Zion NP to Escalante to Vegas Airport

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are flying into Vegas and plan on immediately driving to Zion NP. Thinking we would stay there 4 nights, taking a red eye home on the 5th...very late. We were going to make Bryce a day trip from our Zion location but the more I read the more I am thinking we want to also see the Petrified Forest.
Given that, we would cancel our 4th night in Zion and stay somewhere between Bryce and Escalante ......
Question: Do you think that's a good idea and does anyone know the best place to stay so we can visit Escalante before driving back the 5 hours or so to the Vegas airport.
Is the Petrified Forrest a to-die-for experience? We have never been to a petrified forest so thinking a Bucket List hike.
I have read we should be able to see Bryce in only a couple of hours so we would then head south to Escalante .
I should mention we no longer do hard hikes or tolerate high elevations while hiking. We live at sea level but are very adventurous.
ANY suggestion are greatly appreciated.
Ellen
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:15 PM
J62

No, Petrified forest is neither a "to-die-for" experience nor anywhere near where you will be on this trip.

As for hikes:
Zion. You can do any of the easy walks.
Emerald pools, Weeping garden, and take the paved path to the start of the narrows. You should also see if you can do this harder hike - up to Scouts Lookout, on the approach to Angels Landing. It is probably listed as a hard/strenuous hike as it involves a lot of vertical gain, but I think the views down into the valley from Scouts lookout make the effort worthwhile

Bryce.
Queens Garden/Navajo Loop hike is moderate and takes you right down among the hoodos. If you can do that one it's well worth it. Otherwise you'll be limiting yourself to short walks along the rim of the canyon (amphitheater). Still amazing views, but getting down into the canyon is worth it.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:26 PM

Just in case you have a mental image that the Petrified Forest looks like a forest - it doesn't. At all. And it's not really scenic, especially as compared to Zion or Bryce. If you use your imagination, you can imagine giant logs buried until the low rolling hills, like they were washed up into piles and covered with earth. And occasionally there are some fallen log parts viewable. We went on a couple of ranger walks there and found it fascinating, even though the landscape is a little desolate. But it's nowhere near where you'd be. And it's certainly not a to-die-for experience.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the info!
Yes, I have seen pictures of the Petrified Forest.
In looking at a map , if we leave Bryce and then head back to Vegas airport, can you suggest anywhere in between that would be worth experiencing and where we could stay?
TYVM!
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 01:15 PM

Petrified Forest is only an hour from Bryce so it isn't that far away. I have to assume you are talking about Escalante Petrified Forest State Park and not the more famous Petrified Forest National Park in Arizona (that one is nowhere near Bryce).
https://utah.com/escalante-state-park

I think you could easily visit the Escalante petrified forest if you stay overnight at Bryce (Bryce is fantastic at sunrise). Otherwise, Tropic, Cannonville and Escalante are the 3 little towns that pop up along the route. I have no personal experience visiting any of those towns but I would assume there is some lodging available.

And I agree with the others, it is not a to die for experience but you could combine it with Lower Calf Creek Falls or find another decent hike in the area. It looks there are only 2 trails in the petrified forest for a total of less than 2 miles, so you'd definitely want to find something else to do in the area if you make the drive. Honestly if you aren't big hikers than I think 4 days in Zion is too long. You can definitely cut a day to give yourself more time in Bryce or Escalante.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 02:52 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I love LOVE Zion, but without major hikes, 4 days is definitely over kill IMO. And no, I would not go out of my way to visit either petrified forest.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 03:13 PM

I've stayed at Bryce Country Cabins in Tropic and can recommend it. I haven't visited the petrified forest in Escalante (only the one in AZ) but we loved Grand Staircase Escalante. You don't need to break up the drive from Bryce to Vegas with an overnight stop if that's what you mean. If you just want to see something more or less on the way, there's Cedar Breaks, the Kolob Canyons section of Zion, Snow Canyon or Valley of Fire. Those vary a great deal in elevation (descending as you travel toward Vegas) so it would also depend on the time of year you're traveling.
Old Apr 14th, 2019, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Great info! Maybe we will stay in Bryce at the lodge there one night.
Our trip is in 3 weeks!
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 07:39 AM

Here's the Petrified Forest in Arizona:

Old Apr 15th, 2019, 08:46 AM
J62

"Our trip is in 3 weeks!"

Be prepared for cold/winter weather / snow at Bryce as it's at 8000' elevation. I've been there in early May and had several inches of snow each night. It melts during the day, but you'll be amazed at how many tourists are there with just t-shirts, shorts and flip flops.

Even if it doesn't snow you should expect night and early am temperatures to be at or below freezing & layers / gloves / hat will go a long way to keeping you comfortable.

Zion will be much warmer as it's not at such high elevation and early May is great timing. With the heavy snow pack this year it's likely that you the Narrows will not be open due to high water levels. The local outfitters in town and the park rangers will be able to tell you when you get there. Unless there is flooding you should still be able to walk the ~1mi paved path from the bus stop to the start of the Narrows, and maybe a short way upstream. Expect the water to be cold (about 40 degrees). Here's a graph of the current water flow conditions. I believe the river flow needs to be below about 100 cfs to open up the Narrows.

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?09405500

Last edited by J62; Apr 15th, 2019 at 08:55 AM.
Old Apr 15th, 2019, 08:08 PM

I've been to Escalante's Petrified Forest
It is a miniature forest compared to that in Arizona.
You have climb a small hill to see the wood that is in a small pinion forest.
If you have not seen pet wood, I recommend stopping there.
When in town, have a pizza at Escalante Canyon Outfitters (they also sell booze)

A better petrified forest in found off the Burr Trail east of Boulder, Utah

Vaga
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Now I am thinking of going to see Escalante Grand Staircase after Bryce and driving to Vegas airport from there. All very doable. Thank you all
Old Apr 17th, 2019, 02:23 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
On the way back from Kingman AZ, be sure to stop to see Hoover Dam. Depending on the time of your flight out of McCarran, you might want to spend the night at the Hoover Dam Lodge and see the dam in the morning before heading to Vegas.
There is a ghost town (Chloride) north a few miles from US 93 which is quite interesting.
Old Apr 18th, 2019, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by tomfuller
On the way back from Kingman AZ, be sure to stop to see Hoover Dam.
Kingman is nowhere near the route from Escalante to Vegas.