NOLITA/LITTLE ITALY FAVORITE EATING PLACES...tips from a local

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26th, 2019, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always like to share my local favorites.

So far in the last week plus since I returned home, we've re-visited BABBO, which is akin to our neighborhood Italian place even though it's not actually in our neighborhood. Long and broad menu; there is no octopus in the city that is better than the one they serve. Branzino, although farmed like every other branzino served in NYC, is superb with the lemon/oregano confiture. (I make an exception here to my practice of avoiding farm-raised fish). Soft shell crab, spaghetti with ramps, and a nettle pasta are among the specials this week.
Must look for nettles in the greenmarket; so far I've not seen them but ramps are piled very high.

PASQUALE JONES is known for their clam pizza but should be better known for their vegetable dishes, especially the leeks and for a few short weeks in spring, their vignarola. Anything from the wood-burning oven is bound to be worth the pain of getting a reservation. Check includes service. Prices on the high side.

WAYAN..I've had only one meal here but the Indonesian dishes served up by Cedric Vongerichten of Perry Street fame (and we sampled many!) convinced me to book a few more dinners here. The pork ribs were a tad dry but I'd order them again, they were that tasty. Pea campur is a must, as are the Jimbaran Clams...the clams are worth the trip alone!!!! Very friendly service, too. Two of us, with three glasses cava/wine paid $130 and change before tip but with tax.

Upcoming this week, are two well-reviewed restaurants in Queens: ADDA (Long Island City) and TAVERNA KOS (Ditmars area of Astoria; no reservations weekends) along with VIC'S on Great Jones near Bowery.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Apr 26th, 2019 at 11:29 AM.
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 12:36 PM
Original Poster

Hi!!

Can editors tag this "New York"?? I think I forgot......on the off chance anyone wants to read it..
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 07:47 PM

Thanks Eks
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

UPDATE:

ADDA in Long Island City is the best Indian restaurant I've ever visited in the US. Worth the walk from East Side Manhattan, and easy subway and bus access, too. Giant rave about this place. Food is very spicy as it should be. do not go if you cannot tolerate heat as in spice-laden. One of the few take-away meals that I did not have to add hot sauce to my dishes.

Made many local lists of "best new restaurants": of the past year. I would agree, in folds. Do go, even if you do have to walk across the Bridge. If you take out, as I did, or even if you do not, do notmiss the mango lassi and the nan with Amul cheese.

Adda | New York Magazine | The Thousand Best

TAVENA KOS in Astoria near Ditmars Blvd. Pork sausages were extremely excellent; you can buy them at the butcher in Agora Plaza in Astoria (I asked the super friendly waiter). Apart from those, rest of the dinner was forgettable. Soft shell crabs (three, good sized) had far too much garlic and too little salt. We ordered many, many dishes. Feta was excellelnt, smothered with oregano. Super!!

Lovely staff but I was not able to order and thus was not pleased with many of the dishes as they were just not to my taste,. Our dining companion did the ordering as he had been before; I would have ordered different items so perhaps I might have been more happy with those selections. Again, lovely staff. Cash only, Limited wine offerings ("red or white"). We like these friends so much that the dinner was great despite lack of great dishes. Would certainly give this a second chance over Taverna Kyclades; fellow diners were all speaking Greek; this is in a Greek social club on a corner in a residential area. Certainly much more :authentic" than many of the more well-known Greek spots in the area. Dinner $125 per couple (cash only) with wine and far too much food, with lots to take home.

Pancoan Society Hippocrates Taverna Kos | Eat the World NYC

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jun 15th, 2019 at 02:54 PM.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 07:57 PM

Try the grilled octopus at Taverna Kyclades.
Old Jun 15th, 2019, 11:50 PM

Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by IMDonehere
Try the grilled octopus at Taverna Kyclades.
That's one of my favorites! A local friend took me there in October 2016, specifically for the octopus. Fabulous!
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 07:21 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Thanks, Eks. Taverna Kos looks wonderful.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by starrs
That's one of my favorites! A local friend took me there in October 2016, specifically for the octopus. Fabulous!
I am glad you enjoyed it. It is wonderful place, and they serve portions that are very un-Manhattan, as they come out of Queens.

Next time you are in the neighborhood try Madame Vo the original. I have not been to her BBQ place yet, but I would be shocked if it wasn't good.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 02:29 PM

ekscrunchy and other NY’rs, by any chance have you tried Rossini’s on 38th between Park and Lexington? It’s an easy walk from where we’re staying, looks kind of tucked away and interesting for Italian. Thanks.
Old Jun 17th, 2019, 07:18 PM

Never eaten there. Take a look at I Trulli
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 04:45 AM
Original Poster

I've not been to the MADAME VO BBQ place (seems very pricey) but I LOVE the original one....I always get the short rib ($5 extra) with their pho....that is almost as good as Second Avenue chicken in the pot if you are sick in the winter! And less money!

Why, oh why, do I live in a neighborhood where I have to take a bus or Via to eat good food outside of my own kitchen? Those M15 bus drivers should know my name by now!

Same area, I liked HUNAN SLURP.

https://www.hunanslurp.com/menu

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Jun 18th, 2019 at 04:47 AM.
Old Jun 18th, 2019, 05:34 AM

We will have to try Hunan Slurp. There are certain names that do not translate well
Old Oct 8th, 2019, 07:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for this!

Love your food reports.

Thin,aristocrat 🍕
Old Oct 11th, 2019, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Thinaster, we all love you. too. Thank you!!!
Old Oct 21st, 2019, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My friend and I are having lunch at Buvette on Wednesday, October 23.

Thin 🥧
Old Nov 21st, 2019, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Another one where I've been to a couple of times and will return next week:

WAYAN, on Spring Street just north of "Little Italy." It's owned/operated by Jean Georges' son, Cedric and his wife, who is from Indonesia; Cedric grew up in SE Asia, too, and is, or was, the chef at Perry Street.

I'd say it is moderate-ish; lunch yesterday (lunch menu is short) cost two of us about $62 including tax and tip of about $20. We each had one dish and no drinks but sparkling water, which they must have charged us for. But the pork satay bowl ($18, I think) was really, really good and a hearty portion. They also have lots of fish, and also veg options. Dinner menu much longer. It's a small place, close to the 6 train stop. I'd say it is not strictly Indonesian, but reworks familiar Indonesian dishes with style and possible European influence. Next week we booked thte chef's table, really a counter facing the kitchen. Oh, dear, I see that I wrote about Wayan upthread, but I will leave this cause it is about lunch, and is months more recent.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/23/d...nt-review.html

https://www.wayan-nyc.com

Also ..(no idea why this is typing blue color and with underlining), there is a new-ish food court at 265 Canal Street in Chinatown; I had lunch at Joe's Steam Rice Roll, where you order at the counter, then take your plate (when they calll your number) to a communal table nearby. For $9, the two special rice rolls were terrific and very filling. Lots of flavor combos and add ons--the regular rolls are $7. Granted, a lot more than the street vendors or old-school restaurants, but here is was spanking clean, as were the rest rooms, PArt ofo the mall is clothes and trinkets and home goods and the other half has food stalls. MUCH more upscale than the older malls in flushing. REcommend!!

https://www.steamriceroll.com

https://canalstreet.market

Also, there are what seems like hundreds of touts offering fake handbags and watches all along Canal...much more than I'd ever seen.

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Nov 21st, 2019 at 03:13 PM.
Old Nov 30th, 2019, 06:57 AM
Original Poster

Also had another dinner at WAYAN. This time I ordered the lobster noodle dish, a favorite of "critics." Very good, with superb springy noodles and ample lobster chunks. Chef Cedric Vongerichten is ever-present, a multi-tasker if I've ever seen one. We sat at the chef's counter and he stood right in front of us, tasting, and critiquing the food before plating. Service is excellent and, because our dishes came out staggered, he sent us a complimentary corn fritter, which I think is a MUST!! (It comes with the satay at lunch).

Strayiing far from Nolita, I had a weekend dinner at THE FULTON, Jean Georges' new-ish seafood place, in South Street Seaport. It's a bit big and noisy for my taste, but food was very good and it would be a great lunch spot for someone visiting the South Street area or the financial district. Not cheap but not as pricey as you might think. Exception is the black bass for two, encased in a fanciful pastry crust. We shared that (surprisngly,, the black bass, which is known around here as a "fisherman's fish, since the general public might not be too familiar with it but to fisherman, the bass (black, not striped) is prized. Another "fisherman's fish" is blackfish, which is on very very few local menus (CRAFT often has it, in season) but is terrific due to the fact that they feed on sweet shrimp and other sweet critters. The pastry-crusted bass was excellent and I was shocked to learn that it was farmed bass, from either NY or Conn, I forget. Service is excellent. We began with one winter salad (radicchio, frisee, etc) and one hamachi crudo; both were good but not raves. Pricing was fair, less than I had imagined, with the exception of the bass in pastry.

https://www.thefulton.nyc

WAy out of the area, also had dinner at ODA HOUSE, a branch of the Georgian EV restaurant. Some of the friendliest seervice I've ever had.
Will write details whenn I have more time..
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 05:56 AM
Original Poster

OUTSIDE NOLITA AND LITTLE ITALY:

Had a second dinner at THE FULTON last night: Maine oysters, kale and lettuce salad,, and their version of fish and chips, which was flounder in a shatterable greasless crust, served with mushy peans and saffron aioli. All excellent! Nice selection of wines by the glass and excellent cocktails including the Pear-tini which I loved.

The view from the window tables at night is smashing!! In that sense, this restaurant is a Manhattan version of Brooklyn's River Cafe, with much more welcoming prices. The restaurant is at the end of a pier jutting into the East River and there is an art installation flooating on the water outside. The skyline of Brooklyn, and the Bridges, and the lights illuminating the currents in the river--all make for a scene worthy of a million photos. There is outdoor seating for temperate seasons. Service is excellent and if you skip the bass en croute, prices are reasonable considering that this is a Jean Georges restaurant with what must be one of the best views of any restaurant in the City.

There is a Select bus stop (M15) a couple of blocks away, for very easy access to East Side of Manhattan, and also a nearby subway stop.
It's also an easy walk from Chinatown; I did some shopping there and then walked south to the Piers and dinner. The architecture around there is stellar, and there are some interesting shops (One Corso Como sells tons of trendy items, luxury candles,, and clothes from cutting edge designers) and at least two prime ice cream shops: Big Gay Ice Cream and Van Leeuwens.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 08:42 AM
Original Poster

Once again, wrote many paragraphs and these were interrupted by the Norton Anti-Virus Scam...

So, one more try:

Not in the area delineated by the title, I had lunch yesterday at FRENCHETTE, winner of several "best new restaurant' awards,in Soho just south of Canal Street.

When I am still thinking about the place the next day, I know I want to return..

Mut say, quite noisy...molre to come if I manage to get through these Norton anti-virus interruptions...

Meantime, this is the lunch menu; one car order the day's special as an a la carte, as we did with the cuck confit...

Lunch_11_25_19.pdf

Will stop now to make sure at least this part gets posted, and will return to report on the excellent dishes I shared with one friend....

Last edited by ekscrunchy; Dec 12th, 2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old Dec 12th, 2019, 07:15 PM

We had Thanksgiving dinner at EMPORIO on Mott - was great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -