Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Guadeloupe: Should I rent a car or just use public transport?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2020, 07:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Heading to Guadeloupe for 4 nights mainly to do day trips to the outer islands of des Saintes, Marie Galante etc. Have been only to the main island before and the last time I did rent a car and drove to beaches and the west coast etc. But it's been a while since I drove a manual so this time I was just wondering if, since all I'll be doing is boat trips to the islands, whether I'll need a car or if I can take public transport to and from the ferries. Obviously a car will be more convenient and not a big issue if I do indeed need one, but with the public bus I have to be concerned about schedules and potentially running late to miss the ferry. Plus the ferries for different island groups leave from different sides of the main island. And... getting to and from the airport. So just wondering if public transport is in fact reliable. FWIW, I'll be there a Tuesday night through Saturday afternoon, so not primarily on the weekend.
Old Jan 6th, 2020, 02:43 PM

Hi
I woulwd not trust public transportation in Guadeloupe plus I doubt they stop close to tourists. Places.
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

OK I found some Automatic cars. Little pricey, but at least I don't have to use both feet
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 12:15 PM

I was able to pre-hire a taxi from the airport to Saint Francois but other wise public transport and even taxis were hard to come by. I hired a car on Marie Galante and Basse Terre. And there are golf carts for hire in Les Saintes.