old May 5th, 2021, 10:01 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Well there are a number of options. Here are a couple. Google the places on the maps.

1. https://goo.gl/maps/tUtNAMCX5oFPd4rP6 . This includes viewpoints such as those along the Magnolia bluff, the Ballard Locks, Fishermen's Terminal and Gas Works Park, then over to and through the UW Arboretum and down the Lake Washington shore to Leschi, then across the city to West Seattle and the Alki ("al-kai") district and finishing at Seacrest Park with its views of the city and a good outdoor picnic/patio spot at Marination Ma Kai on the water taxi pier. Access to and from West Seattle is complicated by the closure of the West Seattle Freeway bridge for the time being (years?) but not impossible. If you do the trip in the clockwise direction shown, Marination Ma Kai would be a good lunch/snack spot; if you do it counter-clockwise, then you could stop at the Bay Cafe, Chinook's or "Little Chinook's" (take-away) at Fishermen's Terminal.

2. https://goo.gl/maps/w31ohx7kEThQdznG9 . This includes a ferry ride to Bainbridge Island, along with visits to Fay Bainbridge State Park with its driftwood-covered beaches and views back to the mainland, as well as the grave of Chief Seattle, the city's namesake, in the native village of Suquamish. It includes the marvelous Bloedel Reserve, one of the premier gardens in North America, and a stop at Eagle Harbor in the island's main town of Winslow, where Doc's Marina Grill ought to have its patio open for diners; alternatively you can pick up to-go food and picnic there, before the ferry back to Seattle.

3. https://goo.gl/maps/pBRJhfHEd3VfqFAZ6 . This includes the lovely Snoqualmie Valley and spectacular Snoqualmie Falls. If you want, you can re-live some Twin Peaks sights with a piece of cherry pie and a damn fine cup of coffee at Twede's cafe in North Bend. Alternatively there are picnic facilities and carry-out food options at the falls themselves.

There are more options of course, depending on your ambition and level of energy.

Last edited by Gardyloo; May 5th, 2021 at 10:03 AM.
Old May 5th, 2021, 03:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Gardyloo. I have printed up all 8 pages of the directions and map for the Seattle driving tour. I had already printed up most of the route you recommend for Snoqualmie and North Bend, which will be on the day we leave Seattle for Tacoma area. We are grateful for your specifics and your knowledge.
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Gosh. You could do something simple like get a picnic lunch from Whole Foods (Westlake) & then drive to Greenlake, Woodland Park Zoo, Gasworks Park, Golden Gardens, Discovery Park, Volunteer Park on Capitol Hill, the Arboretum on Lake Washington (not all of them but pick one or two!).

As far as her energy for the Pike Place Market (or even the Olympic Sculpture Park) from your hotel, why don't you use the rental car? You can drive and pay & park easily in a couple different convenient garages and not have to walk too far or stress anyone out
Old May 5th, 2021, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Suze. I had already written down the address of the Parking Garage for Pike Place Market as an option. Is the parking at the Olympic Sculpture park free? I have read your advice to another person's post that the pandemic is still bad in Seattle. We are hoping for all of you as well as for us as visitors that the situation will improve by June, and we realize that remains to be seen.
Old May 6th, 2021, 06:45 AM

Here is a link about parking at Olympic Sculpture park: https://www.seattleartmuseum.org/vis...sculpture-park

There is also street parking around the whole park mostly but it is probably metered. If you don't have it already, you may want to download the "pay by phone" parking app. It is used extensively in Seattle and once you arrive you can enter your rental car info and then just pay for parking and extend it if necessary on your phone.

https://www.paybyphone.com/locations...ation%20number.

Gardyloo's suggested routes are really nice. The only thing I might add is that because of the problem of accessing West Seattle by car as he mentioned I might be tempted to substitute Ray's Cafe for lunch instead. The food might not be as special but the views are hard to beat and they have lots of parking, easy access and lots of outdoor seating.

t could be nice stop if you decide to tour the neighborhood north of downtown like this. I started from the Troll and ended at Golden Gardens Park. That could make up most of the morning ending with lunch:

https://goo.gl/maps/ogew2EUAbAqvxjbDA

Also, there is a small park called Kerry Park right near where you are staying that would be a great kick off view of the city. If you are staying between the Space Needle and the Sound, it is a 5-10 minute drive up the side of Queen Ann Hill and it offers probably the most iconic view of downtown Seattle.

I hope you have great trip!!

Kerry Park (Franklin Place) - Parks | seattle.gov
Old May 6th, 2021, 03:53 PM

Pretty sure it is a for-pay garage at the Sculpture Park. I know it was when I've been there for events in the past. A regular one where you use the machine, get a ticket, put it on your dashboard system.

Sadly I doubt June will be any different here. Actually we just went backwards temporarily one step/phase of reopening per the Governor. I'm not traveling myself yet.

Old May 6th, 2021, 05:08 PM

Yes the parking garage is a pay lot at the Sculpture Park. It is cheaper on the weekends if that helps in the OP's planning.
Old May 7th, 2021, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your suggestions and directions. We use these forums for wherever we travel. Jpie, I love that Kerry Park suggestion for an overview! Suze, I will keep tracking the covid stats for WA and Seattle.
Old May 8th, 2021, 06:45 AM

I realized I kind of mixed together my comments about the pay garage at the sculpture park and the paybyphone app. The app is only used for paid metered parking on the street-the lot at the park is a private pay lot.

Kerry Park is really lovely and easy to access. When you pull up you can just park right in front and the view "smacks you right in the face" so to speak. And it isn't a large area so very easy to walk to the viewpoint. The Sculpture Park on the other hand is fairly large, so you might want to pace yourself there a bit.
Old May 10th, 2021, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

"Kerry Park is really lovely and easy to access. When you pull up you can just park right in front and the view "smacks you right in the face" so to speak. And it isn't a large area so very easy to walk to the viewpoint." Jpie, if I put "Kerry Park" in our Garmin when we arrive in Seattle will it take us there, or is there a street address that will locate Kerry Park?
Old May 10th, 2021, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by meggies
"Kerry Park is really lovely and easy to access. When you pull up you can just park right in front and the view "smacks you right in the face" so to speak. And it isn't a large area so very easy to walk to the viewpoint." Jpie, if I put "Kerry Park" in our Garmin when we arrive in Seattle will it take us there, or is there a street address that will locate Kerry Park?
It should, but if it doesn't, the address is 211 W Highland Dr, Seattle, WA 98119 https://goo.gl/maps/F4bRyZQGDBCXjT9j8

Old May 10th, 2021, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

That is very helpful, Gardyloo. Thank you!
Old May 11th, 2021, 06:30 AM

Thanks gardyloo-I should have included the exact address. Also, meggies if you are a Grey's Anatomy fan, "Meredith Grey's house" from the early seasons is just around the corner at 303 W Comstock St, Seattle, WA 98119
Old May 25th, 2021, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to all for your advice. Hoping the news reports are accurate that Seattle and Washington Covid stats are looking better. Any hope of Seattle indoor sites opening up by June 1? Our daughter is really looking forward to Pike's market, which, as I remember, is part outdoors and part indoors.. We are all three vaccinated and will bring lots of masks with us.
Old May 25th, 2021, 08:17 AM

Things are getting pretty much back to "normal," whatever that is/was. The Pike (no "s") Place market is fully open, although cafes and restaurants are limited to 50% capacity. The market still requires masks of both visitors and employees. You might encounter reduced service levels or reduced hours here or there, but I doubt if it will diminish your enjoyment overall. For the full scoop, look here: COVID-19 information and resources for King County, WA - King County
Old May 25th, 2021, 12:18 PM

If you go to the market you might consider eating at the Pink Door for the view. I am mentioning that restaurant specifically because they take reservations and their website indicates they are doing dine in. We took friends there who were visiting from California and they really enjoyed it. Good food and nice ambience:

https://www.thepinkdoor.net/

You access the restaurant by an alley called the Post Alley. Here is a link to photos of the outside so that you will know what to look for (and yes the door is really pink :

https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/the-...-4?tab=outside

You should be able daughter right near the door and then park the car either in the garage for the market or a street pay spot if you get lucky.

Old May 26th, 2021, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gardyloo and jpie. Good to hear things are relaxing a bit and we intend to be cautious and considerate. Would I be unrealistic in thinking the fish throwers at Pike Place Market might be back in action too? I do think that's what my daughter is envisioning. I believe she will be happy though with a walk through the market and a lovely bowl of macaroni and cheese.
Old May 26th, 2021, 05:59 PM

{Any hope of Seattle indoor sites opening up by June 1? Our daughter is really looking forward to Pike's market, which, as I remember, is part outdoors and part indoors.}

The Pike Place Market is open and quite busy by local reports. I live in Seattle but haven't been downtown recently.
Old May 27th, 2021, 08:34 AM

Yes I know that the market is open-they were talking about it on the radio yesterday. Like suze I live in Seattle but we just got back from an extended driving trip in the southwest so we haven't made it down there yet.

Here is a link to a web cam that is aimed right at the "throwing fish" guys. It is early here still so I haven't seen any throwing action, but I am guessing they are still doing it Maybe if you check back when there are a few more people you will be able to catch them in the act!

https://www.livebeaches.com/webcams/...rket-live-cam/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -