Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Which San Antonio Missions Would You Pick?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've visited San Antonio in the past, but usually overnighting and leaving at some point the next day. I like the city and am excited that for once I'll have a full day to explore, and thought I might like to check out the Missions on the following bus route. I notice there are 4 missions I've never been to before. 4 missions might be a lot in a day to check out, so if we decide to visit only one or two, which would you prioritize? The bus route stops at Mission Concepcion, San Jose, San Juan and Espada. I enjoy history, but also lovely grounds, architecture or natural setting would not go unappreciated. In previous trips, I stayed near the Alamo and did a boat tour along the Riverwalk. I again am staying near the Alamo.

http://www.viainfo.net/wp-content/up...le_01_2018.pdf

Last edited by Daniel_Williams; Apr 22nd, 2018 at 12:14 PM. Reason: clarification
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 09:59 PM

Daniel, my son and I went to the first two of the four-- Concepcion and San Jose. Both were excellent. We were lucky to find a volunteer guide at Concepcion, and he really knew the symbolism in the painting and decor. Keep an eye out for these volunteers. San Jose was the most complete, and there were staff there as well as guides. They all were very friendly. Dont miss the mill at the back. I enjoyed this site far more than the Alamo.

We did not make it to the last two, due to hunger for lunch, and really there was nothing around. Sadly, there is significant poverty visible as you drive along the Mission Drive.

If you have not been, you might also visit El Mercado, the largest Mexican market outside Mexico. Eat at Mi Tierra Cafe if you can. You have to take a number and come back with a buzzer but it is worth doing. Nearby is the San Fernando Cathedral and the Spanish Governor's Mansion. We really liked this historic house.

​​​​​​
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

5alive--Thank you so much for your kind & insightful response! Sounds like San Jose would be your first choice if we have time for just one (?), although Concepcion sounds like a great choice for #2. I thank you as well for the Spanish Governor's Mansion and the Mi Tierra suggestion--don't know necessarily that we'll be doing Mexican food while there, considering we're going to Monterrey & points south after, but maybe. Loving that I actually have an entire day to explore in SA & with a friend to boot!

If anyone has thoughts on the other two (Espada & San Juan), I'd love to hear them as well.
Old Apr 23rd, 2018, 01:09 PM

Concepcion does not take long, and has interesting artwork. Keep it short there--30 min? --and you easily can do both.

Of the other two, my recollection is that one is almost entirely rebuilt. All of them had some level of reconstruction, to be fair though.
Old Apr 25th, 2018, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

5Alive--Thanks for the suggestion of Concepcion since it is fast.

Best wishes, Daniel
Old Jul 28th, 2018, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

5alive: Thanks again for all your help in planning my visit to the San Antonio Missions. I wrote a trip report on my visit in the underlined link, which indicates I only ended up visiting the San Jose Mission. The national historic site did an excellent job I felt explaining this fascinating part of US history. I guess I'll have to go back one day to visit San Juan, Espada and Concepcion to have a more complete picture!

Here's the link: Canada to Belize without flying?