North or South Carolina in February?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2020, 05:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is a broad question, but here goes...We’re looking to go somewhere warm, but not hot, for our anniversary in February. High 60-Low 80 degrees. Plan to take 10-14 days off total and drive from WI. We like nature, water, hiking, history, architecture, art, music, beer, wine, and food. We don’t golf. Because of COVID, we’d like to isolate but once in a while step out for outdoor dining. Should we consider North or South Carolina? Haven’t been to either and looking to explore.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 05:47 AM

I live in North Carolina, but I would suggest the South Carolina coast, from Myrtle Beach down to Charleston, depending on what you're looking for. Charleston is always a great place to visit, especially if you've never been there before. Lots to do and see and plenty of excellent restaurants. Myrtle Beach also has lots of activities year-round. I love the southern end of the Grand Strand, Litchfield, Pawley's Island, Murrells Inlet. It's true "Low Country" terrain with lots of live oaks dripping with Spanish moss. Brookgreen Gardens is a relatively unknown gem with a tremendous collection of American sculpture, displayed inside and out around the beautiful grounds. I think you're more likely to get the temperate weather you seek in South Carolina rather than North Carolina. I’ve linked a video below from a resort at Murrells Inlet that will give you an idea of what the Low Country has to offer in terms of scenic beauty.

Last edited by jhk3rd; Nov 12th, 2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 07:27 AM

ALL of what was said above about the Litchfield area. There is a lot to do, day trip to Charleston or split your tie and spend a few days down there. I would really not stay in Murrell's Inlet as wonderful as it is for the best food on the SE coast. It is an INLET--not on the ocean. Look at the offerings at Litchfield Beach and Golf Resort or a rental on VRBO (perhaps) on Pawley's Island --on the beach. If you are going to the beach, stay on the beach has been my mantra!!
BUT I would be remiss if I didn't say that February weather at the SC beaches can be cold--it happens. It's called "weather"!! We have a place at Litchfield and have gone often in February and caught a cold spell.
Further south around Charleston or on down between Charleston and Savannah can offer a lott to do.
Old Nov 12th, 2020, 09:17 AM

I would agree with the above posters that South Carolina fits what you're looking for better. I am a Charleston native, and it's hard to beat visiting our historic town. I do also agree that Litchfield is nice as well,though much more laid back and with less to see/do. For Charleston, most of our restaurants are offering in door seating, albeit with reduced capacity. Some great one to try include: Husk, Pooghans Porch, 82 Queen, Cru Cafe, Herold's Cabin. The plantations are open and there won't be many crowds during that time of year. The climate in February is mild, but it can still get down below 60F, so bring a jacket.