Search

Greece or Fiji Honeymoon - early October

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2019, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Greece or Fiji Honeymoon - early October

Hi All,

We are going on our honeymoon Sept 30-October 9, flying out of Los Angeles.
We are really torn between Fiji or Greece!

We want to relax, have beautiful scenery, and enjoy a few activities. We have never been to either and are wondering what input anyone can offer?

Thanks!
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 02:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I have only been to three of the Greek Islands. We went in late May 2017/early June. The islands were not very crowded when we went. The islands will be quiet in late Sept/early Oct. We flew into Mykonos and then took the ferry to Paros and then Santorini. Santorini in my opinon has the" wow" views.
The Greek islands are nice, people are very friendly and food is great and cheap. You can dine expensively and you can also dine cheaply. We did both. All of our meals were great except one on the entire trip. I don' t like fish, but I ate fish almost every night in Greece. It was all freshly caught and was delicious. The hotels can be expensive if you want to stay in the nicer ones for your honeymoon. Santorini was very expensive. We stayed in a small hotel, only 8 rooms and paid a LOT to sleep in a cave like the Flintstones, but the view could not be beat and we were literally hanging from the cliffs. Sitting in the infinity pool at the hotel sipping a drink while looking out off the cliffs, well that was Santorini!
We found the beaches on all three islands that we went to weren't all that great, which surprised me. I have seen much nicer beaches elsewhere. We rented a quad bike on all three islands and drove all over, stopping in small towns, shopping a little, and sitting on random beaches. We enjoyed our time very much. It is relaxing.
Mykonos has the nightlife, but probably not in late Sept/early Oct. It will be much quieter. I am not sure if everything will start closing down for the season? We stayed in the beach area on Mykonos and not in the main town. We liked it and I can't imagine when it is packed because the beaches were pretty chair to chair when we were there in May. I think I would not like it in when it was in full swing. Paros was very quiet, and a little too quiet for me.
Crete was another island that I was thinking of going to with my adult children. It is a larger island with I think more going on year round or at least in the shoulder seasons. I had been looking at the different towns and thought it looked very nice.
So, it really depends on what you want.
I am assuming Fiji would have nicer beaches? If that is what you are looking for. Also, Fiji will have large scale luxury resorts if you are looking for that kind of vacation. Most places we stayed in or saw in Greece, were smaller scale resorts. There are no Marriotts or Ritz Carltons there. But we liked the smaller hotels and resorts we stayed at. Everyone knows who you are when you came in for the day.
Anyway, I hope this helps. We were a couple celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary in Greece. We did see lots of honeymoon couples traveling in the same hotels and such. Good luck!
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 08:10 PM

October weather on the islands is a bit unpredictable, whereas Fiji will definitely be warm and tropical. They're really such different environments you'll have to decide what you prefer.
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 01:26 PM

My gardner is from Figi. Just the other day I asked when was the best time to fo to Figi-He said June/July for less rain.
We have pretty much gone to Greece in September & it is always perfect
Just a thought
Old Apr 28th, 2019, 10:42 PM

You have only about a week after subtracting travel time to/from your destination. If you go to Greece you will first have to fly to Athens, which is a fine destination on its own. To get from Athens to the islands will cost you further travel time.

My suggestion: Fiji for beaches, Greece for history and ancient sites. What are your interests?