Travelling in Italy post lockdown

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20th, 2020, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I know I am very lucky. I am from the UK and now many other countries are open for us to travel in again. I've been travelling in Italy for almost 3 weeks now and it has been wonderful.

I started in Cinque Terre and what a priviledge to be able to hike the trails with so few tourists. I completed the 2 hour trek from Riomaggiore to Telgrafo without seeing a single person. I was just surrounded by nature, beautiful butterflies everywhere, dancing dragonflies and lovely little lizards, amongst forests and vineyards and coastal paths, breathtakingly beautiful.

I decided to extend my trip. When am I ever going to have another chance to see places with so so few tourists. Lucca had been on my bucket list for so long and didn't disappoint. Florence I've been choice but no crowds at the Uffizi and Academia was too much to pass up.

Lake Como was magical. As with everywhere else it was so tranquil and peaceful and so friendly. Bellagio was breathtaking and one of the most beautiful places I have visited. Everywhere such vivid colours and so many flowers.

In Venine there were more people than I expected but apparently this is only a tenth of the number of tourists who would normally here.

Yes in some places you have to wear a mask, in shops and museums. It should be worn on all public transport but many wear it to embark and disembark and then remove it for the journey. Here in Italy it has really felt like the world is getting back to normal. That there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is shining very brightly.

​​​​​

​​​​
​​​​
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

So I know I am very lucky, I'm from the UK and am now able to travel again to many countries. For the last 3 weeks I have travelling in Italy

My journey begin in Cinque Terre and it was such a privilege to be able to hike the trails with so few tourists. I hiked from Riomaggiore to Telegrafo for 2 hours and didn't see another person. I was just surrounded by nature, beautiful butterflies, dancing dragonflies and lovely little lizards.

I decided to extend my trip. When am I ever going to getting another chance to see these places with so few people. Places I've always wanted to see or places I've,been before but could now see without the crowds.

My journey continued Lucca, Florence, Milan , Lake Como and I'm now in Venice. It has all been breathtakingly beautiful. Here in Italy it feels like the world is getting back to some normality, there is light at the end of the tunnel and it is shining very brightly.

If anyone is going to Cinque Terre I have written some up to date information on the trails with lots of photos.

https://www.daredreamdiscover.com/destinations/italy/hiking-the-cinque-terre/
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 02:38 PM

Gorgeous photos.

Where did you have to wear masks?
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nonconformist2
Gorgeous photos.

Where did you have to wear masks?
Normally indoors in shops and museums. They should be worn on public transport but most people on trains and boats wear them to embark/disembark and then take them off for the journey. Not needed inside B and Bs/hotels. Venice a bit more apparent. Not many wear them outdoors and even in some bars/restaurants you don't have to wear them indoors, mainly local places. As I'm outside almost all the time haven't worn it too much.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 02:56 PM

Beautiful photos! How wonderful that you’re able to take advantage of this time. I imagine, as a tourist, you are very welcomed!

And, may I add, how jealous I am!
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 03:05 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I love Cinque Terre hiking. Nice that you are able. We are covid land Fl. Was the pesto still so good there? I can smell the lemons in the groves.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 04:44 PM

Oh beautiful photos...and lucky you, I am so jealous. We have a 3 week trip to Liguria planned for September but even though we are allowed to enter Italy (Canadian) we will cancel because I just can't risk catching something on the long flight over, plus no insurance company will insure us for covid.
It would be fabulous to be there now with not many tourists, enjoy.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 07:51 PM

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. You are so lucky to be able to travel. We are still hoping we can travel to Europe in September.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Macross
I love Cinque Terre hiking. Nice that you are able. We are covid land Fl. Was the pesto still so good there? I can smell the lemons in the groves.
The pesto focaccia in Riomaggiore was one of the most delicious things I have ever eaten, I was drooling. Also the trek through the vineyards - halfway through there's a little place you can stop for a glass of wine
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 10:56 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by progol
Beautiful photos! How wonderful that you’re able to take advantage of this time. I imagine, as a tourist, you are very welcomed!

And, may I add, how jealous I am!
Yes, everyone was so welcoming and it was so nice to be able to have so much interaction with the locals. Did feel sad for the small businesses there. I only stayed in little family run places.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 10:59 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cafegoddess
Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. You are so lucky to be able to travel. We are still hoping we can travel to Europe in September.
Fingers crossed for you, it would be the perfect time to visit.🤞
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 11:05 PM
Forum Moderator

Your two threads have been merged
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 06:06 AM

It was the Redentore festival over the weekend in Venice. I hope you got to see some of that! May be why there were more people around. I know they did not do fireworks this year, but there were other things going on.. your photos are fantastic!
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 06:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So wonderful to finally see a trip report on this forum. Thank you so very much! Wonderful photos
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rialtogrl
It was the Redentore festival over the weekend in Venice. I hope you got to see some of that! May be why there were more people around. I know they did not do fireworks this year, but there were other things going on.. your photos are fantastic!
Thank you, I saw the boat playing live reggae music.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by OReilly64
So wonderful to finally see a trip report on this forum. Thank you so very much! Wonderful photos
Thank you so much!
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 08:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Very jealous here!

I hope they don't get too blase about mask-wearing. Italy has had 89 Covid deaths and about 1400 new cases over the past week. Those are "good" numbers compared to March and April, but the virus is still very much present.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 09:18 AM

I'm so jealous. I'm desperate to go to Europe again. When they let inAmericans it will be with a negative test which would be very difficult to get turn around in time.

Any place I'd want to go in US isn't safe- Sarasota,Fl, Palm Springs, CA or Sedona,Az. Or Hawaii which would also require negative test within 7 2 hours of travel.

Yes these places will be there next year. But I'm running out of time.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 10:05 AM

Thanks for posting, Lynn. I miss Italy the most. Your report gives me hope.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 04:44 PM

I’m so envious! To be in Italy without the
horrendous crowds is a dream come true!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -