Isla Mujeres - Car/Golf Cart/Taxi

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2020, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be staying on the south end of Isla Mujeres for 1-2 months.
I am contemplating bringing a rental car over on the ferry or renting a golf cart on the island for the entire time to efficiently get around.

Questions:
1) I remember renting a golf cart on my last trip and they were not cheap on a daily basis (think it was $40-$50 per day). Does anyone know the cost of a golf cart on a monthly basis? I would assume some company would offer a less expensive monthly rate? If so, any recommendations?

2) What is the cost for a taxi to go from the southern tip of the island to the northern tip?

3) would you recommend me bringing a rental car onto the ferry from Cancun?

Thanks for any tips.

Old May 16th, 2020, 08:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
My recollection is that a taxi was under $60 mxn one way, depending on where you grab one. Depending on the GAT (Gringo Added Tax). Buses are super cheap. I can't imagine bringing a rental car to the island, given the scarcity of parking. If it were me, (and it isn't) I'd start by sampling a few taxis and get a cell number for a couple of favorite drivers, and combine that with buses. I've seen weekly golf cart rentals at $300+ US, depending on the season.
Old May 17th, 2020, 05:57 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for your tips.
Old May 17th, 2020, 09:47 AM

We took a rental car over on the ferry our first trip to Isla at my late husband's insistence - never again.
First, there is only one car ferry, all others are only for passengers. It runs 5 times daily (not sure of present schedules),4 times Sundays and takes twice as long (40-45 minutes one way). Priority is given to trucks so you have to line up for a place on the ferry ahead of time.
Parking in Centro is pretty limited and Hidalgo of course is pedestrian only. We were staying at Hotel Playa Media Luna and it took them 20 minutes to clear out a parking place for us.
What you could maybe do, is take the car over and leave it parked and take taxis when going into town. I did not notice what the parking situation is mid-island at the Chedraui supermarket but I guess they have a lot of some kind.

You might want to cross post on TripAdvisor forums, as one regular poster lives full time on the island and can give more detailed advice.

Baldone, bus service was non existent on Isla Mujeres for several years and only resumed early this year.