Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Seattle ..bridge closed to West Seattle?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How to get from downtown Seattle to West Seattle?
Obviously not from area, but planning trip in Sept.
Considering staying in AirBnB near Alki beach.
Also heard there is a"water taxi" from West Seattle to "waterfront".
Like that idea but curious where one parks car ingoing on all day excursion?
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by traveler24
How to get from downtown Seattle to West Seattle?
Obviously not from area, but planning trip in Sept.
Considering staying in AirBnB near Alki beach.
Also heard there is a"water taxi" from West Seattle to "waterfront".
Like that idea but curious where one parks car ingoing on all day excursion?
I wouldn't take such (traffic related) chances in September, when nobody knows just where the Covid mess will take us.

There has yet to be a full-brunt 'rush hour' since the Bridge was closed months ago, so nobody knows just how bad it can get.

Old Jun 6th, 2020, 02:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I'm here in Seattle on Capitol Hill. I would not take a rental in West Seattle this fall. Let us know your other options and we can chime in on more viable neighborhoods, assuming you understand things may still be limited in "opening" up.
Old Jun 6th, 2020, 08:37 PM

Even without Covid and the bridge issues, west Seattle just wouldn’t be my first pick for a tourist lodging. There are so many more convenient options. You want easy access to downtown—start with Belltown and Capitol Hill.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 05:27 AM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
The bridge and freeway closing is going to - roughly - double the distance between Alki and downtown, and probably double - at least - the time needed. Here's a map showing the current route; the closed bridge is in the middle of the map.

https://goo.gl/maps/HWiFHnDDVhA2ReMd9

The water taxi goes from a pier on Seacrest Park (on the map) to the main ferry terminal a couple of blocks south of the Pike Place market.

It's mainly a commuter service, and for the time being it's running on a very abbreviated schedule, with no weekend service at all. https://www.kingcounty.gov/depts/tra...t-seattle.aspx

I'd tend to agree that West Seattle is likely to be a less convenient location for a visitor base, which is really the case regardless of the bridge condition. But it depends on what you want to do while you're here. For daily commutes to downtown it's not the best, but if you want to use your time to, say, visit Vashon Island or cross over to the Kitsap and Olympic peninsulas, then the ferry terminal at Fauntleroy is quite convenient to stays at Alki. It all depends.
Old Jun 8th, 2020, 08:25 PM
Original Poster

Information is great...appreciate opinions.
In all honesty, my only desire is to stay somewhere safe where I can walk short distance to beach.(not to swim or surf) just sit.
My all time favorites are on Oregon Coast: Bandon, Yachats, Depot Bay & Astoria.
However, now that I am "older" a widow and moved to"eastern" Washington, I miss the coast.
Usually go to Seattle every 2-3 months. SAM, Elliott Bay
bookstore, Frye Art Museum, Symphony, Pikes are my favorites. Usually stay Queen Anne area or Lake Union.
Now with Covid 19 so tired of social distancing & very limited visits with 2 grand children, just need ocean vista.
AirBnB near Alki beach looks good. Plus my Nephew & family live in West Seattle.. So if I needed any assistance they would be available.
Since my original post Chinook Pass is open , easy for me to head for Burien to get to Alki beach.
I'll let you all know how my adventure goes.
PS It is so good to see Gardyloo posting💚
Always admired, maybe little envy, vast knowledge of PNW.
Happy Trails...

Old Jun 9th, 2020, 07:56 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oh sorry. Thanks for adding those details. I can see now why you'd want to rent in West Seattle.