Thailand Itinerary July

Old Jun 26th, 2019, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thailand Itinerary July

I have about 15 days in Thailand with the kids (11 and 7). Initially I was thinking to spend 4 days in Bangkok and then head to the beach (2 out of Koh Samui, Koh Phangan, Koh Tao). Now I am thinking that maybe worth visiting the north as well (Chiang Mai) and then split the trip 3 ways (Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Beach).
Beach options seem to be limited because of the time of the year, but flying to Samui gets crazy expensive if I need to fly from Chiang Mai and then return to BKK for flight back. (even round trip from BKK is expensive)
Any ideas of other beaches we can go this time of the year? Is Phuket an option? I would rather avoid crazy busy beaches like main beach in Samui and I assume main beaches in Phuket.
Any other advice regarding our schedule?
Thank you!
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 12:44 PM

For a beach, you could go to Hua Hin. I understand it has gotten busier since I was last there a few years ago, but it should still be fine. There are a number of very nice hotels in/near Hua Hin.
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

I heard very mixed reviews on Hua Hin. While there are nice hotels the beach is only so so. Any other ideas?
Old Jun 26th, 2019, 10:33 PM

Assuming that good weather as well as decent beaches is important to you, then the Andaman cost - Phuket, Khao Lak is possibly best avoided. Rain is likely as are rough seas., esp. if travelling in the latter half of the month. The Gulf coast KS (busy), Koh Tao (great diving but the beaches are not the best). Koh Phangnan is best avoided anywhere around full moon because of the parties. as you have discovered, all of this islands are expensive to get to, partly because of teh monopoly on flights to KS + the time of year + you have left it too late)

CM will also have similar weather patterns and I have been there when it has flooded at that time of year. That, if you don’t mind the rain it is also a nice time to get out into the countryside as it is green, the water falls are in full flow.

It sounds counter intuitive but in terms of both costs and weather I would consider spending a few days in Bangkok and then heading to either Borneo - nice beaches, jungles, wildlife etc. or East Coast Malaysia - again nice beaches. Great weather in both this locations. Alternatively, Bali is an option.

I would spend some time with kayak or the Air Asia websites to see what the flight options might be available.

Hua Hin along with Cha Am has indeed got much busier. I first visited 30 years ago when it was great. we returned about 5 years ago and the place had become overrun with package tours etc. and really was pretty tacky. Not the best beaches either. That said, for a much quieter place with reasonable beaches take a look at Khao Sam Roi Yot National Park
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 10:42 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for the recommendation. Bali seems like a great option. Where in Malaysia would you go? Where do you flight to?

Bali is almost same price as flying to Samui. Crazy....
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 11:51 AM

It depends upon what you want to do and see but I would probably head for Kuching or Kota Kinabalu - flights with Air Asia should be reasonable but you may have to fly via KL. you should get return flights for $120-150

I would spend a couple of days in either of those to cities and depending on which city add some side trips caves, beaches, jungle etc. depending on your (or probably more importantly, the kids interests). It is more of an adventure holiday but there are some nice beaches and hotels. some info on our time there in various places in Malaysia on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/category/malaysia/

Not sure why Bali flights are expensive, probably a combination of short notice and high season there.

Last edited by crellston; Jun 27th, 2019 at 11:56 AM.
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much. I meant to say that flight to Bali are great. Same price (or cheaper) than going to Samui but 4x times the length. Very tempted with Bali. Never been and I have been told that it is great. Any recommendations on Bali?

I went to Samui several years ago and it was just OK. Nice beach but very busy and noisy (vendors, jetskis, the works)....not my idea of a relaxing vacation. I went to main beach so I guess my mistake.

Thanks again for all your help.
Old Jun 27th, 2019, 08:40 PM

You are very welcome. I hesitate to give advice on Bali as it is many years since I have visited there. The last time was 3 years ago but we only visited Ubud in the centre far away from the coast.

Marmot a regular on this forum is resident in Bali and knows pretty much all there is to know about the island. She may not see this post as it is tagged Thailand so, as you are short on time, I would suggest you post another question tagged Indonesia’s and/or send her a personal message.
Old Jun 29th, 2019, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

After much discussion with the wife we decided that it would be a shame to make it to Thailand and not take the kids for more than a beach vacation. So planning a trip to the north. Chiang Mai....maybe Char Rai or Pai. Other ideas? How bad is the weather in July?

I went over 10 years ago and had very bad luck with the weather. Long story short, they took us out of the hotel in army trucks as the city flooded (it was an adventure in itself). Any chance we can have reasonable weather and have a nice time (a little of rain is not going to kill me), or will it be raining not stop?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 19th, 2019, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

We decided to stay in Thailand and have been lucky with the weather. Writing from Chiang rai where it has been hot and dry.
Weather in Phuket looks good for next week so thinking like it might be a good last stop before leaving Thailand.
Any hotels that you would recommend that are family friendly?
Frommer’s reccomends the Hilton Arcadia. I usually stay at Marriott properties. That said just discovered a Kathatani property in Chiang rai and loving it.
thanks!
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 01:32 PM

HiJacking your post

Hi there we have just randomly booked flights fir August 2020 to Thailand
we aare taking out adult children early 20s who will want some nightlife
Is ko Samui the only option for good weather?
feeling we’ve rather rushed into it without checking it out properly first
we would like some wildlife
thi king of doing air b &ZB as we like the villa lifestyle
many ideas vvv welcome
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 03:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
londonbug: >>HiJacking your post<<.

-- Maybe better to start a thread of your own with your specific questions.
Old Nov 10th, 2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by londonbug
Hi there we have just randomly booked flights fir August 2020 to Thailand
we aare taking out adult children early 20s who will want some nightlife
Is ko Samui the only option for good weather?
feeling we’ve rather rushed into it without checking it out properly first
we would like some wildlife
thi king of doing air b &ZB as we like the villa lifestyle
many ideas vvv welcome
Samui in August is no garaguaranteentee of no rain. Like most of the country it is the normal wet season .... Samui has a second wet season around November to December.... sometimes a bit earlier.