Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > South America
Reload this Page >

What are the best ways to avoid tourist traps?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1st, 2018, 03:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I keep finding the places I go to are full of tourists! Nothing against them, im one too, but i'd just like to get more authentic experiences and not be surrounded by crowds of people... just like me
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 05:32 PM

If you are thinking of iconic sites anywhere, they are bound to be full of people wanting to see them. That isn't the same as a tourist trap, which is somewhere that gives little or no value for money and is aimed at fleecing tourists.It usually refers to restaurants and those are easily avoided. Walk around any city and it is easy to spot places which are not tourist traps. They are filled with locals, have prices displayed on their menus and don't feature prominently in online reviews or guidebooks..

As for places, expect a lot of visitors to iconic places. Macchu Picchu and Cuzco, Torres del Paine etc. are never going to be without them. They are crowded because there are a lot of people who want to see them. Iconic places are getting more and more crowded everywhere as people travel more and there are more people to travel. If you have more time you can get off the tourist trail for a while but you need to have the time to do that.

​​​​​​​If you mention a specific county people here might have some suggestions.
Old Aug 4th, 2018, 08:24 PM

Don’t read guide books, don’t visit travel forums. Try reading your government’s travel advisory website. Seek out the places they tell you to avoid and then go to those.