UK airport restrictions

Search

UK airport restrictions

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK airport restrictions

So turns out the ticket we booked thru IceandicAir from Seattle to Iceland then to London this summer could potentially still be used IF we are allowed to hop another flight out straight to Greece but am unsure whether we will be subject to UK restrictions as the ticket would not technically be considered a LAYOVER. Does anyone know if I can get around that or do I need to change my whole flight itinerary thru Icelandic?
Sincerely,
Longing for Greece in July
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 05:09 AM

Things often change. And I do not offer that is is accurate. But BA suggests a certain third party app to tell you what is required for your trip. https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...y-requirements
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 09:58 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There is absolutely no way to tell now. Ask again in a couple of months. However - what you mean by ". . . as the ticket would not technically be considered a LAYOVER" ?

This is one ticket, right? Why are you concerned that is is not a layover?
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 10:48 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
The way I read it the flight to Greece would be an add on?
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 11:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
In either case, transiting at LHR is allowed. They don't stop people from leaving the country. The issue would be IF Greece is closed to US travelers at the time -- whichever airline is flying them to Greece will verify that they are allowed in.

Currently IF a transit passenger is over night in the UK they simply would have to stay in the hotel self isolating until checking in for their onward flight.

But as mentioned there is no way to tell what might happen 4+ months from now.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 03:30 PM

If you are overnighting in the UK between flights, you are entering the UK & you have to go into quarantine which is normally for 10 days but you can leave quarantine early for a valid reason eg to travel to the next destination. Where you quarantine depends on which country you were in before arriving in the UK, if it is a red list country, you have to quarantine in a specific government selected hotel, if not, then you can quarantine elsewhere. I'm not sure what you do about the COVID test package for days 2 & 8, whether you have to purchase it even if it is not used. The reference number issued for the purchase of the test package has to go on the Passenger Locator form that you complete for arrival into the UK. You will need a negative COVID test. Obviously no one knows which countries will be on the red list in a few months time and there will be changes announced, some were expected to be announced today but nothing materialised.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 03:34 PM
Original Poster

I ended up changing my ticket thru Iceland air So it would reflect my travel only from the United States into Keflavík then I am going to purchase a separate flight into Athens on Lufthansa Airlines so I should be good to go now. Thank you all for the responses.
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 10:19 PM

Good luck! I believe Iceland is a Schengen country, so you will probably have to go through passport control there, now that you are transiting to another Schengen country instead of the U.K.

You might want to read this on the Icelandair website:
Please note: Iceland is welcoming vaccinated visitors from outside the Schengen zone, but further travel from Iceland to the rest of Europe is currently not permitted for non-Schengen residents.”
https://www.icelandair.com/blog/iceland-is-open-faq/

Last edited by Heimdall; Apr 5th, 2021 at 10:54 PM.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by balthy
If you are overnighting in the UK between flights, you are entering the UK & you have to go into quarantine which is normally for 10 days but you can leave quarantine early for a valid reason eg to travel to the next destination. Where you quarantine depends on which country you were in before arriving in the UK, if it is a red list country, you have to quarantine in a specific government selected hotel, if not, then you can quarantine elsewhere. I'm not sure what you do about the COVID test package for days 2 & 8, whether you have to purchase it even if it is not used. The reference number issued for the purchase of the test package has to go on the Passenger Locator form that you complete for arrival into the UK. You will need a negative COVID test. Obviously no one knows which countries will be on the red list in a few months time and there will be changes announced, some were expected to be announced today but nothing materialised.
I've been reading a lot about this on FlyerTalk. Can you post a link to your information for updates or keep posting as the occur?

Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:57 AM

Here is the link. In general all info will be on gov.uk somewhere.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...1-e3109cce8eae
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by balthy
Here is the link. In general all info will be on gov.uk somewhere.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...1-e3109cce8eae

Thank you!
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 01:44 PM

As of now, it’s still unclear if and when Greece will open to US citizens so I hope your flights are cancellable or changeable!

https://gr.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 02:10 AM

It’s also unclear when non-Schengen residents will be able to travel from Iceland to Germany (see post #8), so the OP may have made a mistake by changing the tickets.