Montreal & Quebec City Restaurant Suggestions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15th, 2019, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts

As our trip is coming up in a couple of months, my mind turns to food. Suggestions in both cities appreciated no matter what the price range. Merci.

Old Jul 16th, 2019, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will post later today Tom
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 02:00 AM

I'll start by posting this list - it's pretty accurate for our tastes - and then I'll annotate it with the ones we've been to

https://www.timeout.com/montreal/res...ts-in-montreal
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 02:01 AM

Some restaurants book up well in advance (Joe Beef/et al in particular). I used this app for last minute, same day reservations last July. Had pretty good luck

https://getdinr.com/
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 05:37 AM
J62

We recently visited Montreal and stayed in Chinatown area. The one meal we really enjoyed was at Orange Rouge, which is on the list Elizabeth posted.
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I have not eaten there, but my daughter and brother practically live there:
https://www.restaurantlaselva.com/?lang=en

MontrealGazette always had great restaurant reviewers.

https://montrealgazette.com/life/food/local-food-reviews/lesley-chestermans-favourite-new-montreal-area-restaurants-of-2018
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. appreciate it.
Old Jul 18th, 2019, 10:03 AM

My husband and I just got back last week from visiting both cities. We had dinner in Montreal at Molivos, Garde Manger, and Manitoba. All three were excellent! Garde Manger and Manitoba were higher end, while Molivos was more casual. We had smoked meat at Dunn's on the recommendation of the waiter at Molivos. I have not been to Schwartz's so can't say anything on it, but he said it was dry. We loved Dunn's! (also not nearly as crowded as I hear Schwartz's is) In Quebec City, we ate at Belga (good but out of several dishes the night we were there), Ophelia (excellent), Chez Boulay (OMG, so good, and very different!), and Graffiti (very good -- no your typical Italian -- more of an Italian/French/Canadian amalgam). I also suggest if you've not already planned it, to rent a car and go over to Montmorency Falls in the morning and then spend the afternoon driving around Ile d'Orleans -- lovely art galleries, cafes, wineries, fromageries, and all sorts of farms.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 01:08 AM

English breakfast at Lawrence was excellent. My first poutine was at La Banquise, I was very skeptical about trying it but their classic completely won me over, delicious. Portuguese seafood at Cafe Ferreira. Loved the simple, hearty fare at Stash Cafe in Old Montreal. Coffee and pastries at Olive et Gourmando. Lots of great places in Montreal.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

You guys are great. Keep em coming. I',m starting my eight week vacation diet tomorrow. I figure since I tried Haggis in Scotland, I have to try Poutine. That's what the Expando belt was invented for.
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 05:18 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Excited to find this thread as we are heading up to Montreal soon. These suggestions will be so helpful as we haven’t been there in years. Thanks to all who posted!
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 06:34 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
" I have not been to Schwartz's so can't say anything on it, but he said it was dry. "
Smoked meat comes in lean, medium fat , or fat, connoisseurs usually order a medium to avoid the dryness.

Across the street from Schwartz is the Main Deli, they actually serve a smoked meat poutine and are a better choice than Schwartz anyway.

Not too far is Wilenskys lunch counter, it has not changed much since 1932 and still looks the same as it did in the movie version of "The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz"

https://www.viator.com/en-CA/tours/M...r/d625-14992P1
Old Jul 23rd, 2019, 10:47 PM

https://www.restoquebec.ca/?lang=en

https://www.restomontreal.ca/?lang=en

These sites locate restaurants by vicinity and style of cuisine. They sort places that allow BYO wine (usually with no corkage fee -- it's AVV in French). They can help with reservations and provide some reader feedback.

I also find Google Maps helpful to find restaurants in an area, with links provided, although less useful for grading quality.
Old Jul 24th, 2019, 08:36 AM

Hi maitaitom

I checked the list Elizabeth provided and was
surprised that #1 place where I go for a quality meal didn’t make the list. La Récolte, up in the Jean Talon Market area is exceptional. Everything is Québécois there, locally-sourced, in-season and delicious. It’s a place that only has a few items on the menu though. But whatever they do have, you know will be great. Their brunch is divine. And for the quality you get, it’s not so expensive.

Of that list, I really like Quartier Général, similar in some ways to la Récolte. You get a sense of a
pride in more upper-end Quebec cuisine (as opposed to Quebec comfort food like poutine, cretons or pea soup) with a certain specialization in game. Not too pricey either.

I actually prefer Poutineville over Banquise if I’m in the (naughty) mood for a poutine. Maybe it’s because I *love* the so-called frites écrasées. Banquise was fine though but I’ll only go at non-peak times due to sometimes obscene lineups.

Have fun. Montréal is a city with some great dining options (and some bad ones, too, so shop around!)! Elizabeth’s list is a good place to start—I live in Montreal and have only been to maybe a dozen
of them!

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

La Récolte looks fantastic. Thanks.
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 02:35 PM

Clarification please Daniel W, is La Recolte a grocery market or a restaurant? We shall only be in Quebec City in early October, so too are looking for restaurant recommendations. Thanks-
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 08:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
In QC, Le Continental is a very nice restaurant. We had most of our meal prepared table side, Cesar salad, duck alorange and cherries jubilee. Food was delicious!
Bello was a good Italian restaurant.
Old Jul 31st, 2019, 09:24 AM

Hi aliced

La Récolte is a restaurant.

D. Williams
Old Aug 1st, 2019, 04:56 AM

Eliz: Is Joe Beef worth a trip from another city? NYTimes just did a big article on the owners.......
Old Aug 3rd, 2019, 04:45 AM

Just came back from Quebec. Highly recommend Ches Rioux and Pettigrew (only about an eight minute walk from where you are staying). We liked it so much we went there twice. Have the tasting menu. It is a "surprise" and they don't tell you what is in it, but it was out of this world! Best lamb we have ever eaten was on our menu. They also have excellent octopus.

I second going out to Ile d'Orleans. It is a beautiful island to drive around and enjoy the view. Have lunch at Panache Mobile, which is a food truck located at a beautiful winery called Vignoble de Sainte Petronille. They call it a food truck but it is served like a restaurant with beautiful views over the vineyard. You can get wine from the vineyard to have with your lunch. There is also a chocolate store near there that has amazing chocolates and chocolate dipped ice cream! Yummy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -