Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Cambodia & Vietnam Trip Report

Search

Cambodia & Vietnam Trip Report

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1st, 2019, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tdiddy, I really enjoyed your report - very spontaneous, and you don’t hold back your thoughts and feelings, good or bad! It’s so helpful to know what is worthwhile but also what is not.

I so appreciate your description of the boat ride at Halong Bay, though I’m sorry you didn’t have a good experience. But you’ve helped (I hope! ) others know what to expect. I’m considering a trip next year and have been thinking about Bai Tu Long Bay and will also look into
Trang An.

Thanks for for a great report!

Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi progol,
Thanks for your kind words. I re-read my Halong Bay Rant and it is harsh! But it was right after the trip. Honestly, I can't tell people not to go to Halong Bay, because it really is a beautiful place on the surface. Do find a cruise that will take you to Bai Tu Long Bay, I think it is worth the extra money you will pay because fewer boats go there. We've all been on cookie cutter trips, I remember doing a 10 hr. whirlwind trip in Thailand, from Chiang Mai to Chiang Rai, in a van that stopped at all the same places as 20 other vans, but in that case, we weren't destroying the environment. But you know, that's what you are going to find in a developing country, unlike New Zealand where there is such a sense of pride in the cleanliness and protection. Vietnam is all about the Benjamins, or in this case the Dongs! Go to Vietnam, you will be a amazed at it, the people are such a joy and there are some amazing sites.
Old Apr 2nd, 2019, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Final Thoughts for the Un-Initiated Vietnam Traveler
1.It's way bigger and more urbanized than you imagine. You are going to see a lot more Bun Cha shops than water buffaloes.

2.What's up with the money? Seriously, a $500,000 Dong bill? There is a reason Ho Chi Minh looks a little like the Monopoly man.

3. Speaking English. English is spoken. In Vietnam, No means No and Yes means, I have no idea what you are talking about! You will be fooled on how deep you think their understanding may be. English in relationship to their job, the waiter will know all things English in regards to ordering, where is the WC etc. The hotel staff are usually quite good in information around their city. But if you ask how the economic changes of the 7th Congress, in 1986 have effected their lives...they will look at you, smile and say Yes.

4. Health Care - Buy a supplemental plan or check your coverage. My year of planning was side railed when my wife and I caught something in the Mekong, was it the food, the water, the snake bite? Who knows. Either way we spent $1,000 on medical bills in HCMC.

5. Every hotel bathroom in Vietnam has a large threshold "lip" going into the bathroom. It's to keep water in or as a Feng Shui element that will keep ghosts out of the bathroom because ghosts don't have knees and can't raise their legs over the threshold. (I made that last one up!) The threshold my be half an inch high or two inches, either way you will stub your toe in the middle of the night, guaranteed

6. They love neon! You'll see

7. The Chinese - I have been pretty disparaging of the Chinese tourist in this Trip Report for good reason...they deserve it. The are rude, noisy, pushy, will cut in line every time and they are all coal burners (smokers). Some will say it is cultural, regardless, next time out, I am throwing a few elbows because I come from the Dennis Rodman school of culture.

8. It's been done before and they know how to do it. I'm repeating myself here, but don't spend too much time Stateside or where ever, sweating the details. Whatever trip, destination or adventure you want to take, it's been done and they will help.

9. The people are wonderful. Bicycling through a village and having all the bystanders waving and saying Hello. It's so cool. Children coming up to you around Hoan Kiem lake and asking to practice English when 40 years ago we were bombing the shit out of their grandparents is proof that things can change.

10. Be kind. You are an element of the change. You are traveling, you are the artery of good in the world.

Thanks to everyone who followed along. Now go do it!

Last edited by Tdiddy12; Apr 2nd, 2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 02:25 PM

Great info thanks... we have booked the alternative to Halong
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 12:19 PM

Thanks for this. You really just helped us confirm a decision to visit Hue!
Old Apr 26th, 2019, 12:20 PM

Thanks. Now on my list!