New York girls trip---a short trip over a long weekend

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As for New York City, it is a place apart. There is not its match in any other country in the world. -Pearl S. Buck

This was a long weekend with my sister who had never been to NYC. I come to NYC for business frequently and have been to NYC several times for fun but am no expert. It is a city that I love.

My sister didn't really have any specific things she wanted to do or see but I didn't want the trip to be just about what I wanted to see. It's hard for me to find the right balance when I don't get much input. She mentioned Central Park and Soho and that was about it. Dining --she asked for Italian food, maybe a a hot dog and pizza. I made her promise that we would visit Times Square (but not have dinner there).

I didn't plan the days too much but did make dinner reservations.

Hotel: Mostly points used to stay at Hilton Fashion District on West 26th between 6th and 7th. I've stayed there many times and it's close to subway stations, restaurants and other things to do.

I came in on Wednesday night for business and my sister arrived on Thursday. For any first time visitor to NYC, the cab ride from LGA to Manhattan is always memorable and she got the full effect of the honking, the traffic jams, flooring it, slamming on the brakes and the closer you get, the worse the traffic seems to get. I got us checked in and we had rooms on the same floor. The hotel did provide a small welcome gift to my sister (I emailed the manager prior to arriving). For June, the weather was cool and nice most of our visit. She had a long travel day with a few snafus but she got there and NYC has wine! Some unpacking and clean up time and we were off.

A quick subway ride got us to Terroir, so we started with some Rose, homemade chips and laughs. Our dinner reservation was at Locanda Verde at Greenwich Hotel. I love Tribeca and with nice weather.

Dinner was an Aperol Spritz---ravioli for her and Paccheri with ragu for me. I couldn't say "no" to the olive oil ice cream and I was happy that they will sell just one scoop (the order is usually 3 scoops). All of the food was really excellent and the service was also quite good. I have never been able to get a reservation there and it was worth the wait.

After dinner we walked to the river and down to Battery Park. She was excited to see the statue of Liberty in the distance and it was a great night to be outside. We did walk up to the 9/11 Memorial but at night, you can't walk up to the memorials so we decided to visit later. She tripped on a curb and skinned her knees and I wore the wrong shoes, so we cabbed it back to the hotel. It was a really great night and there was a lot on tap for Friday.

Tomorrow's plan: The Brooklyn Bridge, Katz's Deli, 9/11 Memorial, The Campbell, Smith & Wollensky and Times Square
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 08:01 AM

I grew up in NY and return once or twice a year usually for just 3 or 4 days at a time. You can pack so much into a short time. I can't wait to read the rest of your report!
Old Jun 26th, 2018, 10:42 AM

I took my sister to New York for her first trip there a couple of years ago and we had such a great time!

Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Day 2

I started out at High Line as it was super nice out and my sis was sleeping in a bit. The other part of that plan was to hit Doughnut Plant on 23rd on my way back.

I walked down 26th, climbed the stairs and made my way down toward the Meatpacking district. I love the High Line and lots of flowers are blooming now. As always, lots of building are also going nearby but I enjoy seeing the changing landscape and skyline.

I returned and exited at 23rd and over to Doughnut Plant where I got the last Cashew Orange Blossom Doughnut. So good. I can’t stay away from Doughnut Plant. Always interesting flavors, beautiful doughnuts and truly a treat. It ain’t just a doughnut.

I went back to the hotel to pick up my sister and we headed down to the Brooklyn Bridge. It wasn’t sunny out (and that was a good thing). It was pleasant temperature wise and we started our journey. And so did everyone else. It’s a nice walk and the views are obviously amazing. A look at Lady Liberty from a different vantage point than last night. But it was crowded and it’s hard to maintain a good consistent pace with all the people stopping for selfies.

I had been reminding my sis to watch out and not step into the bike path (and also on the streets as she found herself looking up a lot). Eventually, she did step right in front of a woman on a bike but honestly the woman was not managing the bike very well even without my sister’s mistake. She was not happy and not accepting our apologies. New York.

It was a nice walk but I would go much earlier as it really isn’t very wide and while you are not walking single file, it feels like you are. We decided to walk straight back to Manhattan rather than staying in Brooklyn. I think I was asked 4 times to take photos of people—not sure if I just look that nice or like I can at least operate an iPhone camera that well. I was popular. She wanted to go to Katz’s deli and I didn’t object.

We got there just before noon and there was not too much of a line at the carving station for pastrami. We split their wonderful and huge pastrami on rye with some potato salad and she was quite impressed. That pastrami is so good and tastes so much better than anything we can get in Atlanta for pastrami.

We took another subway ride afterwards back to the 9/11 memorial to see it up close during the day. She didn’t want to visit the museum this time and had told me that anything that involved a fire fighter was kind of emotional for her now. She recently escaped a house fire in just the nick of time but lost her home.

We visited both the north and south pools and I still am impressed at how well done the memorial is. Spotting the roses left for (to mark what would have been their birthday) those who were lost is heartbreaking.

After spending time viewing both pools and the names of the victims we decided our feet needed a break and we wanted to clean up before heading out for drinks and dinner.

My husband has been a bit obsessed with The Campbell so we took a train to Grand Central Terminal and made our way to this bar. Very cool. The wood is very ornate and it’s a great place for drinks. They could use some Persian rugs to dampen the noise a bit. There is a balcony overlooking the main bar. I believe it really did serve as an apartment for someone involved in Grand Central but I was focused on getting a glass of Champs to start my night with.

I did get in trouble for taking a flash picture but whatever.

My husband would have loved the place and I felt a little bad sending photos to him since he didn’t make this trip.

I wanted to leave some time to stroll the terminal and let her see the painted ceiling (and the Apple store) in GCT. It really is a beautiful building.

A short stroll over to Smith & Wollensky as it seems you need to visit a steak house while in NYC. It had been awhile since I had been to S&W. More Champs and you guessed—another request to take a photo from our table mates to the right. They were quite nice and have a tradition of going to S&W just mom and son every year before he goes to camp. They fly up from Fort Lauderdale and have dinner in NYC and then he gets on a bus to camp somewhere in PA for 6 weeks. She was quite talkative and did everything moms do to embarrass their kids. I am glad not to be 14 again!

On the other side, a father and son from Mexico. They were also great fun to chat with and we enjoyed their offer to build the wall Trump wants between Mexico and the US. They own a glass business (and I am sure NYC construction is great business for them) and propose to build the wall out of their glass. All in good fun. The steaks were good, the service was good. My dessert profiteroles were the size of softballs! Our conversation partners left and we hadn’t realized how late it was. I also hadn’t realized that some of our other fellow dining partners were irritated with us…maybe we had too much fun but I don’t care. We laughed and enjoyed meeting these people (which is why I love to travel). The waiters didn’t care and the night just flew by. I know my sister had a great time and that was my goal.

We decided to walk through Rock Center on the way back and she was excited to see St Patrick’s cathedral, the Prometheus statue and all those things you have seen your whole life in movies and TV. On past Radio City Music Hall and then on to Times Square.

You do need to see it at night. It was starting to rain a little but we didn’t really care and she was wide eyed at the spectacle of Times Square. It really is sensory overload. We wandered around for a while and she took lots of pictures. I once mentioned that it is spec-tacky-lar and it is.

We enjoyed it a bit too much and for too long as eventually the rain was coming down and we couldn’t get a taxi. We eventually found a subway station but it was too late to save the hair and we looked like rats that crawled out of a sewer drain.

We turned in about 12:30 to rest up for another day! I think we crammed in a lot and we had a blast.
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 10:22 AM

I continue to enjoy your TR so much!
Old Jun 27th, 2018, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 01:39 AM

loving your report!! I used to order the fried zucchini at S & W ...love that resto
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 11:37 AM

Loving your trip report!
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 04:28 PM

Thank you for your trip report, but not all of us New Yorkers are unfriendly or unhappy as you stereotype by your experience on the BB, although I would probably not be happy if you cut me off if I was on my bike in a designated path.
Old Jun 28th, 2018, 05:23 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Fun trip report but agree totally with Skiergirl about the unnecessary negative stereotying of New Yorkers.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 05:54 AM

Throughout all my trips to New York, I have found the locals to be quite helpful, accommodating and patient--way more than I probably would be, and I'm from the Midwest! The rude ones I've encountered have been the tourists...
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

You have to lighten up a little. I really was joking and in fact don't really think the biker woman was from NY. It was a mistake and apologies were made that were not accepted...not even a hint of a smile. I love that people who haven't commented at all will comment to chastise to you for "negative stereotyping". I didn't use the words unfriendly or unhappy...that was skiergirl. Sometimes, it's just funny. You don't have to agree.
Old Jun 29th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Day 3 – Saturday

Saturday AM started off at Doughnut Plant (it’s an obsession). Today, the Orange Blossom doughseed and Banana. I have to say I was impressed with the banana. It was quite good. Not as soft as a traditional yeast doughnut but also no fake taste. It was vegan and I am not a vegan (as you know from the trip to Smith and Wollensky) but maybe that is why it was a tad bit heavier than their traditional yeast doughnut. She has the Vahlrona Chocolate doughnut and we were both quite happy with our choices. She totally gets why this is not just a doughnut shop! That’s the important thing.

From there, it was on to the High Line which I think my sister enjoyed. I want it in my neighborhood! It was cloudy but still nice out and we walked to the end and did a few laps around the meatpacking district. I love the DVF store there. I thought I would take her to Chelsea Market to see what she thought about having lunch there one day.

It was still early enough that it wasn’t packed and there are so many tasty looking treats there. Something for everyone, I think.

We decided to cab it back to the hotel, clean up and decide on a lunch spot. Then a little shopping for nothing would be in order.

She did want to go back to Chelsea Market. She enjoyed her oysters at S&W the night before and we decided (and it was an agonizing decision) on Cull & Pistol. We sat at the bar and she got a nice looking cocktail and me, Rose wine. She chose several types of oysters from the East and West coast and I went for the Connecticut style lobster roll. Both were awesome and we were very happy with our choices. The service there is also very good and we had an up close seat to watch them prepare sea urchin (which looks like a challenging job).

From there, to SoHo…not my favorite but she wanted to check it out. I did promise my husband to visit Blue in Greene. He loves their denim and since he did not make the trip, I visited. They have all the raw denim names he knows and loves (and I know nothing about). We had a great sales person, Alfie who I put on the phone with my husband to chat about brands and denim weights, etc…w left with a pair that my husband is very happy with. I also love the neon tiger they have on the wall…the espresso bar and that they play vinyl.

So, a little bit around SoHo which is just SoSo for me. My sister wasn’t loving it so we went on to Little Italy which always break my heart a little. I think it probably used to be lovely and now is full of T shirt shops (with sayings like “You toucha my car I breaka your face”) and less authentic. Just my take on it. It’s worth a stroll but not my favorite neighborhood in NYC.

From there past all the “designer” stalls on Canal, wink wink and on to Chinatown. I like New York’s Chinatown more than San Francisco. I loved being in the little park watching the men play mahjong. Another group was playing the Erhu while his female partner sang along and “directed” him from an old book of music.

We ended up back in Little Italy at Ferrara’s for something sweet as a little pick me up. For June, it was a bit chilly and there was no sun the entire day. At least it wasn’t blazing hot.

Dinner that night was at Salinas in Chelsea. This restaurant is so beautiful and we were fortunate to sit in the garden area. The flowers are so gorgeous that hey actually print on the menu that they come from Equador, are expensive and that they will bill you if you take them!

We had a roasted cauliflower starter that was simply beautiful (and delicious). Oh, it is a Spanish restaurant. Main courses were branzino for me and a rice and red prawn dish for her, I had to also get the bravas (so good). The food was wonderful and again, this place is just so pretty. We skipped on dessert but decided to move into the bar for a cava or two and girl talk. More lovely roses and beautiful lanterns that give off light that everyone looks younger in!

Again, we had a wonderful time and enjoyed our day so much. We walked back to our hotel around 11:30 to turn in before our Sunday.

Next – Central Park, Columbus Circle, Papaya King, Maialino and the Pride parade
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 04:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am really enjoying your report. I also love to travel with my sister.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Thanks- it was fun to do something nice for her and watch someone who has never been to NYC before! It's such a great and iconic city. NYC never gets old and there's almost nothing you can't get in there.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 05:31 AM

Denisea, we are among the NYC lovers and thoroughly enjoyed your TR! Glad you and your sister had a nice trip!
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Hi tomarkot - always good to hear from you. I hope to get some more posted later today or tomorrow (before I forget it all ).
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 12:35 PM

I, too, am enjoying your NYC trip report. I love the city - wish I could visit more often.
Old Jun 30th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Original Poster

Sunday started with a little light packing before heading to brunch at Cookshop. A short walk from the hotel and we were there. On the way, lots of rainbow flags and fun outfits as people were making the way down for the beginning of the Pride parade.

Cookshop has a great brunch menu and I wanted a cocktail, but decided that I might regret it later. I ordered a strawberry scone with strawberry butter and a cheddar & spinach scramble. Both were excellent and my sister enjoyed her baked eggs with bacon.

We both enjoyed our brunch and then headed to Central Park. I was sunny out but getting more humid, so I was hoping stay in shade. I have never spent much time in Central Park. We entered at West 81st and made our way down past The Lake to Strawberry Fields and the Imagine Mosaic. I don’t know why I hadn’t realized that the Dakota looms right over that section of the park. It just makes ya a little sad.

It’s fun to see all the views in Central Park that you have seen in movies and TV. My sister loved it and worked our past Cherry Hill to Bethesda Fountain & Bethesda Terrace. Oh my goodness, the tile ceiling in the arcade is so pretty and we were fortunate to have a classical guitar musician playing while we strolled around. Such a beautiful and unexpected thing. I love little surprises like this.

We walked on toward the Conservatory Water and watched the boats for a while (and love the one that pulls a “family” of little yellow rubber ducks). We sat for a bit before moving on to the statue of Hans Christian Anderson and then to the famed Alice in Wonderland sculpture. A little something for everyone in Central Park.

From there, we wandered past Cedar Hill and on to Turtle Pond…lots of turtles surfacing and sunning themselves on rocks. We also saw a guy “teaching” some sort of dance class but to us it looked like he was just making it up as he went (and no one in the class seemed to be “getting” it. Past The Met, past The Obelisk and the King Jagiello monument. The Belvedere Castle was covered on scaffolding (bummer) but were were getting a little warm and I was craving a soft serve cone. We found that on the way to the subway! Just like when we were kids going to Dairy Freeze, I got chocolate and she got vanilla.

From there we decided to head to Columbus Circle…worth a look and she wanted to see if Jo Malone or Diptyque would have a candle for her new place (she is moving in next week). We found one at Diptyque and I got a limited edition New York candle (it is supposed to be reminiscent of a 1920s speakeasy and my husband will love that).

We caught a cab back and she was glad we had visited Times Square at night…driving through in the day, it just doesn’t have the same impact. I decided that a hot dog might be in order as dinner was still hours away. Papaya King fit the bill and we went back to clean up before our dinner at Maialino.

I realized that we would need to walk to dinner because of the traffic. As we approached 5th we watched a bit of the parade. Tons of people out enjoying the day and the parade and just had to make our way to a pedestrian crossing right at the Flatiron building which is my second favorite building in the city. We decided to visit the Rose Bar a Grammercy Hotel for a glass of Champs before dinner. They had Ruinart Rose which is a favorite and we just visiting the Champagne House in Reims a few months ago.

When time came we moved to Maialino and started with some olives. For dinner, I got cacao e pepe and she got the house specialty suckling pig and potatoes. Both delicious! We didn’t need dessert but got an assortment of cookies anyway (and we both agreed the ginger cookie was the best of the bunch).

It began to rain as we made our back but we enjoyed seeing the Empire State building One World Trade lit up with rainbow lighting to mark the Pride celebration.

We were both tired but happy to have had another great day in New York. We had no real plans for the next day...the last day.
Old Jul 1st, 2018, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

On Monday we awoke to cooler, less humid weather. It would have been perfect for our day in Central Park but that's how it goes. We did not have real specific plans but one thing she mentioned that she wanted to do was to get pizza. That's a good goal and I do love pizza. While there are tons of spots to go fin NYC or a slice, they aren't always memorable.

I had a little work to do that AM and we just decided to check out, store our bags and head out for lunch around 11am. I thought Rubirosa in Nolita would be a good place to go. We wandered around the neighborhood. It's a great place to walk around with no place to go in mind...lots of nice looking shops and restaurants. I definitely want to spend more time here on my next visit. Just when you think you have seen it all in NYC, then we walked past a place dedicated to rice pudding (Rice to Riches). Who knew? This proves my point that you can find/get anything in New York.

The menu at Rubirosa has all kinds of Italian items, arincini, meatballs, all kinds of panini, pasta AND pizza. We chose a large pizza half traditional cheese for her and margherita for me.

It was a gorgeous pizza and very tasty. Not what many say traditional NYC pizza with that foldable crust but very crispy/thin crust and that's my favorite. We had a few slices left and I took them with us. I felt sure we would see someone while out and about who might want a few slices of pizza. I usually don't give money to people on the street but don't mind giving food if I can.

When we left, as soon as we got on the subway there was a man asking for anything so we gave the pizza to him. We were close to Washington Square Park, which to me is another memorable spot and one that we all have seen on the screen. What a gorgeous day for the fountain and the arch! There is also a perfect view of One World Trade there. Lots of people out and about and enjoying perfect lunch hour weather.

From there we walked up Fifth to Eataly. We only purchased a bottle of water at Eataly but it's worth a few laps around as they have all things Italian. My sister was impressed as they don't have anything like it in the Memphis area. From there we took a few shots of the Flatiron building and visited the dog play area across the street in Madison Square Park.

There wasn't much more to do from there and we decided to head to the airport and skip the traffic on the way to LGA. We were both on Delta but in different terminals and I was trying to get on an earlier flight out. I got a notification that my flight was delayed. Once we checked in and got through security, I walked her to her terminal and then went to the gate for the stand by flight. Not happening. Not even close. In the SkyClub, I was doing some work and realizing that my flight was getting more and more delayed. At this point hours and I also know that eventually the crew will time out. I decided to ask to be booked the next morning rather than wait around for hours for a flight that might not take place.

I made a room reservation and took a cab back into the city. I was tracking my sister's flight and they left a little late but her flight was complete by the time I got into my room.

I did get out the next AM and checked my original flight. I did go but at about 1am. I would not have gotten home until 4am, so I am glad I didn't wait around for that. Exhausting.

It was a great trip and we were laughing about the fact that when she gets back, friends will ask did you go "here", did you do "this", what about "that"? We did not go to museums or shows...it more about the neighborhood, sights and food in NYC. She feels like we did a lot but we both agree that she will be answering no to a lot of questions about what we did. I feel like a still haven't even scratched the surface of NYC. Not even close and that's OK. There is so much to experience in NYC. It's been years since I have been to a show, I've never been to The Carlyle, I haven't been up in One World Trade or been to the 9/11 Museum, I want to dine at Le Bernardin again and the list goes on and on.

We really enjoyed this trip and were lucky to get weather that was not super hot. No regrets about any place we went (even Papaya King) and the places we didn't get to this time. There will be other times to visit and see more of the city. It's one of my favorites!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -