Road trip good half way stop between NYC and Chicago

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5th, 2020, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, my daughter is renting a car from NYC LaGuardia to Chicago IL to come home hoping it will be safer than a flight during this pandemic. I need recommendations on rental car from LaGuardia and also a nice safe place to stop for the night half way or so from NYC to Chicago. Thanks

Last edited by moderator9; Jul 5th, 2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That's an expensive car rental right now, I guess a lot of people are getting out of New York .

The Best Western in Hubbard Ohio is easy off the freeway, quiet and very clean, fast food and Dunkin and gas stations at the same exit.
Old Jul 5th, 2020, 06:12 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
I stopped overnight in the Cleveland area on a similar trip.
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 06:56 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The Lake Shore Limited (49) leaves New York Penn Station at 3:40PM ET every day. It arrives in Chicago 19-20 hours later about 10AM CT. Amtrak is only selling coach seats at half capacity so you can have an empty seat beside you. A coach seat is only $90 and a Roomette is about $400. I think this beats driving and paying a one way fee.
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 08:47 AM

no, I don't think it beats driving in a pandemic. Absolutely not, you are infinitely safer in your own car by yourself than in any train with dozens of other people, I don't care if it is at half capacity or not. Perhaps you aren't aware, but one of the biggest risks is being in an enclosed space FOR HOURS with other people. In fact, flying might be safer than that given you would be exposed for lesser time.

It may be cheaper but not if you pay $400 for a roomette, but it is not safer.

For a road trip like that, any chain hotel at the right point along the highway is fine. Cleveland is about half way. I'd recommend my hometown, Elyria, which is at exit 145 (hwy 57), there is a Hampton Inn and Courtyard by Marriott there and a nearby grocery store, if you want, and an IHOP and the usual chain restos (Applebees, etc).
Old Jul 9th, 2020, 10:20 AM

. Amtrak is only selling coach seats at half capacity so you can have an empty seat beside you.

AND of course over the period of a LONG LONG trip, no one will ever walk past you. Or you won't have to get up and walk past someone. ETC ETC ETC OH, and wearing a mask for that long will be super comfortable.

Old Jul 9th, 2020, 05:33 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
What's the plan once she gets to Chicago? Turn in rental car and take public transportation or Uber/Lyft? Depending on where she is coming from into LGA, she might be the asymptomatic carrier that the health authorities are worried about. Check the Amtrak website and decide for yourself about the procedures that Amtrak is using to try to keep their trains and stations safe.
It will probably be November before I'm on another Amtrak train. Maybe a clear face shield would be a more comfortable choice than a mask for more than 8 hours. I do tend to pull up my blanket over my face when sleeping in Amtrak coach.
If driving, plan on using gloves of some type whenever you touch a gas pump nozzle. Carry hand sanitizer in the door pocket. Good luck with whatever choice she makes.