Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Spain: Attitudes toward LGBT, women compared with US?

Search

Spain: Attitudes toward LGBT, women compared with US?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 03:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spain: Attitudes toward LGBT, women, conservatism compared with US?

Hi everyone! I don’t live in Spain yet, but I joined this group because I’m looking to in the future - and I’m absolutely in love with everything about Spain’s vibrant culture and beautiful land alike!

May I ask for your opinions on something, from your personal experiences? I live in the US, and I hear different things about how the lifestyle and society compare in general: from some people, I hear that Spaniards overall tend to be more open/outgoing, tolerant and liberal than Americans - including their attitudes towards LGBT people and women. But, from other sources I hear the opposite - that Spaniards are in general MORE conservative and reserved than Americans, expecting more formal dress even recreationally for example.

I know everywhere will have individual, and regional differences in beliefs and norms of course. But what have YOUR experiences of the general differences been, for those of you who have spent time in both countries?

Thank you so much!

Last edited by ChrisLJ99; Apr 3rd, 2021 at 03:26 PM.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 01:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In Valencia, my friend and I once saw two elderly gentlemen, 70+, sitting on a bench, dressed in what I would call grey "grandpa" clothing, as we were walking along a sidewalk in Valencia. They first caught my eye when I noticed odd movements but when I realized one man was giving another man a "glorious time" with his mouth, we walked by quickly, in complete shock at what we had just seen in broad daylight in a busy city. I reported this back to my Spanish friend who told me that although the Spaniards love to show love, that was even in his book one step too far.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 02:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd guess that they'd both have been arrested if a member of the Guardia Civil had seen them. That's certainly not my experience in Valencia or anywhere else in Spain.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 04:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I guess it depends on being in a city or being in the countryside. Big cities will be very open to LGBT, especially Barcelona and Madrid.

Old Apr 4th, 2021, 11:07 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a LOT of gay venues in both Barcelona and Madrid and there are a LOT of gay people in both cities but I'm not sure just how well the numbers translate into acceptance. Toleration maybe; acceptance I cannot say. But let's face it: there are a lot of gays in a LOT of places in the US, too and we know the story about tolerance and acceptance here.

My question: do you feel the absolute need to LIVE in a so-called "gayborhood" if and when you do move?
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 11:31 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
From your other thread it seems you are planning on University/Med school.

There will be 'liberal' and 'conservative' people and attitudes just like most countries. But at university you will find a lot of diversity and will be able to make connections with people who are supportive and 'like minded'.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 07:57 AM

Spain is one of the most liberal countries in the world. I think it was the second country passing the gay marriage, and LGTB is a very normal thing, as is nudity on TV since the early 80s. The Guardia Civil accepts in a natural way gays in its uniform and they don´t care about your sexual preferences. Regarding formal attire...well, we are always to surprised to watch US movies where kids wear a suit in a funeral or a wedding, practically nobody would do it here. People dress informally, casual, and suits and ties are receding quickly. To make a long story short...we really don´t care about your sexual preferences and (I´d swear) that nobody will tell you anything (of course, there are exceptions, like everywhere else).

Last edited by mikelg; Apr 5th, 2021 at 08:05 AM.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 03:02 PM

I believe that this should not bother anyone at all, it is a pity that LGBT people are faced with a bad attitude towards themselves