Racial attitudes in Sicily?

Dec 22nd, 2002, 09:43 AM
x

Racial attitudes in Sicily?

Out of curiosity (and this is a serious question) would a couple that is dark-skinned be treated overtly differently than any other tourist? I am just interested in general as to what the feelings are toward people of color in Sicily.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 11:29 AM
xxx

There are no attitudes. Except if you look like an illegal immigrant who has just landed with a leaking boat.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 01:34 PM
md

When we were in Italy (Rome, Milan, Venice) in 2001, the streets were filled with street hawkers who all seemed to be migrants from central Africa. They were selling counterfeit ware and I think the only Italian or English they knew was "Prada-prada-prada".

Of course, other street people and sellers are Albanians and (!) local Italians.

I'm guessing the locals can tell from your clothes and how you act that you are tourists and will treat you properly.

My general impression of Europe was that nobody could afford to feel that they are ethnically superior - every country has its ups and down in its history. They are more tolerant of each other.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 03:56 PM
xxx

I think those of us with not-so-dark skin should defer to thse with dark skin to answer that question. And to the original poster: Are you black? Indian? Arab? I'd imagine that makes a difference and will help you get a better response.

Dec 22nd, 2002, 04:10 PM
It is

Are there black albinos? Albino blacks? Are they "people of color" or "people of no color"?