Search

isle of palms - March/April 2021 with kids

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 02:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
isle of palms - March/April 2021 with kids

Hello!
Driving to IOP end of March for kids (ages 3, 6, 8) spring break and staying at a rental home. Giving an idea of what we are used to: we just cancelled our annual trip to ST.John USVI (where I grew up) because still not comfy with covid and flying. We spend a lot of time with my in laws in Bethany Beach DE but it’s not as warm in March/ April. ((We need a change of scenery!!!))

1. how easy is it to get to a beach from a rental house 2 blocks away? Are there pockets of beach access between homes? Or parking lots? I see I can rent golf carts. Can you just park on the side of the street and walk? Do you use meters for golf carts? So fancy for this Caribbean girl!

2. we are pretty conservative re: covid. Are restaurants open to take out? Any delivery happening? Can I use door dash or through restaurants only? We will cook a lot.

3. What are some good must-do for my age group? Ideally we spend most time playing sand at the beach or swimming at house pool. Bike around. I want to try kayaks but my 3/4 yo doesn’t swim well. Do kayaks allow non-swimmers? What about sailing? Any recommendations?

4. A trip to Charleston would be a first for all of us, so curious on any covid friendly things to do for younger elementary kids.

cheers!
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 02:32 AM

I haven't been to IOP for a long time and then it was at a friend's house in Wild Dunes. Here is a parking access site that maybe you can find where your public beach access would be for your rental house. My mantra for beach rental is "oceanfront" "oceanfront". And with your offseason time I would thing it would be fairly easy and not as expensive as in season.

As for children's things in Charleston, there is the Aquarium but I don't know about how open things are. Dining in Charleston is in full swing with outdoors and distancing. Our kids were there. There is a cat cafe that might be fun(ny) for kids.

https://www.iop.net/police/beach-parking

Well, who would expect it to be dropped in my mail box. This is from Trip Advisor
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

And this about Charleston
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-...Vacations.html

Last edited by Gretchen; Jan 24th, 2021 at 02:40 AM.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Gretchen! We just locked in a place not on the beach but it has a pool (please be heated) and is a block away from the beach. I hope I don’t have buyer’s remorse. We wanted space for our kids to run and bike. But I’m ok with the kids walking off energy getting to the beach. They’ve been cooped up for a year!

We haven’t even eaten outside at a restaurant since last March so I will mentally prepare myself! Secretly hoping us adults will have a vaccine by then.

I’ll take another look at the links!
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 03:02 AM

Even if you have a vaccine you still will need to mask up and distance. With children as young as yours would you be eligible? Some of my 85 year old friends don't have an appointment until March themselves.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know where you live, but here in PA even people over 75 are having a GREAT deal of difficulty getting the vaccine.
Old Jan 25th, 2021, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Oh YES! Even with a vaccine a mask and all precaution is necessary. Of course! Of course.
I realize my vaccine comment sounded flippant. Forums are so hard. Perhaps I used vaccine in the same way someone would say "world peace." Just a hope. What I meant to say is that I am very anxious about a trip outside of my health bubble and a vaccine would maybe give me some (?) peace of mind on the trip while continuing all precautions. I can't bring myself to eat at a restaurant inside or out. We don't even go to playgrounds if other children are there. Some may argue my precautions are over the top. It will take years for me to undo them. I might be losing my mind. I just need to be in a different place than inside these 4 walls for the last year, and let my kids run on a beach. Haha.

I think some states / counties are better than others with the vaccine roll out. My mom and MIL are vaccinated as well as other extended family members. A percentage of my friends too. Essential worker status can influence timelines. Best we can do is just keep taking precautions and be creative with our mental health! Cheers!