Old Mar 19th, 2020, 06:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of California Issued "Stay at Home" Directive

Effective midnight, tonight.

https://covid19.ca.gov/stay-home-exc...sential-needs/
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 07:05 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The southbound Coast Starlight #11 is running about 1 to 1.5 hours behind schedule this morning but still running. It will be in Emeryville about 9:30AM. If you have to get to Los Angeles by 11PM, the train may be your only option.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 07:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, obviously, you can still drive to L.A... There are still seats on Southwest Airlines from Oakland, and Flixbus seems to be operating.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 09:20 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by tomfuller
The southbound Coast Starlight #11 is running about 1 to 1.5 hours behind schedule this morning but still running. It will be in Emeryville about 9:30AM. If you have to get to Los Angeles by 11PM, the train may be your only option.
Driving is 100% allowed - there are thousands of businesses still open because they have been tagged 'essential' and people are allowed to drive to any of them. I'd much rather be in a car than on a train . . .

(allowed business include everything from the obvious groceries and pharmacies to hardware stores, electronics stores, garden centers, restaurants for take out, banks, accountants/financial businesses/credit unions, and scores more)

One weird thing -- walking in parks and open spaces is fine, and actually encouraged as long as you stay away from other people and objects like drinking fountains and sporting equipment . . . but our local park district has closed the parking lots so no way to do that
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 09:40 AM

Early media reports calling this a "lockdown" have mislead people into thinking we're practically imprisoned.

janisj, I don't know how close the parks in your area are to residential neighborhoods, but here we can drive, walk or cycle anywhere we want to go. If a parking lot is closed (which we haven't encountered yet), we can park nearby and walk in. In many ways, this crazy time has been very good for those of us who love to be outside. Little traffic, lots of parking, empty trails...
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 11:57 AM

Advising people to ride Amtrak during this time when a highly contagious virus is spreading is totally stupid and irresponsible, think of a giant enclosed petri dish being shared with dozens of strangers. Might work if you can afford to hire an entire private railroad car for yourself (think Robber Baron era).

Safest is to drive, or else stay home but make sure you stock up on essentials.

Wrong thread and time for your Amtrak spamming, Tom. Get a clue.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 01:29 PM

You're only allowed to drive somewhere that provides an essential service. I am horrified that my hairdresser isn't considered essential, but I suppose these rules were set by men, However, I digress. You are not allowed to drive to a friend's house or to your vacation home in another location.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...o-stay-at-home
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 08:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Enough people decided not to stay home that the northbound Coast Starlight left Los Angeles this morning. I hope the Governor doesn't try to stop it when it reaches Sacramento about midnight. Amtrak has assured us that they are doing at least twice as much cleaning on their trains and stations as they were before. The train is a vital link between Los Angeles and Seattle and many points in between for those who do not drive.
Old Mar 20th, 2020, 09:40 PM

Amtrak may be doing great cleaning, but that doesn't mean unhealthy people won't be on board.
Old Mar 21st, 2020, 02:37 AM
J62

Amtrak may be an option for those that do not drive, but advising people that Amtrak may be the only way to get home is totally stupid and irresponsible

Wrong thread and time for your Amtrak spamming, Tom. Get a clue.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 08:49 AM

""You're only allowed to drive somewhere that provides an essential service"

Where is this rule specified for all of California.? The link you provided was about LA only, I believe. Up north in the San Francisco Bay Area, my wife & I took a 2 1/2 hour "scenic drive" yesterday. We never got out of the car, except at our garage.. One remote area with a lot of walking trails through woodlands, was mobbed with cars and people out walking & biking around. A day earlier we drove through the rugged Santa Cruz mountains, and parking lots at trail heads were full of cars.

Stu Dudley
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 10:35 AM

Yes stu. Driving is totally allowed. Even in the LA area AFAIK. The issue is if you do go somewhere and interact with people you need to disinfect the car. But me for instance -- I just got back from a spin through the foothills. No contact with anyone, definitely not ever w/i 6 feet of anyone else. But 60 minutes in the sunshine with the top down sure did a LOT for my frame of mind.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 12:09 PM

Yes, the link I posted was specifically for the city of Los Angeles. I though Jean lives in LA, but I must be mistaken.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 01:31 PM

But even that link doesn't ban other than essential driving. It lists types of businesses/errands one can drive to. But does not say anywhere that other driving isn't allowed.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 01:56 PM

I didn't say driving wasn't allowed, but that there are limited destinations you can drive to. Here's another article from today's LA Times which shows that far too many people are not really complying with the order to stay at home.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...tay-home-rules
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Barbara
I didn't say driving wasn't allowed, but that there are limited destinations you can drive to. Here's another article from today's LA Times which shows that far too many people are not really complying with the order to stay at home.

You posted "You're only allowed to drive somewhere that provides an essential service." (emphasis mine). That is what Stu and I were commenting about . . . the 'only' bit.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by janisj
You posted "You're only allowed to drive somewhere that provides an essential service." (emphasis mine). That is what Stu and I were commenting about . . . the 'only' bit.
And that's how I understand it. What is it about "stay at home" that is so hard to understand?
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 05:26 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Barbara
. . . What is it about "stay at home" that is so hard to understand?
It seems so utterly simple. How can those 3 words possibly be misunderstood?
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 05:31 PM

From the state directive as originally announced... I don't know if anything has changed.

"Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block? Walk my dog?

"Yes. So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air. Gyms are closed.

"Does this order affect hiking? State Parks?

"No, you may still go outside so long as you practice social distancing of six feet. California State Parks have closed indoor facilities and campgrounds, but trails and outdoor spaces are still open. Spending time outdoors can lead to a number of overall health and wellness benefits like lessening anxiety, boosting creativity and getting your vitamin D. If you decide to make a trip, remember to keep social distance."

We went for a drive today. Didn't stop. Didn't get out of the car. There were a LOT of people outdoors, mostly walking, jogging or cycling, slightly more than we would usually see on a Sunday in March and more than I expected to see since rain was forecast (and did arrive before we got home).

The only place I'm seeing people not abiding by the social distance rule is in the grocery store, so I briefly contemplated food delivery. After my next door neighbor returned from India, he decided to order groceries from Ralph's/Kroger's to be delivered. One week later, he thinks he might get his stuff tomorrow. So much for the delivery idea.
Old Mar 22nd, 2020, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jean
From the state directive as originally announced... I don't know if anything has changed.

"Can I still exercise? Take my kids to the park for fresh air? Take a walk around the block? Walk my dog?

"Yes. So long as you are maintaining a safe social distance of six feet from people who aren’t part of your household, it is ok to go outside for exercise, a walk or fresh air. Gyms are closed.

"Does this order affect hiking? State Parks?

"No, you may still go outside so long as you practice social distancing of six feet. California State Parks have closed indoor facilities and campgrounds, but trails and outdoor spaces are still open. Spending time outdoors can lead to a number of overall health and wellness benefits like lessening anxiety, boosting creativity and getting your vitamin D. If you decide to make a trip, remember to keep social distance."

We went for a drive today. Didn't stop. Didn't get out of the car. There were a LOT of people outdoors, mostly walking, jogging or cycling, slightly more than we would usually see on a Sunday in March and more than I expected to see since rain was forecast (and did arrive before we got home).

The only place I'm seeing people not abiding by the social distance rule is in the grocery store, so I briefly contemplated food delivery. After my next door neighbor returned from India, he decided to order groceries from Ralph's/Kroger's to be delivered. One week later, he thinks he might get his stuff tomorrow. So much for the delivery idea.

Right. My local CBS station here in San Diego showed our parks and beaches today...mobbed. So now they're closed. Stay at home. Take a walk round your neighborhood. Give people an inch and they take a mile.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -