Vermont/New Hampshire

Search

Vermont/New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 04:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vermont/New Hampshire

My husband and I will be vacationing in Vermont and New Hampshire in early August. We will bee driving up from NJ through Bennington and staying 2 nights in Manchester. Hoping to see some of Southern Vermont then driving up to Waterbury Center for another 2 nights. Hoping to take in Stowe, the Von Trapp resort, Burlington and Lake Champlain while there. Next we are driving to New Hampshire. We will be staying in Lincoln for 2 nights and hoping to see the best of the White Mountains. Last stop is Portsmouth for 2 nights.
We love nature, history, easy hiking and good food. I do like to stop, but not malls (have plenty of those in NJ). We like antiques, art galleries, crafts and unique stores.
Would appreciate any and all suggestions on what to see and do and where to eat and drink.
I am so excited to finally see these two states!
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 12:20 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Manchester- Hildene, home of Robert Todd Lincoln, beautiful setting and home.
Dining- The Perfect Wife, The Copper Grouse, Bistro Henry. Lunch- Little Rooster Cafe, Breakfast-Up for Breakfast. Nearby Dorset- The Inn at West View Farm-Asian, Barrows House.
Stowe- Von Trapp Bierhall, Idyletyme, Sometimes you can eat at Von Trapp Losge but often it is restricted to Inn guests only. Bierhall is open to the public. Waterbury-Hen of the Wood, Prohibition Pig.
Burlington-
Ethan Allen Homestead.
The Waterfront Park- biking and walking paths are wonderful! Municipal Sailing Center with rentals is on the path.
Church Street is pedestrian only and the location of several of the restaurants listed below. Look inside Frog Hollow Store for Vermont artists and craftsmen’s works for sale. You may see Bernie Sanders walking to his office on Church Street.
Restaurants: Book ahead! Hen of the Wood,Honey Road, Great Northern, Farmhouse, A Single Pebble( excellent Chinese)) , Bleu, Bistrot de Margot, Istanbul Kebab House, American Flatbread, Pizzeria Veritas, Trattoria Delia, Henry’s Diner, Gaku Ramen, Mirabelle’s Cafe and Bakery. And if you love Vietnamese food, do not miss Pho Hong!
Shelbourne-Rustic Roots
As you drive around Vermont, you will see signs for Maple Creemees. Make sure you try one! A soft serve maple flavored cone.

Last edited by HappyTrvlr; Jun 22nd, 2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old Jun 22nd, 2019, 12:45 PM

Check the dates for the annual NH League of Arts and Crafts Fair at Sunapee, NH. Runs about 10 days and is super high quality work. The League has shops in several different towns if you don't attend the fair. Current issue of Yankee Magazine has good article about Burlington. I have not been to the Burlington farmers market but love the one in Norwich VT on Saturdays.
Last year I was surprised at how much time we spent at The Flume visitors center. Have walked the Flume before but last year didn't have time. Had lunch recently at Cold Mountain Cafe in Bethlehem and would like to go back. Liked the brewery in Woodstock NH but later friends raved about Gypsy Cafe in Lincoln. I'm not a fan of the White Mountains despite living in NH. My favorite area is Squam, Sandwich, Tamworth. Even if you aren't a drinker, the new distillery in Tamworth is fascinating. Like the Corner House in Center Sandwich. Highly recommend a cruise on Squam lake to see loons. Check the schedule at the Squam Lakes Science Center. Don't hesitate. It's a small pontoon boat with a naturalist so they don't take a lot of people.
If you drive south on I93 you can take exit (18, I think) for Canterbury Shaker Village. The tours are great. Nice gift shop and incredible woodwork in the bathrooms. From there, head to Rt 106 and then Rt 4 to go east to Portsmouth. This is the prettiest approach to Portsmouth and takes you thru Northwood's Antique Alley. You might want to stop at Piece Time Puzzles. Wagon Hill Farm is open to the public for hiking. It looks pretty enough from the road but what you don't know is that one trail leads to the water. You can do a loop. I liked one of the restaurants overlooking Portsmouth Harbor. There's about 4 in a row that share a rear deck. Just pick the one with the menu you like and go when it's not busy so you can either eat on the deck or get a window seat.
Drive Rt 1B from Prescott Park/Strawbery Banke area out to Rye. Lovely drive and you get to go past the fabulously restored historic Wentworth by the Sea. You can walk around Odiorne Point to see old WW2 bunker or walk Rye or Hampton Beach. We like the fried seafood and lobster rolls at Petey's in Rye.

You might want to return south via Rt 101 to Keene NH and then I91 thru western MA. You won't see much traffic going south to CT except around Hartford.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for all the great info!
Old Jul 3rd, 2019, 01:08 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Manchester, VT- The Perfect Wife has closed.