Mean Girls Musical ok for tweens?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2018, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a recommendation for a show that is appropriate for kids ages 11-13 in October. I prefer no profanity or lewd comments. I can't find any info on if Mean Girls is appropriate for kids. Please advise. If not recommended, can anyone recommend a clean show? I did see Sponge Bob is being offered but not sure if they will want to attend that one.

Hamilton would be nice but it's too expensive. We are seeing Wicked in another city and they don't want to see Lion King, Les Mis.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 11:20 AM

There are lewd comments and vulgar words in lyrics and elsewhere. References to condoms, crotch-grabbing behavior, and other stuff inccludig gay slurs. It's par for the course in Broadway shows, it is often added gratuitously in shows that don't even need it. read this and decide

Review: Tina Fey?s ?Mean Girls? Broadway Musical Is Vapid, Tasteless | Observer

How about Come from Away? Hello Dolly is certainly tame but doubt if it would interest kids that age. There is Harry Potter of course, but I bet that's expensive.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 02:02 PM

Have you seen Mean Girls the movie? Because I saw that with tween cousins. It was not something my mother would have taken us to, but it didn’t contain anything my cousins hadn’t seen yet. So I think it depends on what your tweens watch on a regular basis. The critic who wrote the article was clearly not the target audience of either the movie or the play.

even Hamilton has adult material, and I’m not sure it really fits your request.

Anastasia, maybe?
Old May 2nd, 2018, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by marvelousmouse
The critic who wrote the article was clearly not the target audience of either the movie or the play.
The critic also has some of his/her facts wrong with respect to the movie and that the book "Queen Bees and Wannabees" (the book the movie was based on) wasn't written by Tina Fey.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by kureiff
The critic also has some of his/her facts wrong with respect to the movie and that the book "Queen Bees and Wannabees" (the book the movie was based on) wasn't written by Tina Fey.
lol. I did wonder about that but I thought I was misremembering.

Tina Fey did write the “book” of the movie, so I think the critic was just sloppy on his/her way to bash it.
Old May 2nd, 2018, 02:54 PM

Are the children male or female? That makes a difference. If they are girls, i would think that Frozen or Wicked would be perfect for them.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 06:14 AM

Oh, and Hello Dolly could be really fun for them--and a history lesson!!
Old May 3rd, 2018, 07:12 AM

What an odd comment to make Howard. Borders on offensive although I am sure that was not your intent.

I doubt a 13 year old girll would be any more interested in Frozen the a boy.

Last edited by Inakauaidavidababy; May 3rd, 2018 at 07:16 AM.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:23 AM

My comment on Frozen's appeal is not the least bit offensve, but a statement of fact. It's a commonly accepted reality that the movie appealed to girls more than boys. Period. Sorry, Inakauaidavidababt, but you're way off base. Further, no matter what the reality, I hardly find my comment the least bit offensive!
Old May 3rd, 2018, 08:46 AM

ok
Old May 3rd, 2018, 11:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by kureiff
Who knew Rex Reed was still around. He's always been a little prissy. I thought the movie was pretty good.
Old May 3rd, 2018, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by tom42
Who knew Rex Reed was still around. He's always been a little prissy. I thought the movie was pretty good.
I love the movie. It's so fetch.

The Broadway show seems like it might be too long, but I'd still like to see it.
Old May 8th, 2018, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

We are already seeing Wicked back home. We have a 12 and 13 year old girls and 11 year old boy. I will check out Anastasia details. They won't want to see Frozen. Thanks.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 09:25 AM

Frozen meant for younger girls (under 8); Lion King always delights; I was thinking of Mean Girls for my 10 & 13 granddaughters, but after reading reviews, no way. Is Waitress closing? Come From Away might be strange for them as they werent around for 9/11 (thank goodness). I am searching for my girls too. Perhaps Harry Potter??
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 09:46 AM

Oh geez, forget Beetlejuice, the younger one would freak out with the zombies, etc. And Harry Potter is a two-part production, both to be seen separately but on the same day, and each part being over 2 1/2 hours. No thanks.
Old Oct 26th, 2019, 02:31 PM

Ummm so people are still responding to a thread asking about something a year ago. Meanwhile most of these shows are closed. Seriously — do people read posts before they reply?
Old Oct 28th, 2019, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by NeoPatrick
Ummm so people are still responding to a thread asking about something a year ago. Meanwhile most of these shows are closed. Seriously — do people read posts before they reply?
Aliced is looking for the same thing, though, so it makes sense.

Alice, what exactly are you looking for? The two best kid friendly options seem to be To Kill a Mockingbird and Aladdin. As I’m not a huge Aladdin fan, I’d probably choose to kill a mockingbird if I was taking a niece or nephew.

I’d pick either Chicago or Come from Away. I loved the Chicago as a kid/tween but I’d imagine you might see that as too mature if you object to MG. And everyone I know who has seen CFA has spoken highly of it. I don’t think it matters that the kids weren’t around. 9/11 certainly a tangible part of NYC/east coast in general.

If you're going during the holiday season, and just want a quick fun show, I recommend the Rockettes.

Waitress closes early Jan. I skipped HP for the same reason, but if the kids are into it, it probably is the best choice. I’d rather sit through that than mean girls in any case.
Old Oct 29th, 2019, 10:27 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I do wish people would start a new thread to ask a question instead of topping an out-of-date one. People end up responding to the 'dead thread' and often don't even see the new question.