4 1/2 days in Iceland

Search

4 1/2 days in Iceland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 1/2 days in Iceland

Hello! We just booked our flights today for a last minute trip arriving on July 19th. We will only have about 4 1/2 days. I'm finding longer trip reports so I'm not sure what I should cut out. Not finding what we should do when we arrive so early in the morning. We arrive at 6am. I haven't booked hotels yet since I"m not sure where we are going! I want to see what I can't see at home so minimal time in Reykjavik.

Any links to shorter itineraries would be most appreciated. I've seen a snowmobiling excursion which looks fun for sure.

Kind regards!
Old Jun 28th, 2019, 09:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I did a great snowmobiling tour and it was an all day trip including the Golden Circle. https://adventures.is/iceland/day-to...-snowmobiling/
Great hotel located right in the city The Canopy Hilton. I really enjoyed our stay there. You can walk all over the city. I would definitely recommend staying in Reyjavik. We drove all over and the other "towns" are not much of a town for staying and dining purposes. I would stay in town and take a couple of tours or one tour and one day rent a car and just drive. It is sort of wild and open country out there. The city has lots of great restaurants and people walking around. It is daylight till midnight and then at 3am, the sun will come up again. If you rent a car at the end of your trip, you can plan to stop at the Blue Lagoon on your way to the airport. It is a fun sort of giant hot spring, hot tub.
Enjoy!
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 01:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply, Girlonthego! Did you make it to the Jokulsarion Lagoon and Diamond Beach while you were there? I want to go that far but am concerned about the 6 hour drive home on the day before our flight! The tour does look great!!
Old Jul 16th, 2019, 05:08 PM

Jokulsarlon is breathtaking, as is Diamond Beach where the ice chunks break up and wash back on shore once they float out of the lagoon and into the Atlantic. I did it as an overnight tour which stopped at Seljanfoss and Skogafoss waterfalls the previous day. Only you cannot decide if that’s worth two days of your 4 1/2. If you try to do Jokulsarlon in one day, I know some tour companies offer it as a VERY long day trip (14-16 hours). If you choose to do it as a day trip, I’d do a tour and leave all of that driving to them.
Old Jul 20th, 2019, 10:47 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
No we drove south on our own as far as Vik and the black sand beach and then headed north again. Along the way, we did a dog sledding thing and stopped at some waterfalls. Another day, we drove north quite a ways through a long tunnel. There wasn't much out there as far as towns. The landscape was so raw and unique.
The glacier tour took us through the Golden Circle and then I don't remember where to the glacier. It was an all day trip and we all slept on the way home. The supertruck we went in, went off road for a while. The driver had to get out and inflate and deflate the tires to get up to the glaciers.
When you are driving, it will tell you the temperatures of the main roads. Watch out for photo speed traps, especially in the long tunnel we drove through. I believe you must pay your speeding tickets prior to boarding your flight home. I was fortunate not to get one
Enjoy!!