Search

Advice on three month road trip - South/ Deep South

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2021, 12:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on three month road trip - South/ Deep South

Hello!
  • I have an extremely flexible remote part time job. I can essentially work wherever/ whenever I want as long as I have half decent internet.
  • I live in Davenport, Iowa and want to get away from the cold/ see some states I've never visited.
  • I plan for this trip to be 2 - 3 months long. But I've really got as much time as I need.
  • Due to Covid I'm focusing on outdoor activities (nat parks, scenic locations, interesting neighborhoods, etc).
  • That being said if there is an indoor activity that you feel is a must let me know. Hopefully I will be able to get vaccinated in the coming months
  • I'll be working half the time so plan on getting an airbnb for 5 - 7 days at a time and then moving to the next location.
  • I'm particularly interested in civil rights related landmarks/ history. I'm also trying to learn more about the Civil War too.
  • Not really a foodie and due to Covid planning on cooking most of my food at airbnb.
Here are the states I plan to visit:
  • Kentucky
  • Tennessee (have already been to Nashville so will probably skip that)
  • North Carolina
  • South Carolina
  • Georgia
  • Florida Panhandle
  • Alabama
  • Mississippi
  • Louisiana
  • Arkansas
Currently thinking about this order:

Louisville -> Chattanooga -> Charlotte -> Raleigh -> Charlotte -> Charleston -> Savannah -> Atlanta -> Colombus -> Birmingham -> Montgomery -> Mobile -> Lafayette -> Little Rock -> Memphis

Let me know thoughts/ any must sees!
Old Jan 22nd, 2021, 03:05 AM

There are several books that give information on visiting Civil War sites. Two that we have used are:

The Civill War Sourcebook -A Traveler’s Guide by Chuck Lawliss
The Civil War Battlefield Guide - from the Conservation Fund edited by Frances H Kennedy

That said if you want to stay in one place and do day trips, you might want to include Virginia in your list. There are hundreds of sites to visit there.
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 07:11 AM

You might want to post on the United States Forum and tag the States you are interested in. I don't think too many people read this Road Trips one.

What is the timing of your trip?

PS I'm not actually sure you will be able to get a vaccine out of your home state and county, but that may change, who knows?

Along the Panhandle and adjacent parts of Alabama, some places may remain closed especially inside visitor centers . For internet I'd probably base near Pensacola.
Old Jan 26th, 2021, 08:49 AM

Personally, I"d definitely add Virginia, I am very surprised you left it off. Lots of history there, and good museums and sites. I don't really get why you are going to the FL panhandle, which I think is a big snooze. It isn't even on your route, you have to go out of your way to go there (in-between Atlanta and Birmingham). I always thought LIttle Rock was sort of boring, also. I mean fine if you had plenty of time, but given your itinerary and interests, to leave off Virginia seems a shame to me. Not to mention WV, there is even a new national park in the SE corner of it. WV has a lot of natural beautfy and great parks. One of the most interesting sites I visited re Civil War history was Antietam battlefield, the rangers there do a fantastic job of telling the story of what happened. Of course then you'd have to go way up to Harpers Ferry area which isn't really on your track. But Richmond area and Charlottesville are, there is the Appomatox museum down there, also, even if you don't go to Richmond. If you don't think Virginia is Deep South, yeah, ok, but believe me there is a lot of that sentiment around there. I was just in that area on holiday a few weeks ago, playing The Band's Night they Drove Old Dixie down while in the area, music for a road trip.

Also, WV and Virginia aren't closed to outside travelers, but sure, some places are. I know the museums in the Richmond area are not as I was there, nor the Appomatox Civil War museum.

those are my thoughts on your itinerary, but you do have different goals, I guess. Reading List: Paul Theroux's Deep South, and Dispatches from Pluto by Richard Grant, which is a fantastic book a lot of people don't know.

I presume the OP thinks he will get vaccinated at home, not on the road because the latter is definitely NOT going to happen, of course.
So the whole idea of getting away from the cold is somewhat moot as I suspect you won't be able to do this for a while if you wait for that. Unless you have some in with getting it in your state.