one night between Stowe, Vermont and Bar Harbor, Maine

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a New England road trip planned for early October. Our lodging is mostly booked. We'll be spending a few days in and around the White Mountains, then heading to Stowe and then over to Maine. (We know that it would have made more sense to go to Stowe first - but we made lodging arrangements we are happy with.) Does anyone have a suggestion for a town where we might make a one night stop between Stowe and Bar Harbor? Thanks!
Old Aug 23rd, 2019, 04:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bethel Maine, or maybe Bridgton Maine if Bethel lodging is already sold out.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 02:24 AM

I actually can't believe google maps that shows 3 routes between Stowe and Bar Harbor with even the most southerly route being only 30 minutes longer (but over 100 miles longer) than what is shortest/most direct. If your trip hasn't included more of VT than Stowe, I would take that southerly route which is I89 south with a slight detour to Norwich VT and stay at the Norwich Inn. Great dinner across the street but Inn is good, too. But it also depends on how much of Maine you plan to see. Fastest route is about 6 hours so you could consider just driving all the way to Bangor and adding an extra day to Maine.
If you haven't already planned on Rt 1 between Bar Harbor and Brunswick, I would take the fast route but drop south to Brunswick, a pretty college town with some good restaurants (lots of places to stay unless it's a college weekend) then take Rt 1 to Bar Harbor which takes you thru Camden which Yankee Magazine has called the prettiest place in Maine for fall foliage.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 03:24 AM

I don't know how fancy accommodation you are looking for, but we stayed at West Bethel Motel (https://westbethelmotel.com/) for one night. We paid more than advertised on the website as we booked through a third-party website. It is decent, very clean, non-musty motel. There is nothing around so you have to eat dinner before you reach there and breakfast after you leave.

You will get enough choices for dinner before you reach West Bethel, ME. Can't say about breakfast as we turned back the next morning.

Last edited by D0cHudson; Aug 24th, 2019 at 03:28 AM.
Old Aug 24th, 2019, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions - thank you! We will check out all the options in your helpful posts.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 06:21 AM

I agree with dfrost's post that stopping around Norwich VT could be a good option even though it is not far on your way toward Bar Harbor.
I am not sure how you will get to Stowe from the White Mountains but am assuming probably by going across Route 2 in VT. If so, several of the routes to Bar Harbor would involve retracing part of that route, so dipping farther south might make sense.

The first week in October is usually peak foliage season in northern VT. Route 2 from St. Johnsbury to Montpelier is a very nice ride and worth doing on the way to or from Stowe. You won't see as much color along the Maine coast.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 07:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you VTtraveler! I really appreciate your advice. We are now thinking of shaking plans up just a bit - found some lodging that will work it seems.
Old Aug 25th, 2019, 09:38 AM

This map gives an idea of where in New England foliage usually peaks at different dates in the fall. When you are actually in an area you should be able to find updates on the best areas for "leaf peeping."
https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/...l-foliage-map/

I think where you should go depends on what you most want to see. For foliage I would go to VT or NH but the Maine coast has beautiful scenery, too.

If you are in northeastern VT between September 29 and October 5 this is a fun festival held in different small towns
NEKFFF%202019.pdf